Subject: Triple Falcon build - "No Questions Asked" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"No Questions Asked" (99)

Outer Rim Smuggler + Intelligence Agent + Navigator + Anti-Pursuit Lasers (33)

That's it.

Each ship gets to see where its opponent is going to end up and can change its own movement dial accordingly to run traffic. One or more YT-1300s cause a crash each turn, rolling for the APL while ensuring fewer hits against them, meaning that their low agility becomes less of an issue. Assuming only one crash per turn, enemy ships that crash are exposed to two close-range shots of 3 dice each turn but having crashed they would not have focus or evade to attack or defend with.

To fly this build you would have to buy three Falcons and three Lambda Shuttles for the upgrades. But is it worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not ask myself: 'is it worth it?', I would ask: 'is it fun?'

(It looks like fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look like fun. But is it worth it for the Tournaments?

After all for friendly games why not use proxies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
It does look like fun. But is it worth it for the Tournaments?
After all for friendly games why not use proxies?
I'm definitely going to test this in a friendly tonight using proxies. I can't help think that this would do proper damage to TIE swarms which have so far dominated. Indeed, with most builds it just removes any possibility of them using special abilities. Tycho Celchu with PtL? Sorry mate, you've crashed. Darth Vader with two actions? I think not. Wedge with an Advanced Proton Torpedo? I'm afraid you're touching paint so no firing today.

It is obviously silly but at the same time silly in a "Huh, could this actually work?" kind of way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
why not opt for something a little more basic?

ORS + anti pursuit lasers x2
Chewbacca Falcon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:

Chewbacca Falcon
Because I think he wants to try out a number of the new upgrades at once, and try a strategy that could not have been executed until Wave 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
Duraham wrote:

Chewbacca Falcon
Because I think he wants to try out a number of the new upgrades at once, and try a strategy that could not have been executed until Wave 3.
Wot he said.

I tried it with one ORS and the APL averaged 2 damage a game. The rest of the build was rubbish, though, so I forgot about it, even though in each game I was causing my opponent to crash around 4 times. Now I'm just wondering what would happen if I extended it. What would an opponent do if they knew there was a chance that three of their ships would crash (and thus lose actions) every turn or every other turn? I know I would get frustrated very quickly.
This is the first time an entire squad has been based around the idea of every ship you own just continually running interference but with two major differences - most of the guesswork has been taken out and this time crashes might cause damage.
Here in England some of us might say this build is "just not cricket" - it's legal but it's potentially very frustrating.
I just want to see if it will be effective. If nothing else it's surely a build to counter the ever-dominant TIE swarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
If nothing else it's surely a build to counter the ever-dominant TIE swarm.
You've said this twice now and I'm not seeing it. I can see how your "Smuggler Swarm" works against a small elite squad (pilots like Turr Phennir, Darth Vader, Wedge Antilles, Soontir Fel + PtL, ... any ship with PtL, for that matter, most secondary weapons like missiles/torpedoes and the BFG HLC), but a swarm of 6+ ships has a lot of built-in redundancy. If they spread out a little, you can cause 3 of them to crash into your smugglers and some other TIEs might crash into those that have already crashed, but in the end, you'll still be facing focused fire (that is, a lot of unmodified attacks, possibly with rerolls from Howlrunner) from a lot of ships. An ORS isn't much better than a Y-wing on defence, so you could easily lose one every two rounds of fire. And if your opponent has initiative (8x Academy TIEs will, for instance), then your entire strategy falls apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:
If nothing else it's surely a build to counter the ever-dominant TIE swarm.
You've said this twice now and I'm not seeing it. I can see how your "Smuggler Swarm" works against a small elite squad (pilots like Turr Phennir, Darth Vader, Wedge Antilles, Soontir Fel + PtL, ... any ship with PtL, for that matter, most secondary weapons like missiles/torpedoes and the BFG HLC)...
That's quite a lot of builds against which this squad has the potential to be successful. That's not bad going for me!

