Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Pidcock
Canada
Baie d'Urfe
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I had the chance to try this game the other night. Never having played it, and just reading the rules I was VERY disappointed after purchase. I’d been hoping for some colorful sort of imaginary battle of “warriors , myth, and magic” – The game is not that.

What it seems to attempt to do, is to make a card game as accessible and straight-forward as Crazy-8s or Gin Rummy such that any card players in the world, or family, might be able to play it. It does this very well, the rules are exceedingly simple and straight-forward once you have read through the rule book 3 or 4 times .. I swear, the people who write rule-books should be shot. Most games could be describes in 3 or 4 lines, why do they do this to us? This and Arkham Horror are the two people I’d punch up the conk.

I think it ALMOST hits this mark except for the necessity of dice which mars a concept which could otherwise be cards-only and kept in a box. I’d also recommend that the boxing chance, to be much more pocket-sized like a deck of proper cards, if it’s got that market in mind.

I also disagree with the 2-4 maxim on the box. I say play this with more people.. There’s no inherent limitation in the setup for number of players.

Having played the game, my initial impression completely changed. It’s quite strategic and challenging, a very clever game which involves as much thinking as chance.

How it plays: It’s very simple. 3 rounds, deal out 7 cards to each player, keep 4 (except the final round, keep 5.) There are nation cards, infanty, archer and cavalry cards in 5-6 different nations (eg., dwarves, elves); Two special cards: Catapults - which can destroy any 1 card during battle, at any time, and Wizard cards which keeps an army safe but harmless for 1 round; and battle cards, which describe an attack of one nation on another. They also give bonus infantry, archer, and cavalry symbols. Mercenary cards are also battle cards, but let you take pieces from any army.

You use battle cards to carry out attacks on enemy nations, capturing cards for 2 points each. At the end, the player gets 2 pts for each card captures, plus a high bonus if you control of any 1 nation (most cards). Some nations such as the barbarians, are worth more than others – so I presume they are more rare.

The strategic part is this: Each nation can only attack their own nation, or their mortal enemies. The Barbarian nation for example, I presume is rarer, and worth the most and can only attack itself, or the Undead nation who are plentiful and worth the least points. Goblins are worth the 2nd most victory points, and can attack only dwarves – the second least valuable, and so on. The actual combat is exactly like Risk – you roll and match up dice depending on the number of units in attack and defense, with some bonuses for archers and cavalry.

After 2 or 3 rounds, the rules become transparent and you play fluidly, and strategy starts to come to you a little while after, and is QUITE tricky. Keeping enough cards to control a nation, while making forces large enough to use in attack when you can only attack CERTAIN nations is very challenging.

After playing one round we played 5 more, it was that infectious, so despite it’s minor problems this game goes with my hearty recommendation.

Similar to Geist only with more chance, as a game that really engages you to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review Andrew!
I picked this up when it came out and haven't gotten it to the table yet (not an unusual occurence for me).

I shared you initial skepticism when I opened the box and read the rules, and then later was a little surprised by the low ratings here on the Geek; but every time I look at it I think "a game created by Alan Moon and Richard Borg can't be that bad." I'll have to get this game to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Acu
United States
Gilroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I gave it ample testing time, and unfortunately it is about as bad as the ratings give it. The random factor in the game allows for a chance for there to be no conflict at all, or far too much. And on the whole, even with 4 players it's not all that fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a good game - if you're in a roll dice and cheer type mood. If you're looking for a serious strategy card game, then forget it. Like in Risk, the dice ARE the game! If you're up for that then Warriors is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinicius Yuiti Takaki
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

I´ll probalby play this today, for the first time.
And I hope it's better than the average 5 score on BGG.

From readingthe rules and "imagine" me playing, I think it can be quite fun.
Let's see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.