Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the base game and would like one expansion but I don't want to over complicate things, which would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Expansion for minimal changes
Curse of the Dark Pharaoh or Black Goat of the Woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the base game tend to become "easy" after some time, I would recommend The King in Yellow expansion.

Give you some tough choices and increases the difficulty a good notch or two.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the two Tibs mentioned, but King in Yellow is really simple to integrate. The actual herald sheet is like 2 lines of text (but still has a good impact on the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy any of them that take your fancy. Read the flavour text on FFG's website to see which one appeals the most. It doesn't matter which you get first 'cos you will buy them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A small-box expansion would make sense. Any of them will add some good stuff, without changing things too much. King in Yellow and Dark Pharoah are generally considered the best of the small-box expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
mccrispy wrote:
Buy any of them that take your fancy. Read the flavour text on FFG's website to see which one appeals the most. It doesn't matter which you get first 'cos you will buy them all.

I don't even like Arkham Horror, and this was still true for me. I had to buy them all to see if I would like them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BanjoChutney wrote:
A small-box expansion would make sense. Any of them will add some good stuff, without changing things too much. King in Yellow and Dark Pharoah are generally considered the best of the small-box expansions.

These seem a little more involved, is the Black Goat the easiest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
BanjoChutney wrote:

Well this is Arkham Horror. Expansions add to the madness. It would be helpful if you could give a clearer indication of what you are after, because they all add complexity.

It almost sounds like you should grab a big box expansion and then not use the expansion board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
BanjoChutney wrote:

Well this is Arkham Horror. Expansions add to the madness. It would be helpful if you could give a clearer indication of what you are after, because they all add complexity.

It almost sounds like you should grab a big box expansion and then not use the expansion board.

Perhaps you are right. I just want to add more variety to the base game to keep things interesting without adding lots of new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Krawhitham wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
BanjoChutney wrote:

Perhaps you are right. I just want to add more variety to the base game to keep things interesting without adding lots of new rules.

Well I own Innsmouth, which adds the most new characters and Ancient One's, however I would have bought Dunwich had it not been out of print when I had the itch to expand. Dunwich adds tons of new items, and you can pick and choose what to add (the same with any expansion).

I would suggest Dunwich for you, to simply expand the existing features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
The extra rules that expansions bring to the game is not a very big issue.
The complexity would then be to keep track of the extra mechanics that the expansions bring. But the rules in itself are simple.

I would also recommend Dunwich Horror, one of the big expansion, to start with. Innsmouth Horror bring you the most investigators and monsters though and Kingsport Horror comes with the epic battle cards for example. So there are always something handy in every box, big or small.

Or else, just get one or two small boxes and go from there. That might the best tip of the day.
Remember, if you are well versed in the standard game and the rules, the extra rules that come with expansions won´t be a problem for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

If using the herald it is actually the hardest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so which big box is the most interesting and why? Do any make the game potentially easier or more interesting? Sometimes I feel the game can be a little repetitive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the choice of any big box expansion, then Dunwich Horror wins, hands down.

It has more sites, a new board, and Injuries and Madnesses, which you'll love, as they make going insane/unconscious less of a headache. Also, the rules added aren't too complex.

As for the small box expansions, I'll chime in with King in Yellow. If you leave out the herald, you just have one new rule, the acts.

I have used both of these expansions with absolute newbies and it was no more of a problem than using just the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Ok so which big box is the most interesting and why?
I'm going to take that at face value and answer "Innsmouth". It's by far the most interesting because it has the Deep Ones Rising track, Innsmouth Jail (and Jailbreaks), Martial Law, Personal Stories, Vortexes - just so much extra stuff to make it interesting. It's also significantly harder than the other big box expansions, but you didn't ask about that.
Quote:
Do any make the game potentially easier
No
Quote:
or more interesting?
I answered this already
Quote:
Sometimes I feel the game can be a little repetitive
At some level, all games are repetitive. "You take a turn, I take a turn". Perhaps you could expand a little on the repetitive aspect of the game that bugs you.

You're not going to get away from the "grab some Clues, jump through a Gate, travel the OW, Return to Arkham, Seal a Gate" cycle. That's the game. If you want stuff to distract you from the core cycle (and inevitably make the game harder, 'cos if you're not doing core cycle then you are potentially wasting resources, which automatically makes the game harder), then you need something with extra "on board" activities to pursue. All the big box expansions have such a distraction: Innsmouth has the Deep Ones Rising and Vortexes, Dunwich has Vortexes and Kingsport has Rift control through additional Encounters.

The small boxes don't do this so much, but Pharaoh has the Exhibition stuff and the occasional Riot, Lurker has Pacts and the interesting new Gate types, while Goat has the cult. King in Yellow has Blight. All these expansions add variety to the base game, which even though it has sufficient Mythos and Gate cards that you'll never see the same game twice, it does lack a little variety in Location Encounters.

I haven't mentioned Miskatonic yet, because it's probably only worth getting once you have at least one expansion. However, it adds more value every time you buy another expansion - especially if you play multiple expansions at the same time.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Ok so which big box is the most interesting and why? Do any make the game potentially easier or more interesting? Sometimes I feel the game can be a little repetitive

If you feel the game being repetitive you can always wander off from the ordinary tactics that includes collecting clues and sealing gates. There are many locations to encounter, many of them to you own demise though, but it will make the game harder. You can also find "tasks" and "missions", included in the Dunwich Horror expansion that you can try to complete to grant extra benefits in the game. I often experience these hard to accomplish since they take focus from the main goal of the game, but it´s not impossible.
Also, don´t forget the personal stories included in the Innsmouth Horror expansion. Those also add extra and different focus in the game.
You can also assign different tasks to different investigators. Some are for example better at killing monsters and others are more suitable for traveling through other worlds.
The game is generally hard to beat which makes you wanna go safe and just do what you have to do. This can sometime make it quite repetitive ofcourse.

