Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Drickman
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would be pretty cool, but maybe out of a dark color. That said, I see almost no chance that this happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam W
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky in that my girlfriend works in an SFX workshop so I was already thinking about getting her to make some gate markers that I could use for Arkham Horror. I might borrow your coloured opaque plastic idea though and make disks the same size as the AH gate tokens. This way they can be slotted in and out of the markers themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exitalterego wrote:
I'm lucky in that my girlfriend works in an SFX workshop so I was already thinking about getting her to make some gate markers that I could use for Arkham Horror. I might borrow your coloured opaque plastic idea though and make disks the same size as the AH gate tokens. This way they can be slotted in and out of the markers themselves.
Don't forget matching Elder Sign tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam W
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Don't forget matching Elder Sign tokens

I'd already thought of these to, but if the plastic tokens stretch is reached I won't need to make them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the gates are going to be on top of rocky, skull-covered plateaus. I don't really see a rocky, skull-covered plateau looking very good in a bright, see-through blue. Or see-through anything, for that matter.

I get where you're coming from with this, because the picture shows a glowing blue light coming up from the ground, but making these out of a material like those Ravenloft figures wouldn't give that effect. I think it would just come across as silly unless the clear plastic part was inlaid into a gray opaque base. Maybe it could have an LCD light you could turn on to make it glow. But somehow I don't see that happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zebra Matt
United Kingdom
Brighton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something cast in a clear blue like that would be good if you then painted the gate, as you could leave certain areas glowing.

But it's probably a bit much for a minor visual tweak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Translucent plastic like that looks kinda neat, but makes it tough to see detail. I'd prefer gray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The gates also have stone pillars surrounding them. I guess they could be considered "crystal" pillars but it seems that even the OP has given up on this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
The gates also have stone pillars surrounding them. I guess they could be considered "crystal" pillars but it seems that even the OP has given up on this idea.
It's still a good idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I don't see why it's a good idea yet. The Gate is supposed to be massive stone pillars and bone-crusted rubble surrounding flagstones with mystical emblems carved into the living rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
I guess I don't see why it's a good idea yet. The Gate is supposed to be massive stone pillars and bone-crusted rubble surrounding flagstones with mystical emblems carved into the living rock.
I guess for those that don't paint, I like your vision but I personally don't have the skills

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam W
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I was planning on doing was creating vertical gate markers so that the gate was more of a portal (a bit cliched maybe). I can then slot the Arkham gate tokens into them, or based of the see-through-plastic idea, make coloured discs for CW gates.

The bases to hold these were still going to follow the theme of rubble and mystical symbols though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Curwen

New York
msg tools
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:
I guess for those that don't paint, I like your vision but I personally don't have the skills
If I paint anything I will paint these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An unpainted translucent gate would look silly.

While a painter would be able to paint the rocky parts in grays, you would need to light it with an LED to get the effect you guys are describing. There are numerous Heroclix models that fail to pull off the glowy-effect by using translucent plastics, and they have a lot more translucent surface area.

A painter will be able to paint on glowy effects easily. You can find numerous tutorials like this one:
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2013/03/tutorial-how-to-p...

While my first thought upon seeing the gates was "Ooh, LED's, please," I'm leaning toward just painting them up now.

Of course, nothing is to stop one from making a mold of the top, hollowing it out, adding an LED, recasting the surface in clear resin, gluing it on, and painting it up...

I suppose by the time the game actually arrives I may have failed enough SAN checks to do just that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls