Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chooch Mic
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I have played louis as a two player and enjoy it alot (other than explaining it to a new player) and i just got el grande thru a trade and have not played it.

my wife and I have another couple we have forced euro games on and they really like both settlers and samurai. what is the next step.

they have invited us over for dinner and a game, which of el grande and louis shall we play as a 4 player. Now that they are almost hooked on the euro games i don't want to lose them with a bad gaming choice.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
First El Grande, then Louis. IMO, EG is easier to teach, is more social, and is simply a better game. I am a fan of LXIV as well, but I think it's easier to teach to someone who already knows how to play EG (the province and court mechanic).
In terms of 'hooking' someone, my experience has been that EG is more confrontational, which can lead to more, um, commentary, and more laughs around the table.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have never played Louis XIV (yet), I've heard that it can be tough to grasp at first.
El Grande, on the other hand, is fairly easy to teach and learn even though it has some depth to it.

I would suggest reading up on the El Grande rules and making sure you understand everything before teaching it, and then taking El Grande with you. Some people might say that El Grande is only worth playing with 5 players, but those people are a bit crazy. It works perfectly fine with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande is easier to teach and, IMO, the better game. I'd start there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both (El Grande first) and when I was taught Louis XIV I was pretty confused. Although the court/province concept carries over it feels opposite in Louis. In Louis your General Supply (province) are the pieces out on the board in your quadrant. I kept getting confused that the pieces out in the playing field are the pieces I need to move to my private area first and then back out onto the board but this time on a portrait.

The multi-level payouts for the cards before and after flipping etc. are harder to grasp. Louis is a good game once your play it a little bit but El Grande is the easier game to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visually, El Grande is easier to comprehend, and its central conflict -- claiming territory -- is much more straightforward. The big beautiful board sucks people in. Like you said, it's a chore to explain Louis XIV, though I like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it seems as if the matter has been settled -- I would also say El Grande is the better choice. It is significantly more intuitive than Louis XIV and (in my opinion) a bit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Justin.

I didn't think very much of Louis, but El Grande is a 10-rating game for me.

~Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ogma wrote:
Agreed, Justin.

I didn't think very much of Louis, but El Grande is a 10-rating game for me.

~Scott

I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.