Subject: Subtle Plasma Missile House Rule, New Idea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read many, many threads regarding plasma missiles, so I sincerely apologize if this is not a new idea:

I've been experimenting with the house rule requiring players to assign each plasma missile die to a target prior to rolling. So far, it seems to dramatically reduce the complete wipe-out combat scenarios. Players seem to be more likely to load up the potential damage on key ships they want to ensure are destroyed.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong forum.

Too random for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radoslaw Polanski
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is strong discussion about plasma rockets in my group as well, most of all they tend to be clearly powerfull, especially if someone is not strong in researching techs.

pros:
- you research rockets once, then you don't have to research energy
- attacking before cannon phase, if lucky you can wipe out all ships before they will even start

cons:
- quite expensive (14/7)
- you need to have at least optronic computer to make them more efficient
- all builds tends to be typical glass cannon (one computer, drive, 3 energy + as many rockets as possbile)
- there are RotA techs that are good against rockets (disruptor shield and point-defense as far as I remember names correctly)

I tend to invest in rockets when I see that my reseach abilities will not allow me to grab many techs, rockets are available. I am trying to do this in early phase of the game.

variants that we were considering:

1) same as you said - dice allocation before resolving hits (a bit random, but less destructive)

2) part elements limitation (i.e. 2 plasma rocket parts per ship at best, means no more than 4 rockets per ship, for small ship this will mean also 4 dices but hitting when 6 is rolled : 4/26 = ~15% - if you will be lucky, you should hit with 2, maybe 3 rockets, but i most of the cases this will be only 1

I am not so sure if rockets should be nerfed, as there are already counter technolgogies (we play with two disruptor shields and one point defense, plus player needs to be lucky to hit with many rockets at the time, plus you can put a lot of hulls on your ships... If rockets will be unbalanced somehow, nobody really will buy them at 14/7 cost, and most of people will go for at least plasma cannons that can fire repeatedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Weber
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find the missiles are only devastating with multiple computers (if you can get shields). What about only allowing the best computer to affect missiles if there are multiple computers on board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phwop wrote:
I find the missiles are only devastating with multiple computers (if you can get shields). What about only allowing the best computer to affect missiles if there are multiple computers on board?

Nice idea, I'll give that a try as well. Overall, I don't think missiles are a huge problem (and am fine playing RAW), but I'd love to find a small nudge reducing their impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Stahl

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option that's worked well for me is to missile arm interceptors. They can easily be made to fire first and leave the heavier ships for more traditional designs. The missile interceptor works very well against very heavy missile battery designs, as a single interceptor with a decent computer can usually kill 1 heavier missile battery ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fern
msg tools
I'm liking the idea to asign dices before rolling, I think it is worth to try it.
It could make missile battles more random, but I like how it'd be harder to wipe out entire fleets, while the missiles would keep the same power against single ships or small fleets.
Also, missile battles could be a bit more fun that they are with default rules.

Thinking about it, your variant would actually reduce the randomness in missile battles, something I find very important.
Since you are forced to asign your dices, if you are lucky and you get more hits than needed against certain ship, the surplus is wasted. So this variant forces the result to be more similar to the expected average.
At the same, it reduces considerably the chances to destroy all the enemy ships, not related to bad luck, but because the more ships present in the enemy fleet, the more you have to split your dices, and the higher the chances to leave some ship alive.
The missiles would still cause heavy damage, and would keep same power against single ships, but you should not expect to destroy large fleets with missiles alone. I personally like it.

My favourite missile variants until now:
1. Asign dices before rolling.
2. Missiles always fired, damage caused according to initiative. Missiles launched from ships destroyed or retreating do not receive computer bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crocker

Texas
msg tools
mb
What about rolling three die for 1 damage each? It is a slight reduction in power and suffers against hull more so than other weapons, but still very good at wiping out small ships before combat begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.