No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i was searching for a review video on a game im researching and stumble on a youtube channel called geekandsundry with host like felicia day and the child actor from old startrek series (forgot his name). When i check the View count i almost flipped when i saw like 500.000 view counts.. thats 10 times the amount of views that Watchitplayed channel got. This is crazy when rahdo / rickyroyal only got like thousands of views..

Now the geeksundry channel also host other vlogs and they seem to reach more people by uniting under the channel. I wonder should other excellent video reviewers should unite under it to reach more people ? the excellent Rodney's Watchitplayed, Drakkenstrike (if he wakes up), Tom Vasel and Sam and Zee, RickyRoyal/Rahdo, Tragicblathering, blackbeltgaming,lonesomegamer, TheDeadViking, MarcoArnaudo, and many many more...

the massive amount of exposure will help many people see the boardgaming world..

Heck even if just ONE boardgame vlogger joined (like the dice tower) it will be huge exposure and as a bonus BGG will gain more people as well not to mention big big donations from new patrons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. None of the video reviewers (other than Wil Wheaton) are doing reviews for money or publicity. Why should they "collectivize" to get more page hits? There are only so many people who want to see a review of Hanabi or Kaispeicher. Joining a collective is not going to increase the number of page views, unless these reviewers switch to reviewing games by Steve Jackson with model guests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome to wil wheaton's tabletop series, it's on it's 2nd season already.

anyway, joel eddy, one of my favorite reviewers and the one behind one Drive Thru Reviews and Drive Thru Blogs, already sent an audition video. so go vote for him.

Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/20557/drive-thru-blog-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shichigatsu wrote:
welcome to wil wheaton's tabletop series, it's on it's 2nd season already.

anyway, joel eddy, one of my favorite reviewers and the one behind one Drive Thru Reviews and Drive Thru Blogs, already sent an audition video. so go vote for him.

Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/20557/drive-thru-blog-...

yes that his name, i forgpt his name but i know his face from old star trek series when he play a child on enterprise. I never watch joel eddy , what he need vote for ? audition for ? is he any good ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i checked jole eddy's videos and while his conversational and reviews seems great, the camera mugging at the beginning and the end kinda throw me off.. great review material thoug, just need to back up a bit from the camera thats all..

wish this guy fills the empty wargame / strategy game slot on geeknsundry channel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
yes that his name, i forgpt his name but i know his face from old star trek series when he play a child on enterprise. I never watch joel eddy , what he need vote for ? audition for ? is he any good ?

geek and sundry vlogs (an offshoot channel), features different geek vlogs, and they still have 10 slots open, and joel eddy sent an audition.

he's my got-to reviewer when it comes to eurogames, strategy games and other heavy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shichigatsu wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

geek and sundry vlogs (an offshoot channel), features different geek vlogs, and they still have 10 slots open, and joel eddy sent an audition.

he's my got-to reviewer when it comes to eurogames, strategy games and other heavy games.

i wish tom vassal joined that channel.. more exposure = good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Quote:
Should all internet boardgame reviews unite to reach more masses ?

We have - at BGG.

The noise level is high. One seeks smaller groupings to promote from.
Several have done so under Tom's Dice Tower banner. Marco, and Undead Viking
under the 2D6 one (yeah, I and others are there as well - and Joel once
was). I know there are other groupings too.

In terms of views, here and (even more so) Consim World are what generate
views for me. Consortiums are more about what else they can provide (for
example review copies without having to do the leg work); it seems worth
the extra effort, perhaps allowing the branding device to generate some
revenue for someone else (just as BGG is generating off our content).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Quote:
Should all internet boardgame reviews unite to reach more masses ?

We have - at BGG.

The noise level is high. One seeks smaller groupings to promote from.
Several have done so under Tom's Dice Tower banner. Marco, and Undead Viking
under the 2D6 one (yeah, I and others are there as well - and Joel once
was). I know there are other groupings too.

In terms of views, here and (even more so) Consim World are what generate
views for me. Consortiums are more about what else they can provide (for
example review copies without having to do the leg work); it seems worth
the extra effort, perhaps allowing the branding device to generate some
revenue for someone else (just as BGG is generating off our content).

The intent is to bring boardgaming videos to the masses, not to the boardgaming community. Seems like GeeknSundry channel reach people from outside the boardgaming community and thats a plus..

check the views on one of tabletop videos on that channel, and compare it to the other boardgaming video views.. even the most popular video from dicetower are only 1/5 than tabletop's view..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

i wish tom vassal joined that channel.. more exposure = good

The Dice Tower is essentially its own "collective" at this point, it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to disintegrate that and move to Geek and Sundry, regardless of viewership.

