Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olli Mäkiketola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have German version of the game and I don't speak the language, I've been using rules translation here and my common sense. Usually I've been playing under these interpretation of rules (regarding turn order):
1) Players determine how much income they would gain from income card and higher income plays first. Meaning that event cards aren't considered yet.
2) Ties are resolved using small number on top part of income cards. Higher small number wins ties.

I only added first statement there so that I can be absolutely sure It's right. There was some discussion about second one since printed english rules that I had didn't have anything mentioned about whether the small number should be bigger or smaller to win a tie. A friend of mine who reads germanese did in fact read from original rules that smaller number should win ties. We did play that way then, but later it got me thinking there must be a typo or he read/understood something wrong.

If you play according Dorra's recommendations that blue starts etc. blue also wins ties with 6 and 5 income cards.. that can't be right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the English rules in front of me but I'm pretty sure you never include positive or negative income due to the turned up expedition card when determining turn order.

Turn order is determined solely by the card you turn up from your hand and the largest white number goes first during ties.

It's only when you are taking your income during your turn that you add or subtract the effect of the expedition card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops...forgot. We don't play that blue goes first. I did recently read a posting about an original rule that didn't make it in production where the white numbers were not on the cards. Instead, players had a numbered chit and during ties, the higher number went first but then the chits had to exchange places giving the higher number to the 'loser' of the tie for future expeditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
When players have chosen their card and laid it open, they add the number in the upper corners to the number of their tiles of the depicted type. That result is what my German rules call the 'Geldwert'---'money value'. (There's some extra rules explaining what to do when you play your 6- or 0-cards, or when you have an indian added to one of your 'collectables'.) That value determines player order, with ties won (meaning, him going first) by whomever has played the highest white number. The German rules, while clear, are confusing because they use 'lowest' and 'highest' in the same sentence. In other words, it is not just the card you play, it is also the number of tiles laying in front of you which determines who goes first. That makes ties less likely.

Alternatively, you can forego the white number-mechanic, and use the author's original tie-braking scheme (see the Variants-section). I'm not saying it is better or worse, as I haven't played Amazonas that way yet.

Once player order has been determined, players collect their income when it is their turn---and only then do you take into account the occurrence card, which can alter your income.

When not taking into account collected tiles---and that's a big 'if'---the highest white number-mechanic therefore favours red and white, and not blue. But this only applies if you have the german edition of the game: the dutch and slovakian reprints have had their white numbers altered to introduce better balance. That is why the author suggested to let blue go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Mäkiketola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
When not taking into account collected tiles---and that's a big 'if'---the highest white number-mechanic therefore favours red and white, and not blue. But this only applies if you have the german edition of the game: the dutch and slovakian reprints have had their white numbers altered to introduce better balance. That is why the author suggested to let blue go first.

Thanks for excellent reply (and to Matthew too). Interesting to know that white numbers have been altered in further prints. Actually I'm going to at least try that "original" way resolving ties next time and see if that feels right. It should give balanced gaming without ackward "blue plays first" -thingy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.