Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the death of George Cockburn? It seems like an extremely powerful thing for the British to have! Perhaps too powerful?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there were a few notable successes. And without the "fear factor" would the Americans bother covering the coast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have found the CR to be rather hit or miss- sometimes it is greatly successful, sometimes a complete dud.

Even killing Cockburn does not stop the raiding- his subordinate takes over (S. Pechell, on the back of the counter, although he's much less effective). We have found that the British lose interest in the Coastal Raids if they lose once or twice (which wastes a card play) or start losing some valuable Regulars. The Americans can also keep the British busy on the Canadian frontier, distracting the British from Coastal Raids. The Joshua Barney card can waste a British card play. But the Samuel Smith card can sometimes throw the Coastal Raid expedition back into the sea, never to be heard from again! A lucky American die roll can do the same thing (rolling a 9- even with minimal troops and no leader- can wipe out all the troops in the CR).

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
We have found the CR to be rather hit or miss- sometimes it is greatly successful, sometimes a complete dud.

Even killing Cockburn does not stop the raiding- his subordinate takes over (S. Pechell, on the back of the counter, although he's much less effective). We have found that the British lose interest in the Coastal Raids if they lose once or twice (which wastes a card play) or start losing some valuable Regulars. The Americans can also keep the British busy on the Canadian frontier, distracting the British from Coastal Raids. The Joshua Barney card can waste a British card play. But the Samuel Smith card can sometimes throw the Coastal Raid expedition back into the sea, never to be heard from again! A lucky American die roll can do the same thing (rolling a 9- even with minimal troops and no leader- can wipe out all the troops in the CR).

Kevin

Ah! So the CR can be eliminated then, if all its troops are wiped out? I had been under the impression from some other thread that troops could be added to the CR. So I was wrong on that point?

Thanks yet again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can wipe out the troops in the CR, but the Americans won't get a Peace Track move for it, and the British can always move more troops into the CR (as explained in the other thread). But the loss of 3 regulars really hurts the British, and they often don't get around to re-manning the CR, and it sits idle for the rest of the game.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
Yes, you can wipe out the troops in the CR, but the Americans won't get a Peace Track move for it, and the British can always move more troops into the CR. But the loss of 3 regulars really hurts the British, and they often don't get around to re-manning the CR, and it sits idle for the rest of the game.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin: that clarifies everything for me. I suppose my words may have been misleading, but I wasn't really thinking that the CR was horribly unbalanced: I was just wondering (from a purely mechanical perspective) if it could be eliminated...and, although I didn't ask it in the OP, whether regulars could be added to it.

Hmmmm: regulars. I assume militia, fencibles, and Indians can't be added to the CR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hmmmm: regulars.

Well, that's what the CR starts with. Also, the easiest way to replenish the CR is with regulars: using a British Reinforcements card (which allows you to place the units "at sea"- directly into the CR, if you wish) or when Napoleon is defeated (again, placing some of the new regulars directly into the CR).

Quote:
I assume militia, fencibles, and Indians can't be added to the CR?

Militia and fencibles, certainly yes. It is sometimes difficult to achieve this, taking an activation just to get the units from Canada to the CR (see 6.7 Sea Movement, first paragraph). Also, you would then have to roll for Militia Refusal for each coastal raid- you will be crossing an international boundary each time you raid (see 6.4 Militia & Fencibles, last paragraph).

Indians at sea is a whole other matter. We had a discussion about this very topic some time ago, and reached two conclusions: there is no restriction in the rules that stops you from placing Indians in the CR or IF expeditions. But there should be. Historically, they really don't belong there.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmm: regulars.

Well, that's what the CR starts with. Also, the easiest way to replenish the CR is with regulars: using a British Reinforcements card (which allows you to place the units "at sea"- directly into the CR, if you wish) or when Napoleon is defeated (again, placing some of the new regulars directly into the CR).

Quote:
I assume militia, fencibles, and Indians can't be added to the CR?

Militia and fencibles, certainly yes. It is sometimes difficult to achieve this, taking an activation just to get the units from Canada to the CR (see 6.7 Sea Movement, first paragraph). Also, you would then have to roll for Militia Refusal for each coastal raid- you will be crossing an international boundary each time you raid (see 6.4 Militia & Fencibles, last paragraph).

Once again, Kevin, many thanks for the clarifications! My comment ("Hmmm: regulars") was me thinking about whether anything other than regulars could join the CR. Until your post just now, my assumption had been that it was regulars only!

KMcPartland wrote:
Indians at sea is a whole other matter. We had a discussion about this very topic some time ago, and reached two conclusions: there is no restriction in the rules that stops you from placing Indians in the CR or IF expeditions. But there should be. Historically, they really don't belong there.

Kevin

Indeed. I remember in the old Avalon Hill game, 1776, that Indians were about the only unit type that couldn't be transferred by sea.

So can I say, "No Indians at sea", is an "official house-rule"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My comment ("Hmmm: regulars") was me thinking...

I know. I repurposed it for my own needs.

Quote:
...an "official house-rule"?

Yes, an official house rule! Just one half-step short of an errata. But seriously, it's not worthy of an errata item for two reasons: 1) it nearly never comes up during actual game play, and 2) it's a self-fixing problem: all Indians go away every winter.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.