Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Puente
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My local bookstore has both the original reprint and the 30th anniversary edition on their shelf, both are priced at $40. Which one should I get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Stronghold's first version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally get the 30th Anniversary edition as the current expansions are geared towards that version of the game.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
I would go for the 30th anniversary as I understand the original version has some mountain tiles that are printed a little off and reprints are issued through the 5-6 players expansion pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadian O'Reilly
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had both as I love the game and I sold the 30th Anniversary one as I prefer the original although the 30th still looks great its the original for me and purchase the 5-6 player expansion anyway, the extra dolphin and dive dice come with the original but not with the 30th anniversary one.
So my advice and we have played 70 games of this is go with the original and purchase the 5-6 player expansion set and then the only other expansion is the Giant squid witch we have but don't play with.
We play with the standard die not the dive and dolphin and we have tried both.
Great family game and the first game we played with our 7 year old son when he was 5 and he picked it up no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest the 30th...
the original requires you to buy the original 5-6 player expansion which has the replacement tiles as mentioned previously. The original 5-6 player expansion is hard to find. Also the meeples in the original require tiny stickers with numbers placed under them. They come off easy in my opinion. The meeples in the 30th have engraved numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Totally agree on the stickers coming off. I ended up writing the numbers with a perm marker.

Should you decide on getting the original with the expansion pack, it can still be found at the BGG Store:
Geek Store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the 30th from amazon for $25 w/free shipping less than two weeks ago, highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Puente
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. My biggest question was how often people use the dolphin and dive dice. I'm not sure if the original including them makes up for the better component quality in the 30th anniversary edition. Looks like I'll just get the bundle from amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
vpreacher wrote:
Thanks for the responses. My biggest question was how often people use the dolphin and dive dice. I'm not sure if the original including them makes up for the better component quality in the 30th anniversary edition. Looks like I'll just get the bundle from amazon.
Get the dive dice if you can afford it, it's a great addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Dolphin and Dive Dice when there are 4+ players. Makes for a faster more chaotic game. With 2-3 players I use the regular red monster die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the pre 30th edition. At the time the 30th Ed. was announced, Stronghold had no intention of adding the dive dice and dolphin. Of course, now that Stronghold has all the expansions, I would recommend the 30th edition, plus all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: San Francisco 49ers fanMicrobadge: Martin Luther King, Jr.Microbadge: Whiskey!
30th is pretty gorgeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls