Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
As somebody completely unfamilar with the American law system, could somebody explain what happened in Texas today? I haven't even heard of the word 'filibuster' before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
As somebody completely unfamilar with the American law system, could somebody explain what happened in Texas today? I haven't even heard of the word 'filibuster' before.
The filibuster is a parliamentary procedure in the Senate (one of houses the legislative branch) used by the minority party (in the Texas case, the Democrats) to prevent a bill from being passed. Usually it takes a Super-Majority to stop a filibuster.

To filibuster you can hold the floor, if you can hold the floor. You have to keep standing, keep talking. No breaks, no leaning, no pauses, no drinking, no bathroom. In Texas, you must also stay on topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
I had heard about filibusters before. Apparently the american political system does not allow for interruptions to speeches, so it's possible to delay a political decision as long as you can continue speaking in front of the assembly.

I read an article once in Cracked about famous filibusters.
Googling gives me these: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/26/wendy-davis-abor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Dispaminite wrote:
SuperChutney wrote:
The filibuster is a parliamentary procedure in the Senate (one of houses the legislative branch) used by the minority party (in the Texas case, the Democrats) to prevent a bill from being passed. Usually it takes a Super-Majority to stop a filibuster.

To filibuster you can hold the floor, if you can hold the floor. You have to keep standing, keep talking. No breaks, no leaning, no pauses, no drinking, no bathroom. In Texas, you must also stay on topic.
The point is that a vote cannot be called unless the floor is free.

I'm surprised you have to stay on topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
Filibusters are a way of preventing action in the US parliaments. Basically, one individual or group of individuals just talks about anything they want simply to take up time. There is no limit on their length of talk, and nothing else can happen while they're addressing congress, so they are preventing something from happening.

Filibusters are used when one group doesn't have voting control, but they do have enough individuals in parliament to cycle through talking to use up all the parliament time, preventing the vote from even happening.

I think 60+ members in the 100 person US senate is a 'filibuster-proof' majority, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. They're may be a limit on speaking times or something.

The best filibuster ever is this one by Patton Oswalt:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
This is the same video I just posted, isn't it?

Dammit Chicken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
SuperChutney wrote:

The point is that a vote cannot be called unless the floor is free.

I'm surprised you have to stay on topic.
Apparently in Texas you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
I think 60+ members in the 100 person US senate is a 'filibuster-proof' majority, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. They're may be a limit on speaking times or something.
60 votes is a Super-Majority (3/5th) in the US Senate, which is needed to end a filibuster by vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Too Much Candy
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. So Wendy Davis was the filibuster for a law that was going to be voted for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
Okay. So Wendy Davis was the filibuster for a law that was going to be voted for?
Yep. She eventually yielded the floor, but others stepped in for her. The law being passed had to do with abortion. From what I understand, from the guardian article, it would make having abortions much harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was an abortion law. She got called out on three points of order, but protesters stormed the building, breaking the deadline.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/wendy-davis-filibusters-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
A law which Democrats have stated would severely curtail women's ability to get abortions in the state of Texas. I'm sure there would be those that disagree. I don't know enough about the law to say what is true.

There was special assembly of in Texas to vote on the measure. She needed to get to midnight, when the session would be legally required to end, and thus prevent a vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zd00 wrote:
Yeah, it was an abortion law. She got called out on three points of order, but protesters stormed the building, breaking the deadline.

The vote still happened, but there's a question on if the vote happened before or after midnight. The record says it happened before the midnight deadline, but the democrats are saying that the record was changed, the vote happened after, and the vote was illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the record for a filibuster is 24 hours and 18 minutes: http://ezinearticles.com/?Famous-Filibusters-in-Political-Hi...

And this was the article that made me read about it: http://www.cracked.com/article_19028_the-6-most-childish-thi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
zd00 wrote:

The vote still happened, but there's a question on if the vote happened before or after midnight. The record says it happened before the midnight deadline, but the democrats are saying that the record was changed, the vote happened after, and the vote was illegal.
The guardian article says that reporters recorded the vote as finishing after midnight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
zd00 wrote:

The guardian article says that reporters recorded the vote as finishing after midnight.
It's certainly possible. I haven't been following the case, but no doubt it's going to be challenged, and taken to court, where it'll spend months, if not years, dragging on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
zd00 wrote:

Whether the vote happened before midnight or not, Dewhurst didn't sign the bill and called it dead. It's possible they'll have a special session and get it passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Phelanpt wrote:
SuperChutney wrote:
Yep. She eventually yielded the floor, but others stepped in for her. The law being passed had to do with abortion. From what I understand, from the guardian article, it would make having abortions much harder.
She didn't yield, she was forced to stop talking due to a point-of-order objection on germaneness (not on topic). It was her 3rd. (two for germaneness, one for aid).

the vote did not finish before midnight, and the Bill did not pass. I started a thread on this in RSP: Filibuster in TX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP is a cesspool though, Jmilum. You and I both hang out there. We both know it's not for civilized people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
True, so true. Maybe I should remove the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zd00 wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
zd00 wrote:

Whether the vote happened before midnight or not, Dewhurst didn't sign the bill and called it dead. It's possible they'll have a special session and get it passed.
It's likely a second special session will be called (this was first special session). Because of the filibuster, two other laws to be voted on didnt make it to the floor that were scheduled after the abortion bill. One for approval of funds for some transportation projects and one related to being able to sentence 17 year olds to life without parole for certain other crimes beyond capital murder which is only allowed currently in Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sadly in the US Senate, you don't really even need stay on topic, or even stand the floor these days. A modern filibuster is so easy to maintain, both parties immediately threaten them, and major bills are retracted rather than face a filibuster.

After all, the Senate has important things to do. Like declare silly things like the smilie as The Official Emoticon of The United States of America. (That's made up, but indicative of what can get bipartisan support these days, and probably true anyway).

The New Yorker put out a nice article in their Jan 28th edition on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So protesters disrupt the legal and above board senate vote?

Typical.

Its pointless, really. They'll just call another session, and it will pass 19 to 10 or something. The bill is widely supported by a clear majority of Texans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the filibuster rule in the US Senate is totally different. In that they don't actually have to hold the floor and talk anymore on most things. They just have to say that they will. This is what is the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] |