iNano78 wrote:
...but a swarm of 6+ ships has a lot of built-in redundancy. If they spread out a little, you can cause 3 of them to crash into your smugglers and some other TIEs might crash into those that have already crashed, but in the end, you'll still be facing focused fire (that is, a lot of unmodified attacks, possibly with rerolls from Howlrunner) from a lot of ships. An ORS isn't much better than a Y-wing on defence, so you could easily lose one every two rounds of fire.
You may well be right... I'm not very good at this game, after all!! But let's say that 3 crash in one turn and there are, as you say, lots of unmodified attacks. Yes, one ORS might go fairly quickly - assuming all the other TIEs can in fact hit it (they might not be able to depending on where the crash took place and what angle they're at). But as the game goes on and there are more and more crashes, even with only 2 ORSs, TIEs will fall quicker than one per round from time to time. The built-in redundancy could theoretically collapse.

iNano78 wrote:
And if your opponent has initiative (8x Academy TIEs will, for instance), then your entire strategy falls apart.
There's no doubt that initiative is essential for this squad to win. But who flies 8 Academy TIEs? I know people did in Wave 1 but I haven't ever seen that actually on the table (I joined as Wave 2 came out). The most I've seen is 6 or 7 ships, usually with Stealth Devices to round up to 99 or 100 points. That said, I'm aware that sometimes people like their TIE swarms to run interference so they keep the points low, in which case this squad would be a complete dud. Perhaps one of the ORSs could do without the Intelligence Officer - that might make initiative more likely.

There's only one way to find out if this squad works, which is to test it. If it doesn't, it doesn't, but I think it's interesting whatever happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
pretty much the reason why the 8 TIE swarm doesnt work anymore is due to stealth devices; 2 attack dice simply cannot deal any damage against something like Soontir on Stealth and PTL, no matter how many times you get to shoot at him (if you can somehow get him to collide with you and range 1 him with the 7 other drawfs TIEs that is an entirely different story altogether though)

either way, would be funny if you stuck a cynyd in there somehow. your ORS does an illegal parking, your opponent rams into ORS, your Cynyd rams into your opponent, he takes 1 damage from anti-pursuit laser and a lot of damage from Cynyd's laser pewpews.

Maybe cut away one of the ORS to squeeze in Cynyd and put engine upgrade on all ORS? The boost action would definitely help you in parking, especially against more agile enemies like Awings or another big ship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
...either way, would be funny if you stuck a cynyd in there somehow. your ORS does an illegal parking, your opponent rams into ORS, your Cynyd rams into your opponent, he takes 1 damage from anti-pursuit laser and a lot of damage from Cynyd's laser pewpews.
You score 20 Tusken Raider points for cleverly working an A-wing into this build.

Duraham wrote:
Maybe cut away one of the ORS to squeeze in Cynyd and put engine upgrade on all ORS? The boost action would definitely help you in parking, especially against more agile enemies like Awings or another big ship
Sadly, I have to remove an undisclosed number of Tusken Raider points for suggesting putting two modifications on one ship (viz. APL and Engine Upgrade) which is apparently a big no-no.

But I will think about Crynyd with a missile. Problem is that he's got no Elite Pilot Skill which is rather necessary for an A-wing's survival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Tusken Raider wrote:
Duraham wrote:
...either way, would be funny if you stuck a cynyd in there somehow. your ORS does an illegal parking, your opponent rams into ORS, your Cynyd rams into your opponent, he takes 1 damage from anti-pursuit laser and a lot of damage from Cynyd's laser pewpews.
You score 20 Tusken Raider points for cleverly working an A-wing into this build.

Duraham wrote:
Sadly, I have to remove an undisclosed number of Tusken Raider points for suggesting putting two modifications on one ship (viz. APL and Engine Upgrade) which is apparently a big no-no.

But I will think about Crynyd with a missile. Problem is that he's got no Elite Pilot Skill which is rather necessary for an A-wing's survival.
Crynyd + Shield (or stealth) + Missile ~ 30-32 pts, not too bad methinks. If your opponent shoots at your Awing, its good also, less attacks flowing over to the ORSes. Even better if the attacks miss

and anti-pursuit lasers is a modification upgrade? ok....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
and anti-pursuit lasers is a modification upgrade? ok....
[IMG]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/news/wa...

Yes. It is. Only one modification per ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went 4-1 with this list today, including winning 1 game against a TIE swarm. I lost one ORS before it shot so I was 66pts against 100pts and with the Lasers and Turret weapons I still destroyed the enemy squad.

Unfortunately my opponent wouldn't swap lists and use the ORSs against me because I would have flown my 7 TIE list that came second at UK Nationals and am confident I could have won.

This is one of my favourite lists I've played as in a while. I can see Pursuit lasers hurting TIE fighters, because I remember seeing something about TIEs originally having 2 Hull in an initial design of the game, but they thought them too fragile. Well now, with lasers that hit before the TIEs are even shot at, they are back on them 2 hull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's alive! Alive! And it works!!

Even losing an entire ORS, the combination of knowing where your opponent is going, changing your move accordingly and then causing a crash thus denying them actions and frquently hitting them for damage before even firing is deadly. I can believe that this would be annoying as hell to fly against because it takes all your clever thinking about positioning, reveals it and immediately renders it irrelevant. That would take nerves of steel to face off against that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And now I've been able to finally play my own squadron, adding another win to make its record now 5-1. Of my opponent's 6 crashes, 5 of them ended up in taking APL damage. Because of the location of the crashes, he had to spread his attacks over my ORSs so that even though one was destroyed before any of my opponent's ships took any damage, once the crashing really started he was powerless against this build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

gabe69velasquez wrote:

Why....why are all those satellite dishes backwards!! WHY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Play against any soontir + PTL + Stealth deviced opponents? I see this build having problems cracking a good stealthed Soontir or Vader. Any issues flying around the inevitable crowded center of the board? Could see this becoming tricky as the first thing I'd probably do facing this is make a triangle of doom with asteroids in the center
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shazbot wrote:
Why....why are all those satellite dishes backwards!! WHY
It turns out that it's because it's the same ship. There's apparently a function on some cameras today whereby you can stitch different shots together into one. You keep the camera steady, take a photo, move the item, take another photo etc. and if all comes out in one photo.

If you look carefully at the shadows, there are problems with some of them. So this is probably two Falcons and photo stitching. They're just mirror images of each other.

[q='JohhnyD144"]Play against any soontir + PTL + Stealth deviced opponents? I see this build having problems cracking a good stealthed Soontir or Vader. Any issues flying around the inevitable crowded center of the board? Could see this becoming tricky as the first thing I'd probably do facing this is make a triangle of doom with asteroids in the center [/q]
Soontir isn't a problem for YT-1300s - he's nourishment. No clever boosting or barrel rolling here... make sure he crashes before he gets an action and then it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Even if he attacks and moves, he's never impossible to hit with turrets.

Vader? Lose his actions and he's just a rubbish TIE-Advanced.

Asteroids could be the undoing of this build if used properly... I could imagine that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
darkcurse + stealth or shield would be a big problem though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Nixon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
"No Questions Asked" (99)

That's it.

Each ship gets to see where its opponent is going to end up and can change its own movement dial accordingly to run traffic. One or more YT-1300s cause a crash each turn, rolling for the APL while ensuring fewer hits against them, meaning that their low agility becomes less of an issue. Assuming only one crash per turn, enemy ships that crash are exposed to two close-range shots of 3 dice each turn but having crashed they would not have focus or evade to attack or defend with.

To fly this build you would have to buy three Falcons and three Lambda Shuttles for the upgrades. But is it worth it?

pretty cool build. very innovative. and seemingly good against tie swarms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robinson
Australia
flag msg tools
I have one word that I believe would perform well against this....

Fettigator!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls