Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Having just upgraded from 3rd to 4th edition, the biggest change is Seafarers and the new scenarios. Couple of questions came up, not a big deal but bugging me just the same:

1) Scenario 8 has the Wonders. Why weren't these made into actual cardboard tokens (or have they been and I just missed it)? it also would have been nice had they mentioned the purpose of the brown and purple hexes. I didn't read all the Wonders and so didn't know why we had 3 icons to mark non-building sites for setup.

2) Scenario 8 lists additional components at 10 Catan Chits. 4 of these are used to track Wonders. 6 apparently are used for settling the islands. But with 2 islands and 4 players, 8 would be needed. Is this a typo or are the last two VPs not awarded?

3) Scenario 9 lists additional components at 16 Catan Chits. the only reference to these is your first Foreign settlement. But it says each player is limited to only 1 VP in this way. If a max of 4 can be obtained, what are the other 12 for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I cannot they anything to the type of material, since I don't have the Mayfair edition. But the KOSMOS edition requires to cut the wonder cards from the rule book and from the download of the English rule book it seems the same. The function of the brown and purple squares can be found on the wonder cards and in the additional rules for the setup-phase.

2) In most cases the game will be ended before all players have settled on all small islands. If this would not be the case, I think also the last should get special victory points. Just take a dime as a symbol for this point.

3) This is a wrong translation. Meant is, that each player will get only 1 specical victory point for his first settlement on a foreign island. But when he builds a settlement on a second foreign island, he will again get a specical victory point.

The rule should be: "For each of your first settlements on each foreign island, you receive 1 Special Victory Point."

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1. We have the rulebook cut outs. I was just curious why they didn't include actual cardboard pieces.

2. We have more then enough Catan chits that dimes aren't necessary. And whether all players score all tokens or not isn't the issue. All the other scenarios list the maximum possible. So this is either a typo (the most likely explanation) or they meant to limit it.

3. That makes much more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've discussed this with one of the KOSMOS editors. Additional cardboard pieces would have enhanced the price for the expansion. And since 99 percent of more than 300.000 customers didn't complain, this seems to be the right decision for at least these customers.
The 10 Catan chits for the Wonder scenario are neither a printing error nor a limit, but as I already wrote, in most of the games more than 10 are not needed, but I will be considered when a next edition will come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
RedPiranha wrote:
I've discussed this with one of the KOSMOS editors. Additional cardboard pieces would have enhanced the price for the expansion. And since 99 percent of more than 300.000 customers didn't complain, this seems to be the right decision for at least these customers.

lol. That's funny. I actually have never played the Wonders scenario for the very reason that I didn't want to cut out the tiles from the book and without the tiles, the scenario would be too much of a pain to play. I believe the Dutch version of Wonders, included as a stand-alone expansion, had cut-out cardboard tiles. Or was it the German Atlantis expansion? In any case, at least one version of Wonders released had the physical tiles, it just wasn't ever printed in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Whaleyland wrote:

I believe the Dutch version of Wonders, included as a stand-alone expansion, had cut-out cardboard tiles. Or was it the German Atlantis expansion? In any case, at least one version of Wonders released had the physical tiles, it just wasn't ever printed in English.

The Dutch (999 Games) printed 6 single scenarios that were taken from the German only releases in publications like the Catan News or the Catan-book ("Das Buch zum Spielen").
None of these were ever printed anywhere else as boxed games. So yes, the Dutch Wonders scenario is (was) the only available with printed cardboard wonders.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedPiranha wrote:
The 10 Catan chits for the Wonder scenario are neither a printing error nor a limit, but as I already wrote, in most of the games more than 10 are not needed, but I will be considered when a next edition will come.

I expect a lot of people didn't bother to complain but many were disappointed. I certainly am. I haven't played that scenario for that reason. I will not cut-up my rule book. If they had at least been on a separate sheet of paper, then I would cut them out. Right now I'm deciding if it is worth it to make photocopies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebastian Rapp wrote:
Whaleyland wrote:

I believe the Dutch version of Wonders, included as a stand-alone expansion, had cut-out cardboard tiles. Or was it the German Atlantis expansion? In any case, at least one version of Wonders released had the physical tiles, it just wasn't ever printed in English.

The Dutch (999 Games) printed 6 single scenarios that were taken from the German only releases in publications like the Catan News or the Catan-book ("Das Buch zum Spielen").
None of these were ever printed anywhere else as boxed games. So yes, the Dutch Wonders scenario is (was) the only available with printed cardboard wonders.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

This is actually the only one of those Dutch expansions I don't have and the primary reason is the language issue – all the other expansions have fairly language-independent components. Granted, I have plenty of expansions with German on them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.