In any case, the problem isn't in getting people to regularly watch reviews but rather in bringing an awareness of the hobby to them in the first place. Once someone sees Tabletop, Tom Vasel, Scott Nicholson, some random dudes filming themselves playing on youtube one time or anything else of the sort then the battle is already won, they now know that this hobby exists and if they are interested it is exceedingly easy to do a little research and get into it. Whether or not they make a habit of watching videos on the hobby is irrelevant, I don't become more aware of the board gaming hobby with each Ryan Metzler video I watch, for example. Instead of worrying about uniting under one name perhaps we should just try to spread the hobby further with word of mouth and such, let as many people as is reasonable know that this hobby exists and let nature take its course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dprijadi wrote:

The intent is to bring boardgaming videos to the masses, not to the boardgaming community. Seems like GeeknSundry channel reach people from outside the boardgaming community and thats a plus..

A bunch of unknown boardgame reviewers isn't going to do that.
G&S serves fine in its role - giving a wider community an entry
into the hobby. By focusing on the lighter games, and high production
values, they can only help the hobby. A better suggestion would be that
BGG advertise with them (if they don't already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

bgg is practically unknown to non boardgamers layman who think monopoly is the hardest boardgame ever created.. advertising it on wont increase exposure among casual non gamers

and practicaly everyone on geeknsundry is unknown except for will wheaton and felicia day, what can additional unknown boardgame reviewer do except increase traffic and awareness ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

bgg is practically unknown to non boardgamers layman who think monopoly is the hardest boardgame ever created.. advertising it on wont increase exposure among casual non gamers

Let's see - G&S is presenting the hobby's entry points,
and people who enjoy Tabletop wouldn't be the target audience
for BGG to expand to?

Yeah. That makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Let's see - G&S is presenting the hobby's entry points,
and people who enjoy Tabletop wouldn't be the target audience
for BGG to expand to?

Yeah. That makes sense.

people who got invited to play tabletop vary from game producer, actress, actors, comedy guys, screenwriter, etc.. its a criss cross reference of geek who's who and they all cross road on the table talk.

great effort by will and felicia to facilitate many segment of interest together, including tabletop gaming off course.

im sure its easier to attract the casual non gamers with known people playing games instead of unknown people and unknown website , but another vlog under geekandsundry focusing on harder games or wargames wont hurt the hobby, if people are hungry for more.

you should make a video review sometimes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.

thats great !! making video review is hard.. cant wait to see your video in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.

thats great !! making video review is hard.. cant wait to see your video in the future

https://www.youtube.com/user/calandale

Quote:
and practicaly everyone on geeknsundry is unknown except for will wheaton and felicia day, what can additional unknown boardgame reviewer do except increase traffic and awareness ?

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but the guests on Table Top are mostly all well known in the geek, Youtube, or video game community. Table Top draws a lot of hits because it has Wil Wheaton's name on it and it is part of Felicia Day's channel, but the guests aren't nobodies. They have had a guest from Blizzard, a co-founder of BioWare, a popular scifi actor, a popular video game reviewer, and Grant Imahara from Mythbusters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but the guests on Table Top are mostly all well known in the geek, Youtube, or video game community. Table Top draws a lot of hits because it has Wil Wheaton's name on it and it is part of Felicia Day's channel, but the guests aren't nobodies. They have had a guest from Blizzard, a co-founder of BioWare, a popular scifi actor, a popular video game reviewer, and Grant Imahara from Mythbusters.

no sorry its the wording that i got wrong, i mean other vlog channel in geeknsundry are practically unknown (limited audience) but when they joined geeknsundry they got more views because of additional visibility.

as for tabletop guest they always invite people from all over the geekdom including actress,actor,game publisher/designer, screenwriter etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

no sorry its the wording that i got wrong, i mean other vlog channel in geeknsundry are practically unknown (limited audience) but when they joined geeknsundry they got more views because of additional visibility.

as for tabletop guest they always invite people from all over the geekdom including actress,actor,game publisher/designer, screenwriter etc..

Ah, I follow you now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.

You got a long future.

mlcarter815 wrote:

Way to ruin my fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.

You got a long future.

mlcarter815 wrote:

Way to ruin my fun.

cant' wait for your boardgame video reviews =D good luck !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.

You got a long future.

mlcarter815 wrote:

Way to ruin my fun.

If you look hard enough....

But they ain't what you're used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.

You got a long future.

mlcarter815 wrote:

Way to ruin my fun.

devil must be all the dust in me eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
calandale wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

Thought about it.

You got a long future.

mlcarter815 wrote:

Way to ruin my fun.

devil must be all the dust in me eye

Be careful with that stuff - you could get valley fever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.