Subject: Impulses and the Sunset DR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me." Blaise Pascal
badge
"There is yet faith, but the faith and the hope and the love are all in the waiting." T.S. Elliot
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone kindly explain how the number of impulses are established by the Sunset DR, and how there number might be shortened or increased, depending on the DR.

If I am reading the rules correctly, only one area may be activated (unless you are using the Advantage) per impulse. This seems to make for a slow go if the total number of impulses are low.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, the day starts in Impulse 0.

Germans always go first, then it's the Allies go.

The first DR made by the Allies during their go is the Sunset DR.

If the Sunset DR < the current impulse number, then the day ends after the Allies have finished their go. If not, then the day continues (and you might get a weather change).

So the Sunset DR does not strictly determine how many impulses there are, but it does serve to determine when the day ends.

Then there is a modifier to the Sunset DR, called the Sunset DRM. By modifying the Sunset DR, the Sunset DRM can serve to make the day, on average, a bit shorter (negative drm) or a bit longer (positive drm).

Does that help?

(Just realised I am basing this on AH rules, not L2)

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:

If I am reading the rules correctly, only one area may be activated (unless you are using the Advantage) per impulse. This seems to make for a slow go if the total number of impulses are low.

goo

That is the whole point of the game, you have no idea how many impulses you will get which is why you need to prioritize and make those impulses count.
You can declare a double impulse with the advantage and air (and possibly naval) bombardment do not move the marker forward to effectively gain or give you 'free' impulses but the overall design intent is to make the allies go for that breakout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Could someone kindly explain how the number of impulses are established by the Sunset DR, and how there number might be shortened or increased, depending on the DR.
If you are referring to just the impulse track functionality then someone already went over that, but ...
If you are referring to the sunset drm marker (11.2 in the AH rulebook)then:

The sunset DRm marker has nothing to do with the impulse start number. The impulse start number each day starts at 0 and adjusting based on 'purchasing' impulses with reserves (12.53 in the AH rulebook). I'll leave you to read when the sunset drm takes affect (11.2), but once established in a turn (does not always occur and is effective for just that day) it modifies the first allied DR of the impulse to determine if the day ends (weather changes still occur on the un-modified DR) by the DR +/- drm marker less than the impulse number on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:
That is the whole point of the game, you have no idea how many impulses you will get which is why you need to prioritize and make those impulses count.
I’m very much in the nascent stages as a BKN player, but I completely agree. The tension and pressure created is tremendous.

I learned on the L2 rules, and here’s how I’d describe it if I was teaching:

The first Allied DR roll each impulse could possibly end the day or change the weather (when you’re above Impulse 1). So obviously the closer you get to Impulse 7 and beyond, the more likely something is going to happen. For example, if it’s Impulse 8 and the first Allied DR in that impulse is a 7 or below, the day ends when that impulse is complete. If you tie the impulse number, the weather changes. If the Allies don’t make a DR in an impulse, then they make a specific Sunset DR to the same effect. Point being, you never know exactly how many impulses you’ll have.

Regarding day-length, also be sure to pay attention to how supply, eliminated units, and naval/air bombardments affect it. (Again, in the L2 rules, anyway. I can’t speak to the specific L2/AH differences with any granularity.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me." Blaise Pascal
badge
"There is yet faith, but the faith and the hope and the love are all in the waiting." T.S. Elliot
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is not a criticism of the design, just a statement for clarification, which you kindly provided.

I need to post a complete first turn and ask for feedback from the community as to whether or not I have a correct understanding.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls