Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew something was wrong as soon as I opened the package the UPS man left. Rather than the normal cardboard/paper seal on the game box, my new copy of Blood Feud in New York (ordered through the Wal Mart "clearance" sale as mentioned in another thread) was sealed with a strip of tape on each of the four sides. The corner was torn, too ... not as big an issue with me since I'm not a "collector" and as long as the game is in playable shape that's good enough for me. And I did buy it on "clearance" after all ... But it was obvious to me that the game had already been purchased and returned.

The contents were all there, which was a good thing ... but the bad news was the board. Warped. Not mildly ... but serious hills and valleys.

So, I'm not sure if my issue is with Eagle Games or not. I KNOW I have an issue with Wal-Mart recycling something that's already been returned. But from history I know it'll do no damn good to try reasoning with Wal-Mart.

So ... are there any good suggestions for overcoming board warpage? I've got the board (and a beautiful board it is, btw) under a stack of books right now but I'm not sure that will do the job.

Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I was sure you had coined a new word. Wargame, warroom, warpage--a Web page dedicated to wargames.

Anyway, my first thought was similar to yours. Huge stack of heavyweight books. Maybe a few dozen cans of beans on top of that. But I wonder if you were to place that stack in the bathroom with the higher humidity. Would that hasten the process? Just a thought.

And I'm certainly no WalMart appologist, but I wonder if they were even aware that this was a problem product. Retailers do resell product that is returned simply because the purchaser either doesn't want it or has multiple copies (not everyone fills out the return slip detailing problems--they just check off that they already have one or they didn't want it, thus making the clerk think it's perfectly in order). And your average person wouldn't realize that a warped game board is a problem. After all, I've seen too many ads trumpeting a game and then mentioning "several cards are missing and the board is ripped, but that shouldn't be a problem--a beautiful game." And I've seen those types of comments not on eBay, but in the American Boardgame Collectors national publication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.