Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb

I just bought TOI, and I can't wait to get it and play it. I've read some great things about it and the look of it is great, etc. Looks like it's right up my alley as far as components, etc. I can't wait for this game!

However, I've also heard of some problems with the game components. (I don't have my copy yet so don't know what they are other than what I've read.) I understand there are some kind of problems with the squad bases, pegs, and holes?

What are the problems?
And more importantly, how have you guys solved them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
the new base set should have an introductory scenario fold out that has chain of command and breaking the line they should be decent intro scenarios.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
JonJacob wrote:
No problems with the pegs and holes that can't be solved by playing the game. I know some people want to make the holes larger... that will happen in time. Some people leave most of the soldiers in their base after the game and that shortens the time it takes to set up. That's not bad.
Yeah, I read of people making them magnetic, and cutting off the pegs, etc. Not sure I want to destroy the pieces. (I've already ruined enough of my wargames, to ruin another one!)

Quote:

A lot of people do miss the rule where you get three actions each (or whichever number the scenario's give you, usually three) per side. Until the turn is over. I forget the exact terminology but occasionally people make the mistake of only taking three actions and then going immediately to the next round. This makes the scenario's impossible.

I am glad the rulebook's online. My friend (who I will be playing it with the majority of the time) and I are already reading through them in anticipation. I DID see the three actions and thought one thing, but then read you keep going until you have no more units to move. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

Other than that there isn't much but I would look for smaller scenario's to start, the ones in the base set are not the best scenario's the game has. The Designer book is great for that but there are some on line ones even better suited for learning games. I think Tiger Hunt was one of them. Not sure now since I have nothing with me at the moment.

I'm glad to see there is such a community of gamers still making scenarios for this. I've seen the ones on here and on the FFG website. I plan on pretty much DLing them all and printing them out - making my own little book of them, with the guides to the scenarios. I'm checking out the point-buy system I saw posted as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
skinsfan wrote:
the new base set should have an introductory scenario fold out that has chain of command and breaking the line they should be decent intro scenarios.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games
Well, I'm not sure which version I bought, if it was a newer one, or an older copy. But I've seen enough scenarios online to be able to pull something for it as an introduction.

I look forward to seeing what 1A Games brings to it! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
we have all kinds of idea's if you check in the Stalingrad folder you can see the rules for that expansion

Bill Jaffe
1A Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:

I just bought TOI, and I can't wait to get it and play it. I've read some great things about it and the look of it is great, etc. Looks like it's right up my alley as far as components, etc. I can't wait for this game!

However, I've also heard of some problems with the game components. (I don't have my copy yet so don't know what they are other than what I've read.) I understand there are some kind of problems with the squad bases, pegs, and holes?

What are the problems?
And more importantly, how have you guys solved them?

I have the edition w/intro book.
And this edition has just a few giving trouble.
Actually some leader figs are my problem figs,, too loose.

Figs fit pretty good in the squad bases in general.
Those few that are tight I pinch in with tweezers.
I fit figure base and squad base in tweezers and clamp.

So I'd say have tweezers handy B4 ya change the holes permanently
with drill bit.

A lot of guys have said the pegs wear in with use_
SO play a lot of games !

H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just got my unpunched copy in the mail today.
HOLY COW THAT'S A BIG BOX! surprise

In looking at the pieces now, I could see how they might be a problem. Some seem a little tighter than others, though do seem that they would go in easier with more use.

Looks great! Can't wait to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I'm beginning to see how some people had problems with the pegs into the holes. SOME fit, and others - due to simple manufacturing problems - may have little extra pieces of plastic that weren't quite punched off.

Nothing a little scrape with a razor doesn't solve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better with wear, I have yet to snap a peg off yet.:blush:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never had any problems with the pegs. Admittedly at the beginning the pegs were a tight fit, but there is nothing like a podger between a soldiers legs to help with this problem. After several games the pegs fit perfectly and still do now, some 6 years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls