1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Trying to like Netrunner :/ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Puzzle Witch
Wales
flag msg tools
Ok, so I've bought a game, and at the moment I'm not really enjoying it that much.

In fact, the gaming experience feels like being constipated on the toilet for about and hour or more.

So far, we've only played with the limited starter decks that's recommended in the rule book, so perhaps I'm being really harsh. When I play, it seems like it takes ages to gain anything. I'm focusing on playing the runner, but it takes quite a long time to get enough cards installed because you need money & good cards to come into your hand to do that. It basically takes too long, (way too long in my opinion), to get enough good cards installed to feel safe enough to do a run.

I'm really trying to like this game, since I paid for it and the theme and artwork are good.

Anyone have any comments/advice/pieces of experience they want to tell me that might change my mind a bit? I've come into the boardgaming community only in the last 2 months, so am only now realising that I might like playing games that are a little faster. Who knows. Maybe it's just personal taste?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel much the same way. Have played a couple times, and watched a number of games played. It's #5 on the geek for a reason but I can't figure out why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Smith
United States
Andover
Kansas
flag msg tools
GET OVER HERE!
badge
Who the @#&% was that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the starter decks, but. Try playing as corp once and you will see how fragile it feels to be them too. They feel like they are impenetrable as a runner but they have so many spots to cover and not enough ways to do so. As a runner, if you are holding out to get established before running IMO you are doing it wrong, run early before they have a solid defense. You need to poke and prod anyplace that isn't secure, make them paranoid about holding agendas in hand, run their deck, harass harass harass. I'm no expert player by any stretch but give that a whirl and see how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PuzzleWitch wrote:
It basically takes too long, (way too long in my opinion), to get enough good cards installed to feel safe enough to do a run.

If you wait until you feel safe enough to run, you've given the Corp way too much time to set their defenses.

This is a game of bluffing and reading your opponent, but above all else, it's a game of calculated risk-taking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with the starter decks. I think those decks themselves might be part of the problem; after trying out deckbuilding with the friend who taught me to play, I found myself still feeling like the game was too slow, but it was certainly way more fun-- piloting a deck you've built yourself is interesting because you know what it's supposed to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't give you advice on the game itself, since I only recently started playing it (and loving it).

PuzzleWitch wrote:
Maybe it's just personal taste?

I think that's it (in a nutshell).
You should never try to like a game. Play the game a couple of times. If it doesn't click, sell it or trade it away. Don't worry too much about it, you'll find other games you like.

I feel similarly about other games in the Top10. I like them, I'll play them, but there are often games I'd rather play. I guess, what I'm saying is that the Top10 is only an indication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with the others here. Don't wait until you have all the cards you'd like to have. You just can't. Once you've waited that long you really won't be able to get through. I could advise to get some of the expansion packs which allow you speed up your game but since you're not sure if you like the base game I think this wouldn't be a good option. So here's my advice:

1. If you don't like your starting hand then USE the option of drawing a new hand. This is really important to get your game started.

2. You have to start running on the corp's servers right away. Run on HQ and R&D. If they set up a server with some ice then use infiltration (if you happen to have it). If you don't: Make a run. You have to make the corp player spread their ice and make them spend the credits for activating it. You have to put the corp player under pressure.

3. Try the criminal runner deck. It's very easy to get money with it and it's special order event card lets you search your stack for a much needed ice breaker. This combination might help you to get into the game faster.

4. Do some deckbuilding. The options are limited with the base set but try to figure out which style of a runner fits best to you and try to adjust one of the decks accordingly. This also helps a lot. I had to build several decks until I finally managed to build two decks I really enjoy playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to say you should or shouldn't like the game, it may just not be to your taste. That being said, I've never found it very slow. I can usually get a game in well under 30 minutes with lots of action during that 30 minutes.

I think the key is to run, baby, run! Don't be worried about runs failing, there's very little ICE that you can't recover from. Be wary of running on your final action, as you may need those extra actions to recoup lost cards or lose tags. And if your run fails, you often will know more about what you're up against.

Also, I've found that you shouldn't be afraid to spend actions drawing cards, both for the runner and the corp. If your hand isn't doing anything for you, get another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puzzle Witch
Wales
flag msg tools
I have been using a lot of drawing cards, but this evening, luck was not at the table (at least not for me!). I'm a bit of a hoarder, and a 'safe' player, so maybe this is where my mistake lies.

At the moment, me and my boyfriend both prefer playing Libertalia to Netrunner :/ Faster with interesting card decisions. I actually find that there's less luck in Libertalia than there is in Netrunner. Obviously it's annoying when someone else plays the same card as you, but other than that, I prefer it to drawing more cards, hoping for better ones whilst wasting actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Smith
United States
Andover
Kansas
flag msg tools
GET OVER HERE!
badge
Who the @#&% was that?
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely try some deck building before writing it off. But if you like to hoard and play it safe, why don't you give playing Corp a try? Seems more up your alley as they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
PuzzleWitch wrote:
At the moment, me and my boyfriend both prefer playing Libertalia to Netrunner :/

Maybe the solution is just personal preference. Netrunner is popular (I've become a fan), but it's just a game like any other. If it doesn't suit your tastes, then there's no reason to force yourself to like it.

That said, I've found that the game bogs down in only one instance - when everyone is scared. Sometimes the runner is too scared to run on remotes or see what the ice is. So the runner sits back and builds an ever bigger rig. That will not get the runner any agenda points.

Similarly, sometimes the corp is so scared to put down an agenda where it might get stolen, that the corp keeps them in hand - possibly behind a relatively "safe" HQ server. If the corp doesn't play the agendas, then they can't get scored.

If both players are exceedingly risk-averse, this can be a problem. This tends to occur most often with newer players. It might be worth it to play with someone more experienced so you can see how aggressive the game can be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Runner you have to rage on their servers. Realize what kind of ice they might be packing and make them put their money where their mouth is. If you're playing against Jinteki then get some cards in your hand, make sure they have $7 or less, then plow on into R&D/HQ. You may take some damage, but you'll make them waste money in the process, and you might score some points! Remember: they have to pay for every ice they rez, and they don't have infinite money, so force them to pick which ones, and when they are out of money, pound them in the places that they haven't protected yet. Wait for them to rez their ice, then get the necessary icebreakers to bust in (although it's always good to have a Killer).

If you let them take their time to set up, then you'll be playing their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a stupid question but have you tried to switch sides?
The shaper deck already is the 'least' aggressive deck of the runner decks of the base game. Both criminals and anarchs require an even more aggressive play.

I think a Weyland deck would suit your style of playing much better. Their identity from the base game sucks but they rely on ice which can be advanced to slowly build up your defense. So even their cheapest ice can be become a serious problem for the runner. Their agendas might look a bit strange but they are actually pretty good, especially Hostile Takeover! It can be played and scored entirely in one round and the downside of the bad publicity is not that bad when you think of the credits you get as means for improving your ice.

But of course Netrunner has the same issues as all deck-based card games have: Your deck can be perfectly balanced and you can be the best player on the world and you might still lose a game just by bad luck with the card draws. The problem is not as big as in some other games but it's still there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is a great game. It just didn't entice me enough and I sold off my collection. I know my copy is out there being enjoyed by someone right now and that's good enough for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puzzle Witch
Wales
flag msg tools
Kai, no we haven't switches sides yet, and I won't give up on this game until I've played several times as a Corp as well. I think it's only then I can make a fair assessment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like you shouldn't be playing Kate, since she's a slower runner. Try a fast runner like Criminal, which barely need any setup before he starts running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PuzzleWitch wrote:
In fact, the gaming experience feels like being constipated on the toilet for about and hour or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PuzzleWitch wrote:
Ok, so I've bought a game, and at the moment I'm not really enjoying it that much.

So far, we've only played with the limited starter decks that's recommended in the rule book, so perhaps I'm being really harsh. When I play, it seems like it takes ages to gain anything. I'm focusing on playing the runner, but it takes quite a long time to get enough cards installed because you need money & good cards to come into your hand to do that. It basically takes too long, (way too long in my opinion), to get enough good cards installed to feel safe enough to do a run.

I'm really trying to like this game, since I paid for it and the theme and artwork are good.

Anyone have any comments/advice/pieces of experience they want to tell me that might change my mind a bit? I've come into the boardgaming community only in the last 2 months, so am only now realising that I might like playing games that are a little faster. Who knows. Maybe it's just personal taste?

I'm a fan of the game but let me say this:

If you have to try to like a game, you shouldn't keep playing it. Games should be entertaining to you. There is such a plethora of games out there that if you don't like something you can move on and try something else. I hate the game Mage Knight. I don't know why, I just don't like it. I understand the concepts and what not I just don't enjoy it. Does that make it a bad game? No. Does that make it a bad game for me? Yes. Netrunner may be a bad game for you, but that doesn't detract from other's enjoyment of the game. It sounds to me like it's time you wrote this one off and tried something else. If you want to recoup your expenses I would suggest finding a trade for this or finding a friend who might enjoy it and letting them have it. You can also always put it aside and revisit later. Being new to the hobby you might want to try other things and revisit the game later. Some games didn't click with me till I played them after I tried a few other things in the hobby. Through the ages was one of those like that for me. I didn't care for it the first time I played it, but after getting some other civ games under my belt and revisiting this title I realize I really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alxamp21 wrote:
If you have to try to like a game, you shouldn't keep playing it.

Trying to like it by force of will is a bad idea, but posting to BGG to ask "what am I missing?" is worthwhile effort, isn't it? If all the fans say "I dunno what you're missing; I liked it right away", that tells you maybe it won't grow on you; but if everyone says "it's fun if you play more aggressively" (which is what I'm learning from this thread), then great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Feel much the same way. Have played a couple times, and watched a number of games played. It's #5 on the geek for a reason but I can't figure out why.

Battlelore and Caylus were each #2 at one point. It will settle down just like the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Asymetrical play, deck creation, rich theme. I'm enjoying buying it. Might play it a fourth time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
casualgod wrote:

Battlelore and Caylus were each #2 at one point. It will settle down just like the others.

When was BattleLore that high?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

Not every game is for every gamer. Mage Knight Board Game is #8 and I can't figure out why it's in the top 500. I especially can't figure out how it's #2 in thematic given the incredibly weak story it tells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've seen people nail a strategy of drawing cards until they got their setup ready and then going with it.

I've seen people run non-stop too.

Either way can work, but if you think the game is too slow... well, you're the runner, you control the tempo. If you're not the runner, then you're glad it's slow, because of all the time you get.

Again, switch sides. It will give you insight into how the other guy is feeling. You don't understand how NAKED you feel as a corp at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You need to try all the decks before you assess the game as constipation.
Also you can run without the breakers and just take the damage from the subroutines. As long as you steal an agenda its worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.