17 Posts

Fairytale Games: The Battle Royale» Forums » General

Subject: All down to a die roll? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
Is that what this is? I see a whole bunch of quality artwork and components and was sold. Till the combat system.

U pick a whole bunch of cards and then u roll a die. SAME reason I do not like munchkin. I mean, it's such an uninteresting and primitive way of resolving combat.

I also hear a mention of slightly more complex rules for combat but do not see any official word. Does anybody know wat the rules are? Really good looking game, just don't wanna to back a dud.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sam, I have been watching the campaign from the beginning. They say there will be an advanced battle system in addition to the simple dice rolling version you can see on the home page. Just watch the upcoming updates and you'll know more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi there! Thanks for your response! I saw that video and was immediately out off... And it's interesting how nearing the end of the campaign nobody asked about this before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess no one asked it because most of the backers were in early and followed the discussion in the comments section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, watched the video, saw it was just roll dice to move, do combat, etc... No Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Yep, watched the video, saw it was just roll dice to move, do combat, etc... No Thanks.

Sky, did you read what I answered to Sam? There will be two mechanics to chose from. A simpler - dice based - mechanic and an advanced battle system where you choose your actions yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
skyzero wrote:

Sky, did you read what I answered to Sam? There will be two mechanics to chose from. A simpler - dice based - mechanic and an advanced battle system where you choose your actions yourself.

That's more promising then. Game concept is fantastic, just put off by "roll dice and do what it says". Any videos with the advanced rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
snake2shake wrote:
skyzero wrote:

That's more promising then. Game concept is fantastic, just put off by "roll dice and do what it says". Any videos with the advanced rules?

No video yet, it's in the works I believe. In the meantime...check this link!

http://fairytalegames.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/gameplay-high...

It's a write-up of some of the advanced gameplay. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Simple rules (dice , leave it up to chance ) and Advanced Battle Rules are the two options you can play the game (removes the luck factor out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link. I think it made all the difference for me.
Gonna back this!

Sam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:
skyzero wrote:
snake2shake wrote:
skyzero wrote:

No video yet, it's in the works I believe. In the meantime...check this link!

http://fairytalegames.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/gameplay-high...

It's a write-up of some of the advanced gameplay. Hope this helps!

Definitely seems much more strategic. Still want to see the video of how it plays out though. Also, it looks like the solo rules for battle would be different? I'm a big solo gamer so any details on that is appreciated as well from the designer. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or are even the advanced combat rules not very satisfying? I mean, you draw 5 cards from a communal deck, and the cards can only be used during that combat (you don't save them for a future turn), so . . . how is there much decision-making to be had? Just use all of your cards, because if you don't, you'll lose them.

And it's not like you even have to decide between using a card to attack or defend, because cards can't do both--they can do only one or the other. (At least, from my understanding.)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the developers are giving an option beyond just "roll a die and see what happens," but I feel the advanced mechanic they've implemented still doesn't add any interesting choices to the game.

Am I missing something? Please tell me I'm missing something, because I love the theme and all the bonuses from the stretch goals. But as it is now, I just can't justify spending $65 on a game that looks like it will basically play itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alazzar wrote:
Is it just me, or are even the advanced combat rules not very satisfying? I mean, you draw 5 cards from a communal deck, and the cards can only be used during that combat (you don't save them for a future turn), so . . . how is there much decision-making to be had? Just use all of your cards, because if you don't, you'll lose them.

And it's not like you even have to decide between using a card to attack or defend, because cards can't do both--they can do only one or the other. (At least, from my understanding.)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the developers are giving an option beyond just "roll a die and see what happens," but I feel the advanced mechanic they've implemented still doesn't add any interesting choices to the game.

Am I missing something? Please tell me I'm missing something, because I love the theme and all the bonuses from the stretch goals. But as it is now, I just can't justify spending $65 on a game that looks like it will basically play itself.

I found this in the link I posted above:

Once my turn ends and your turn ends, we both can choose to discard your hand (or some of your hand) and draw up to 5 cards again.

Maybe this addresses your discard issues?

And attack cards allow you to attack OR draw a tactics card. Defense cards allow you to defend and counter attack if you want. Nobody knows for sure exactly how the advanced combat plays out. I like it a whole lot more than the dice driven combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:

I found this in the link I posted above:

Once my turn ends and your turn ends, we both can choose to discard your hand (or some of your hand) and draw up to 5 cards again.

True, but there's also this line (that precedes the one you quoted):

"So I can continue to play my cards until I tell you my turn is over."

So my thought is, if you get to refresh your hand after your turn anyway (like you said), and you get to keep playing cards until you decide your turn is over, why would you ever NOT play all of your attack cards? Why discard them without using them? You get to play as many attack cards as you want on your turn--I can't think of a good reason why you'd want to just discard them instead of playing them.

I may be missing something here, but it seems to me the advanced combat goes like this:

1. I attack with every attack card I have. (There's no reason to hold onto them.)
2. I defend with every defense card I have. (See above.)
3. We now both have the opportunity to draw new hands, so we do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alazzar wrote:

True, but there's also this line (that precedes the one you quoted):

"So I can continue to play my cards until I tell you my turn is over."

Not trying to argue, but now you have me inspecting things more closely. Just before the line you quoted (see what I did there! ):

Another cool thing about Defense Cards is that if you play 1 Trait Point, you can perform a Counter Attack. Meaning, you will still Defend at whatever value is equivalent to the Defense card you played, but if you have an Attack Card in your hand, you can play that after your defense to try to damage your opponent. Your opponent has a chance to Defend (and counter-attack as well). Pretty much, this will go back and forth until someone can’t counter-attack anymore or chooses not to.

So I see it more like this:

1. I attack you for 3 DMG. You defend (you have to choose which defense card to use here, it matters since I could be trying to bait out your big defense cards so I can hit you with a big attack later). Damage dealt, yadda yadda. Still my turn.
2. I attack you for 6 DMG. You defend (choose card), you counter-attack. I defend (do I use a big defense card here? I won't have it when your turn comes and you attack me. I know you used 2 defense cards and 1 attack card already, and I have a big attack card, surely you can't have ANOTHER big defense card). I counter attack. MAXIMUM DAMAGE. Still my turn.
3. I have one card left (I attacked twice, defended once, and counter-attacked once) but it's still my turn. It's an escape card. Your turn.

etc....

Now imagine something like that involving 3+ players. As I mentioned before it's kind of hard to get a clear picture with the information we have so far. I think it will be a little more involved than "playing itself".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SO do we get a basic combat and an advanced combat character card in the game for every character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plpompey wrote:
SO do we get a basic combat and an advanced combat character card in the game for every character?

Yes.

The Advanced Battle mode looks pretty good to me so far. The cards all seem to give an option on how best to use them in a given situation--if at all--and the use of abilities with high risk/high reward is always fun. Additionally, there's a good chance for all the characters to play differently respective to their skills, which I really like, and a resource management aspect as well. In the end it's still a fairly light card and dice game though, so temper expectations accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.