Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Smith
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of any existing games or working on any games that are played on a standard paper city map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KillMeForPrizes wrote:
Anyone know of any existing games or working on any games that are played on a standard paper city map?

Scotland Yard

edit.. this leads to
N.Y. Chase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gehazi mann
msg tools
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, sort of. You don't play "on" it since there are no playing pieces, but you use it to identify where to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There's always Mapple, which has different city maps to play upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Zombicide played on a city map?

Also, Marvel Heroes is on a city map.

Oh, and Tammany Hall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if those games were what was meant by "an actual city map" and "standard paper city map". I thought OP meant a real commercial paper city map (like you buy in a store for traveling). It would be interesting to know if there are any games which use such maps.

I have seen transparent hex grid sheets to be overlaid over standard/real paper maps for do-it-yourself wargame scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm wondering if those games were what was meant by "an actual city map" and "standard paper city map". I thought OP meant a real commercial paper city map (like you buy in a store for traveling). It would be interesting to know if there are any games which use such maps.

I have seen transparent hex grid sheets to be overlaid over standard/real paper maps for do-it-yourself wargame scenarios.

Yeah this is what I am referring too thanks. A game where you can play it on say, a map of your own city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Wow that brings back memories...I used them to play the Aftermath! RPG with friends. I remember only having to mark the map by zones (residential, commercial...etc) to aid in imagining surroundings and to ultimately calculate variables for things like foraging. It would be cool make a game of sorts that may use any city map. The bonus is using a city one is familiar with, making it personalized and more fun to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Im pretty sure there is at least one game, a wargame I believe, that allowed you to play on a actual standard city map.

Midnight Raven would have had it seen print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geocaching?

Or this thing my wife recently got for me as a present:

https://www.strayboots.com/

Which goes one step further and makes the city the game board, as opposed to just a paper map of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Geocaching?

Ingress. As long as you subscribe to the theory that the territory is the map. And as long as you expand the definition of "game" to include MMOs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Geocaching?

Or this thing my wife recently got for me as a present:

https://www.strayboots.com/

Which goes one step further and makes the city the game board, as opposed to just a paper map of it.

This sounds interesting, but the city list involved only lists large cities, none of them are even in my state...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesnt quite count. But the two treasure hunt games from The Fantasy Trips series use a real map of an area for the clues. Its just that it is all stylized and concealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.