Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Has anyone developed a point-based system for building your own balanced scenarios?

I tried searching the forums here, but I may have been using poor search criteria if one has already been developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
+thumbsup for the avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
+thumbsup for the avatar
Sorry for being totally off-topic, but that's the "Venus von Willendorf" statue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Maybe I should retitle this topic and ask for it to be moved to off-topic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not seen a point based tracking for scenarios but I have developed some scenarios which I first upload to DOW M44 scenario editor then tweak to provide balance or amendments.

I have typically created fairly balanced scenarios for use in tournament environments.

Do you feel that a points allocation would have validity based on the random factors of dice rolls and proper hand management/turn forecasting strategy? It seems to me that a points allocation would be a little unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that now we have the equipment pack it would be good to get more use out of it, so a deck like the Call to arms one of Battlelore together with a point buy system would make for interesting random battles and also please those who like balanced scenarios (though that doesn't include me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
To answer Paul - I'll fill you in on the background here.

I'm a long time gamer, and I recall many years ago having a lot of fun building scenarios in Squad Leader (before Advanced SL existed) based on a 10pts for this unit, 5 points for that defensive terrain feature, system.

The last few days my 8-year old son has been asking to play Memoir '44, but he's been wanting to build his own scenarios, and deploy his own troops as he sees fit. I was just wondering whether there was a suggested or tried and tested method for balancing opposing forces and situations that I could draw on, or should I just build my own. If I built my own, I reckon I could easily balance the various unit types, but I would struggle to put a value on:

- hand size
- on-board objectives (as opposed to unit kill-count)
- special forces

We only have the basic game set, so it shouldn't be too arduous, but it would be handy if anyone has already done one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls