Subject: Revealing which mage you're playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenni Portman
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So today as my husband and I were building our respective decks, we had a few questions and wanted to hear what you all thought.

When building a deck for friendly play (no tournament or anything) should you reveal which mage you are going to use?

If you do and one of the two chooses the wizard, should they also reveal the element they have chosen?

How much does this knowledge really affect deck building? Knowing which mage the opponent chose, how much would it change your strategy?

We told each other which mages we wanted to play, since we only have one copy of the base game but then had a long discussion on this when Mr Husband chose to play the wizard.

Please help us before blood flows arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reveal the element. Otherwise the Wizard player always has a bit of hidden knowledge that the other players can not duplicate.

All players should know all players specialty schools going into the arena.

There is nothing saying you could not say you are a fire mage, and then devote spell book construction to being a wind mage with much more expensive out of school wind spells, but as funny as that may be once, the opponent may not approve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't tell my opponents what element I am, but I only reveal what my mage is when we start playing anyway. I don't try to build my book right before playing, I build my book ahead of time, and I don't base the build on a particular matchup. I may change the composition a bit to cover a weak matchup, but I want each of my builds to be able to handle a large variety of strategies. I don't want to build a particular mage to counter another mage in particular, but to have several strong plans which I'll implement as seems appropriate in any given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
There is nothing saying you could not say you are a fire mage, and then devote spell book construction to being a wind mage with much more expensive out of school wind spells, but as funny as that may be once, the opponent may not approve...

How could they not approve? You told them what element you're trained in, not which cards are actually in your build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, we have only said the Mage type, not the Wizard's specific element. It just seems too easy to build your deck to counter a specific element otherwise.

I could only imagine the amount of card "change'ige" I would do if I knew my enemy was an air mage for example. No creatures with +X Lightning; Lighting resistant armor, and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, we play build your spell book first, then when you are about to play, you then reveal "I am an earth wizard" for example.

That way there is no specific element countering during construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the boat where you don't have to reveal anything before the match. You should be building books that can counter a multitude of strategies, not just one. If that's the case you deserve to lose anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree... I build all of my spellbooks to be as versatile as possible... Will I be facing a Force Master? A Warlock? A Priestess? Swarms? Big Creature builds? Solo Mage style? Turtle? I always ask myself if my spell book can take whatever is thrown its way... if it can't, then it's back to the drawing board.

If I knew ahead of time what my opponent was playing, then it'd feel incredibly like cheating to specifically alter my spellbook to counter his particular mage.

I prefer the thematic feel of walking into the torch-lit arena, surrounded by the remains of previous combatants, while across the smoky expanse the opposing door opens to reveal ---

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, speaking as a fellow MageWars player who's primary opponent is his spouse, I'd do whatever she wanted. :-P

No seriously, I can't see any harm either way. If I was at a hardcore tournament, I might argue that not knowing the element is part of what makes the wizard unique, but harmony with my wife (and insuring future games with her) would take priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HARMONIZE WIFE:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always reveal mages and develop our spell books specific for the match up. We treat this similar to a boxing match. You understand the skills and abilities of the opponent you will be facing in the ring.

We treat the Wizard differently to fit his 'trickster' nature. The choice of elemental school is made by the player after knowing the opponent, but is not revealed except as the battle unfolds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenni Portman
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your ideas!
We decided that for future match ups we won't reveal our mages, since it seems to be the best approach, at least for us.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Lapointe
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
We always reveal mages and develop our spell books specific for the match up. We treat this similar to a boxing match. You understand the skills and abilities of the opponent you will be facing in the ring.

We treat the Wizard differently to fit his 'trickster' nature. The choice of elemental school is made by the player after knowing the opponent, but is not revealed except as the battle unfolds.

I hate that.
This approach ruined our MTG games for years filling our decks with useless crap like "Destroy all plains" and "Destroy all mountains" until we realized how ridiculous it had gotten

You'll say this is Mage Wars so it's different and sure... it is... but the basic principle will apply:
If your spellbook cannot go up against any opponent but is designed for the one opponent you know, then you're not going to learn to make balanced decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.