Carcassonne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about the back of river tiles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dark Island
Iceland
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

I've got a version of Carcassonne that included river tiles. I wanted to find out why the back of a river tile is black like the starting tile? Is there a reason for it? Should we be using them differently than the rest of the tiles?

The reason why I'm asking is that they stick out when we are drawing new tiles to use. We can instantly see that the where the river tiles are.

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The river is supposed to be played first. When you run out of the river tiles, you start drawing the normal tiles.

We play in a way that the pool/lake at the end of the river is placed automatically, then the next player in turn gets the black normal starting tile to place as they see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The river tiles have the back of the starting tile because they are intended to replace it if you prefer a bigger starting space. When playing with river, remove the all-land starting tile and have players start with drawing and playing river tiles (followers placement allowed of course) and once they run out, move to remaining land tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The River (I or II) is definitely not intended to be shuffled with the other tiles. There are even some extra rules to keep the river from ending early or being impossible to complete. The Count mini-expansion also replaces the starting tile and has that darker back as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Island
Iceland
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot guys! Our copy didn't have extra rules for the rivers so we had no idea how to use them and just shuffled them in.

Played a quick game according to the rules you are talking about and it finally all made sense We used to have gaps everywhere because of the rivers.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of the River was included in the base game. There was approximately 1 centimeter of rules space devoted to it, tucked in a corner, where nobody would ever notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric G
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you follow this link, http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/25102/carc_r2_rules-pdf it brings you to the PDF rules of the expansion of River 2.

Rules for expansion of just the river:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22904/theriver-pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkIsland wrote:
Our copy didn't have extra rules for the rivers so we had no idea how to use them and just shuffled them in.
Searching elsewhere on BGG can be helpful for problems like this, too.

Check this entry in the Web Links section. At the bottom of page 4 of the proivded link you can read a paragraph that describes Rules for using the 12 expansion river tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.