Keep reading the threads here on BGG. You may find some houserules too that can be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everybody's made great suggestions and backed them up with the whys and hows.

But just to be different, I'll say that since the cards included in Lurker have literally NO theme, they can be folded in to your decks without steering the game in a specific direction--storywise or difficulty.

Then later, if you decide to add in the relationship cards or the new gates, you're not going to overwhelm yourself with new rules.

This is ignoring the Herald of course, whose main power is to send gamers to the internet to find ways to make him more useful. I've got one of many threads on BGG where people told me ways of integrating the Herald in Lurker at the Threshold without upsetting the balance of the game.

But yeah, the Mythos cards, OWs, and Investigator cards are all just "more of them same" in a good way. I put them into the base game and then forgot about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lurker herald arguably makes the game easier without the addition of the various Miskatonic dark pact Reckoning cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
The Lurker herald arguably makes the game easier without the addition of the various Miskatonic dark pact cards.

I thought it required the Miskatonic expansion? Aren't the new gates harder? The relationship idea sounds interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
No, Miskatonic came last; it supplements all previous expansions but isn't required to be able to use any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
The Lurker herald arguably makes the game easier without the addition of the various Miskatonic dark pact cards.

I thought it required the Miskatonic expansion? Aren't the new gates harder? The relationship idea sounds interesting

They are but you aren't required by law to use them

When I play with lurker I use both standard and lurker gates and roll a die to see which pile I draw a new gate from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to see an example of how somebody (me) combines the various components in the game, take a look at this GL Arkham Horror: Game Component Setups used by mccrispy. It might give you an idea of the value of some components from the point of view of usefulness even when the host expansion isn't used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and yet another... I 've sent this to several Arkhamites per week for about the past month.

For those of you who play "all-in" games (using every aspect of every expansion) with four Investigators, I offer you the folllowing variant. Of course, if you play with more or less than four Investigators, your mileage will definitely vary.

General Guidance

Mythos 0 - Turn 4: As you put into play the Mythos card, only place gates in Arkham. Ignore Double-Doom cards and Rumors. If you reveal an expansion board Gate location, resolve everything else...Monster Movement, Clue token, and Headline/Environment. Starting on Turn 5, play each Mythos card, as normal, revealing Gates anywhere on any board. Rationale: In this way, you should, based on the percentages for each Gate opening, have 2-3 Gates open in the first four Turns, instead of 4-5.

Rumors: Reduce the # of tokens, as if you were playing with two Investigators for Rumors such as Nightmare Pool, but for The Key and the Gate, consider 4 Investigators in play. Rationale: Rumors should be difficult to pass, but not impossible, given the great distances Investigators must travel when all boards are in play.

Maximum # of Gates: 10. Rationale: There are 20 Unstable Locations across the four boards. Ten open Gates represents 50% of all of the locations with the potential to spawn a Gate.

Maximum # of Monsters in Arkham and the Outskirts: 5. Rationale: As with Rumors, above, playing as if you had two Investigators would warrant a Maximum # of Monsters in Arkham at 2 + 3= 5 and for simplicity, I've used the same value for the Maximum # of Monsters in the Outskirts.

Expansion Changes

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh: No changes (I currently have incorporated both the original and the new version, so play includes both "Barred from Neighborhood" cards and Patrol Markers).

Dunwich Horror: No changes

The King in Yellow: No changes

Kingsport Horror: Apply a Rift Marker/Token to the Rift Track only when a new Gate opens on any board, including Gate Bursts. Optional: As the Rifts occur over the town of Kingsport, place the newly opened Rift at the location designated by the last placed Rift Marker/Token on the Rift Track instead of at the Gate location on the Mythos card. Rationale: Performing "Rift Duty" can prove boring for most Investigators. At least having a potential combat in Kingsport should make things interesting. Also, Rifts opening in Kingsport, is the very premise of the expansion...these tears in the fabric are happening over this coastal city.

Black Goat of the Woods: No changes

Innsmouth Horror: Place a Deep Ones Token on the Deep Ones Rising (DOR) Track only when a monster enters a vortex. Additionally, once the DOR Track is full, add a Doom Token to the Doom Track instead of automatically awakening the Great Old One. This happens during every Mythos Phase while the DOR Track remains filled. Rationale: Similar to the Rifts in Kingsport, the DOR Track should not be the focus of the Investigator's skills and abilities, but there are times when they may need to travel there and deal with the situation. The DOR Track should not serve as a 2nd Doom Track.

Lurker at the Threshold: You may not use the Power tokens as Clue tokens when the card is exhausted. Thus, if an Investigator takes a Blood Pact, exhausts the card and sacrifices 3 Stamina to receive the 3 Power tokens, place them on the exhausted Blood Pact card. During the next Turn's Upkeep Phase, refresh the Blood Pact card, allowing the Investigator to use the Power tokens. Rationale: Given the currently accepted rule, it's far too easy to exploit the Lurker.

Miskatonic Horror: No change

That's it ~ a few tweaks and I can tell you that it works very well. Again, Arkham Horror isn't about winning, it's a about the story, the theme. As I've said many times before, "it's about the journey, not the destination." If I can maintain a win rate consistent with the average based on more than 10,000 games on Tibs' spreadsheet, while enjoying the game that much more, great!

If you have any thoughts or comments, please let me know. Happy Gaming!

Cheers, Joe/the Professor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of posting that damn great thing every time I post a link to my GL, why don't you create a reference GL yourself? It's neater IMO to reference a GL than dump a whacking great block into the thread every time you feel the need to counter my PoV (which you are of course entitled to do). Not only that, but you can maintain the GL and all links will point to the updated GL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.