jon beall
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Reiner Knizia fan - The square of the cube over the root of the camelMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Fantastiqa fanMicrobadge: I enjoy creative game photographyMicrobadge: Silver Image Uploader
When I arrived at the Wandering Dragon I had two players ready to play a game of Fantastiqa.

One of these players was Aaron, and his opponent was his 8 year old son, N.

I started to set up the game, and explain that they would be going adventuring, initially only having in their deck some things they could find in their house (such as a cat, a dog, a toothbrush, a spatula, etc.) N was immediately drawn in by the art on the character cards, and carefully selected his starting character. (He said "my player is on the cover of the box, so he must be the most important!")

Aaron chose his player as well, and after they received their starting cards, they were off and ready to adventure. N was drawn in by the art on the cards and the description of the creatures. He quickly understood the symbols he would need to subdue the creatures, and was able to use his starting artifact to switch creatures on the board so that he could subdue whatever was in his path.

He was making short work of everything in his path, and his deck was quickly growing (as was his pile of gems).

Aaron wasn't able to move quite as quickly, and though he was more deliberate about his actions, N completed his personal quest while Aaron was still deliberately building his deck.

I explained the the important thing was to complete quests, and N immediately started setting aside symbols to complete open quests. He also realized he was short on some symbols, and so bought three beasts to help him on his way. He used two +S cards, so was able to choose from five total cards (and bought three of them).

At this point it seemed apparent that he would not be needing any more help with the game, as his deck was powerful and he wasn't struggling to subdue anything in his path. Aaron completed an open quest, and then turned up another quest. N completed the next open quest, and then turned up another quest.

They were battling to six points; Aaron realized that his personal quest wasn't completed, and N had already gotten three points. He would just need to complete one more open quest and he would win the game.
The quest he had the best chance of completing had three teeth and two flames.

N was able to get these cards within three turns, and handily won the game. Final score: N had 8 points (despite needing only 6 to win) and Aaron had 0 points (the open quest was +1, but his personal quest counted as -1)

Both players were highly interested in getting a copy of the game... although I think that part of Aaron's motivation may have been to get revenge after being so soundly beaten!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathanbeall wrote:
They were battling to six points; Aaron realized that his personal quest wasn't completed, and N had already gotten three points. He would just need to complete one more open quest and he would win the game.
The quest he had the best chance of completing had three teeth and two flames.
Nice report!

Were you playing with completed quests being open information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon beall
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Reiner Knizia fan - The square of the cube over the root of the camelMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Fantastiqa fanMicrobadge: I enjoy creative game photographyMicrobadge: Silver Image Uploader
Yes. When demoing I have players play with their completed quests as open information, so that they can get a grasp on the flow of the game (and the points necessary to win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon beall
msg tools
badge
In addition I should add that we house-rule that as well, and play with completed quests as open information. (For the exact reasons that are stated in the thread you linked to)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls