Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Lang wrote this in the Kickstarter comments yesterday, but it is already gone in the history. Just sharing so more can read it
Eric Lang wrote:
Re: difference between teams. The best example is always in the actual gameplay, of course, but I'll try to articulate here how different the teams are.
There are two factors at play: one is that the teams have a global ability, which means that every one of their players has a unique ability that nobody else has. If you play other board games, I'd liken this difference to one of my inspirations Cosmic Encounter. The rules of Kaosball are specifically designed to be simple so that team abilities play a major role in the game.
The second factor is that teams abilities were designed with matchups in mind. So Daemons vs. Ogres will have a completely different feel from Cowboys vs. Zombies, for example (I paired the teams randomly with a d20 for this example for maximum objectivity). Hopefully just looking at the dashboards and the rules will show how that is the case.
Team abilities are designed to change the way you play the base rules of Kaosball with them, and also how you play against them. Some games will be absolute bloodbaths (Amazons vs. well, anyone), some will be knockdown fests (Fangs vs. Trolls), others will be subtle games of ESP (Samurai vs. Ninjas), others may be Mexican Standoffs (Cowboys vs. ...anyone, really). Those are extreme examples; now imagine every point and combination of play in between. Gobbos facing an aggressive team will probably hold their energy cards for defense so they don't die while positioning themselves to knock their players off the field. You would position walls and fire very differently vs. Ninjas than vs. Zombies.
Finally, team abilities are designed to be simple and interactive enough so that they can combine well with a bunch of different upgrades and ringers, increasing variety of experience from game to game without forcing players to reference charts or memorize a ton of different rules. This style of design comes from my background in trading card games, where we make a discipline of getting maximum interactivity for minimal rules.
Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alexander
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for keeping up with these posts and bringing them here. It's hard to keep up with the KS comments sometimes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Kickstarter comments
Eric Lang wrote:
Re: Team variety
A fair number of people would like more variety on the teams themselves, be it custom cards, more sculpts, etc. Our goal with the core set was simplicity and accessibility; tactically rich game play at a good price (and margin). The amount of gameplay variety in the core set + league rules is very high, however I completely understand and empathize with concerns. We had always planned to expand customizability though expansion, and listening to the feedback in this campaign has taught us a lot.

To give you an idea of how seriously we're taking your feedback, David and I are working on retooling expansion plans specifically to expand team variety even more than my original plan. We want to do this in a way that serves both game play _and_ minis variety, so be warned: future releases will make your teams even more customizable than now (and trust me, the variety is pretty darn huge right now out of the box). I also want to do so in a way that does not over-complicate the game, as I strongly want to keep Kaosball a "lunch hour" affair, because that's where the game excels.

I can't give specifics right now, but I want to make sure you guys know you've been heard. More customizability through expansion is coming. You'll also notice that the league rules have left plenty of hooks for new customizable content (cards and achievements).

We're making this game for you, and want it to last for a very long time. Thanks a ton for your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls