Dan Feral
United States
New York
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmb
I had the opportunity to play Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert back to back this week. It was pretty apparent that Forbidden Island was more fun for the group I was with.

There is something that isn't very satisfying about removing a pile of sand tokens on your turn. In Forbidden Island, it is satisfying to save a sunken island area because you are literally one step away from losing it.

Yes, Desert is a much meatier game. But adding all of that meat to such a simple gateway game turns it into something that is more of a chore for me.

How have you liked this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to hear more opinions about this. For us, FI was a fluffy trifle, hardly worth the time to play as it was so light and inconsequential and repetitive, and we want more meat. But we want to the small footprint and high production value that it has. So hopefully FD fits that bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feral
United States
New York
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmb
In my mind, FI works really well with non-gamers and younger players. FD takes what is a simple concept from FI and then adds complexity to every part of it. But the mechanics themselves don't really add up to anything that feels meatier. It just feels more like a chore.

But that's just my thoughts. I'm sure others are loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lanfearl wrote:
In my mind, FI works really well with non-gamers and younger players. FD takes what is a simple concept from FI and then adds complexity to every part of it. But the mechanics themselves don't really add up to anything that feels meatier. It just feels more like a chore.

But that's just my thoughts. I'm sure others are loving it.
Like the multitudinous expansions to essentially simple base games (Catan, Carcassonne)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the biggest appeal of FD over FI is that it replaces the non-thematic/abstract card set collection with thematic moving around to get clues. I look forward to trying FD to see if that pans out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feral
United States
New York
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmb
peakhope wrote:
For me, the biggest appeal of FD over FI is that it replaces the non-thematic/abstract card set collection with thematic moving around to get clues. I look forward to trying FD to see if that pans out.

I can see this as valid. However, the way the game works, the pieces aren't actually hidden anywhere. The clues you uncover determine where the pieces are. So it felt a little less like looking for treasure and more like looking for clues so we could find the treasure.

In essence, you can never stumble across the treasure and have that AHA moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
Microbadge: Emoticon fanMicrobadge: Winner's Circle fanMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
lanfearl wrote:
[q="peakhope"]The clues you uncover determine where the pieces are. So it felt a little less like looking for treasure and more like looking for clues so we could find the treasure.

I may be missing your point here, Kellen; but isn't that pretty much exactly what you do in Forbidden Island? You're not stumbling onto treasure, but gathering "clues" to go to the exact spots (two per treasure) where you know (at the start of the game) the treasure will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Feral
United States
New York
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmb
amacleod wrote:
lanfearl wrote:
[q="peakhope"]The clues you uncover determine where the pieces are. So it felt a little less like looking for treasure and more like looking for clues so we could find the treasure.

I may be missing your point here, Kellen; but isn't that pretty much exactly what you do in Forbidden Island? You're not stumbling onto treasure, but gathering "clues" to go to the exact spots (two per treasure) where you know (at the start of the game) the treasure will be.
Yeah. I wasn't making the argument that FI was any more thematic than FD. Just that FD didn't feel very thematic to me either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the few plays I've had so far, I like both games a great deal but prefer FD to FI. Probably the main drag for me in FI is the cards which can really clog things up and just get infuriating, particularly when you have already claimed the treasure they represent. Compare with Pandemic where the city cards have multiple uses. I feel that FD seems to just flow slightly better than its predecessor.

That said, I expect we'll still get FI out for a play once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Horabin
United Kingdom
Hounslow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
It's me!
Microbadge: Square Meal fanMicrobadge: Yinzi fanMicrobadge: Cooper Island fanMicrobadge: BiomatterMicrobadge: LeiriaCon attendee

Only one play for me of FD but I have to say it felt so much more of a challenge working out the best actions to take each time. The individual water needs really add to this, there's simply more at stake.
The sand really works for me; what else is there in the desert but the hopes of water and sand storms, you have to shift the stuff to find out what's beneath it, and that could well be nothing; excellent!

I'm sure I'll play both in the future but will certainly be looking forward to FD more.

Have to add that it's also excellent value for money... nicely made and packaged, top marks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely agree with Neil on this one – FD is thematically right on the money - a shifting sand storm, excavating for clues, digging for water that is needed to stay alive etc.

There also seems to be more choices somehow, with definitely no obvious best course of action in many instances. Do you focus on keeping the sand at bay whilst slowly excavating for clues? Do you spread out and find the clues quickly, but risk dying of thirst? Do you stick together and grab plenty of water, but risk the sand building up on the other side of the desert? Do you use your equipment early in the game when it is often less efficient, or wait until the end, by which time it might be too late?

The games that I’ve played have been characterised by lots of table-talk, because there have simply been multiple opinions on the best thing to do in any given situation. And in my book, that makes for a great co-op experience.

Don’t get me wrong, I also love FI (and so do my kids), but FD has really taken it up a notch, and I’m looking forward to many more future plays... cool

(Hopefully I'll be putting up a full review in the next couple of days too...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.”
badge
“Failure isn't bad if it doesn't attack the heart. Success is all right if it doesn't go to the head.”
Microbadge: I like a small collection of gamesMicrobadge: Friends you make over a board game table can last a lifetimeMicrobadge: Board games keep me youngMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: I have more previously owned games than owned games
Emsdad wrote:
(Hopefully I'll be putting up a full review in the next couple of days too...)
Looks like you did...

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
Tom said this has replaced Forbidden Island for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Village fanMicrobadge: The Manhattan Project fanMicrobadge: The Palaces of Carrara fanMicrobadge: DiscordianMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids fan
lanfearl wrote:
How have you liked this game?
This game (for me so far) is not as much fun as Pandemic. I feel like the game is beating me up, and there is not much I can do about it. Maybe with a few more play-throughs i'll develop some strategies, but the tin is sitting on the other side of the room and I hardly feel like opening it.

The exploring for hidden treasure theme should be fun fun fun, but i'm not feeling the love for this game right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FD is not pandemic, those are different games. In fact, pandemic cannot really be compared to a lot of games, with its limited luck factor and its incredible elegance and fluidity. I would compare FD to a light "flash point, fire rescue".

FD is more luck based, but offers real choices to make, and is far from impossible once you figured some strategies.

What's make its appeal is its really short set up and playing time. Plus the box, which is incredibly nicely packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls