Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Graphic DesignerMicrobadge: Dachshund loverMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Organic LivingMicrobadge: WWF Supporter
I always wanted a nice point to point movement game. Maharaja, Hermagor, Hansa Teutonica or Himalaya didn't work for me, so I bought Il Vecchio. I was worried because it is oftend described as a lightweight game.

So we finally played it. Sure the core mechanic is simple, but is a very competitive game, where you can plan ahead your movements, and build your engine in many different ways. The final scoring reminds me of good old Knizias.

Turns are quick and that may lead to think is a lightweight game. What the heck? Thurn and Taxis is a lightweight game. This is a easy to learn, fast paced game with deep, as Ra, Pergamon, Samurai or Chicago Express. My kind of game.

Beautifully produced, well crafted and finely tuned, I'm glad I put my eye on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
It sounds like you're saying lightweight = bad. I like this game a lot, but still consider it lightweight, just like Ra, Pergamon, and Samurai. Chicago Express does not feel lightweight, due to the fully open information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: God's Playground fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Archipelago fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fan
Most people here use "weight" to describe a game's rule complexity and learning curve. Do you really think that Il Vecchio is more complicated and harder to learn than Thurn & Taxis? They seem quite similar to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: I respond to all trade offersMicrobadge: 18xx fan
Way too light for me... Played it for the first time last night and had to add it to the trade/sale pile. It is just too simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
shadow9d9 wrote:
Way too light for me... Played it for the first time last night and had to add it to the trade/sale pile. It is just too simple.
No simpler than China, Coup, Mykerinos, and others you rate 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Winsome Games fanMicrobadge: I respond to all trade offersMicrobadge: 18xx fan
curtc wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
No simpler than China, Coup, Mykerinos, and others you rate 8.
Coup is considered a party game to me. China is indeed simple, but works very well as a 3 player. Il V may work well as a 3 player, but I would imagine there would be a decent amount of chaos from the middlemen. Mykerinos was simple, but again, worked well with 3-4(I wouldn't play it with 2).

I guess it comes down to the fact that I wanted Il V as a 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
shadow9d9 wrote:
China is indeed simple, but works very well as a 3 player. Il V may work well as a 3 player, but I would imagine there would be a decent amount of chaos from the middlemen.
IV It does work quite well as 3p.

shadow9d9 wrote:
I guess it comes down to the fact that I wanted Il V as a 2 player.
I haven't tried IV as 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: God's Playground fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: Archipelago fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fan
curtc wrote:
IV It does work quite well as 3p.
I haven't tried IV as 2p.
3p is probably my favorite; 4 is also good. I'm not a fan of 2p, though I tend to be picky about my 2p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: The Artemis Project fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I love rainy daysMicrobadge: Less is more
We quite enjoy it as a 2 player game. Of course it's always just the two of us, very rarely do we play more than two player of any game so I can't compare it otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
It is a cute game but I was simply agreeing that it is definitely light. I would have enjoyed it more a few years ago. I think I need to play China again to reevaluate it(played it 6 years ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls