Dungeon Heroes» Forums » General

Subject: Solo game too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
I was unable to find an opponent today, so I tried the solo game.
I played two games. The first one had most of the monsters in the back, the other somewhat in the middle. I had no problems winning both games and I wonder whether is too easy. What do you think about the difficulty of the solo game?

I am a cautious player in general and here is my strategy:
I never go to a hidden tile, but use the wizard to reveal two tiles a turn. I only reveal tiles which the warrior is able to reach, so any monster will be killed right away. Using the warrior and rogue, I soon have some open space to be able to move around. Then, when the wave of monsters come I have my warrior in the front with the priest behind and the others in the back. I either kill a monster by moving the warrior to the front and back so it will stay out of danger, or kill two and have the priest nearby to heal him the next turn.
When the warrior gets too much damage I retreat him and shield/heal him as much as possible.
I didn't need it, but you can always use the rogue to sneak behind the monsters. Since all tiles are revealed by that time, it can go right to the treasures or even distract one or two monsters since it can easily outrun them. After all, you always know exactely where the monsters will go to.

Don't get me wrong; I had quite some fun playing the solo game, but I thought it was a little easy. But maybe I am doing something wrong. The warrior can attack twice a turn, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert, and I have been learning the game myself, but I wonder if you are playing the monsters wrong: once they get close to you, it is a challenge to figure out how to actually get passed them safely, and it doesn't take very many hits to kill your warrior (or any other hero).

Remember that goblins move diagonally, and as they all advance from the rows you reveal, I have found that you can have a large wall of monsters advancing on your position and yet they are still standing on some traps and other problems as they get close to you.

I think the warrior will have some good kills, but will get overwhelmed while there are still several monsters left. In my limited experience, a good strategy might require having most of the heroes lure away the monsters and intentionally getting killed, so that the last hero standing rule kicks in for the rogue, and he can sprint passed the monsters with a space to spare (in order to not simply get attacked immediately from behind by goblins moving diagonally and killing him in two hits).

Where the monsters are hiding originally matters a lot, I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Patrick,

Without seeing exactly how the tiles came out for your games it is hard for me to assess the exact situation.

I will say that I have found Solo play to be rather difficult.

If I keep my Heroes back and play conservative than I find that my Heroes get overwhelmed by the onslaught on Monsters. My warrior will get a few critical kills in before he dies but like Ben mentioned, if the monsters are being used with the appropriate aggression the warrior gets overrun.

If I play more aggressive with the Heroes and make progress into the Dungeon it comes at the cost of higher risk.

Victory can be had with either strategy but so can defeat.

If you continue to find that the game is not challenging you enough and all rules are being followed try adding the requirement that you MUST take ALL actions with each Hero before moving onto the next phase.

The official rule is you must take between 4 and 8 actions each Hero turn, exception being only 1 Hero remains, then it is 1-3 actions.

Try requiring every Hero to take all their actions each turn and let me know how that works for you. Keep in mind the Cleric cannot burn actions healing a Hero with full health.

Thanks Patrick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I checked your newest comments on the other topics and as far as I can tell, I played the rules correctly.
But to make sure, I made a stopmotion video of my latest game. I hope you have time to check it and tell me whether I played it the right way.

This was my second try though, since in my first game I shot, the monsters were close to the heroes and I already killed like 5 of them even before they could move. So I started another game to give a better example of a standard game.
As you can see, I am only attacked twice and was easy to deal with. My rogue was even on the way to get all treasures, just in case the others would die.

I haven't tried your suggestion to take all of the 8 actions. But what I think is that I would just move the heroes that can't do anything useful, for and backward. Unless I don't play the rules in the right way, I think the monsters need a stronger punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Patrick,

Great idea with the video! That really helped me understand what's going on.

So I noticed a BIG rule not being played properly.

Monsters attack and do damage from a square ADJACENT to a Hero in addition to doing damage ON a Hero's square. They do not have to enter the square to do damage though as they can hit from the adjacent square. Also, the damage is dealt immediately upon them entering the adjacent square as a free action. All the base game monsters are limited to doing damage orthogonally. Only the Dragon from the expansion can attack both orthogonally and diagonally.

You would have lost that game with that rule in place

Thanks again for following up with that video!

Try it now, knowing how the monsters attack and let me know what you think.

Best regards,

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Haha, how stupid of me, sorry. I read the rules a dozen times and I played it the right way in multiplayer, but forgot it in the solo game! Though, I completely missed this: "Also, the damage is dealt immediately upon them entering the adjacent square as a free action." So thanks for mentioning that again.
That will make HUGE difference and a much more enjoyable game I think.

I will get the video offline soon and try to make another with the proper rules.

Thanks a lot!
Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls