Subject: why do walls win the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Olsen
United States
whitemarsh
MD
flag msg tools
i've only played 2 and 3 player games an each time, we find that who ever builds the most walls the quickest wins. is this just bc we aren't playing a 4 player game? or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
after many 2, 3 and 4 player games we find the ways to get victory points very balanced with all numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice and in both instances, this was not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
In our only game (4 player), one player rushed out all 9 walls, but was unable to much of anything beyond that. Our winner dominated windmills (and got a little help from the church).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very glad to hear this.
Elasund is my newest purchase and I have not gotten around to playing/teaching it yet.
The good reviews/comments and now this small thread keep my hopes high!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very fun game, seemes great for entry- to moderate-level players, but was also fun for the hardcore europlayers in our game.

Walls had a minor effect on our 4-player game...it just gets too hard to keep them going for minimal gain when you can invest in wells and/or churches instead, escpecially if either gets windmills to boot.

If there were a lot of building-over activity going on between all the other players and someone else had a safe section and was earning some money, I suppose it could be a way to win, but unlikely. I can't tell from just one game, but it looks very balanced in that you will need a variety of positions to win and at least a little bit of aggressive behavior, but the aggressive behaviors in the game (positioning the "pirate", building over people) seem pretty mild and shouldn't drive away conflict-averse players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olsen
United States
whitemarsh
MD
flag msg tools
what do you think DOES win the game then? what early strategies? i find that the only way to get ahead is to use influence cards early on and the pretty much only way to get them early on is with walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:

Walls had a minor effect on our 4-player game...it just gets too hard to keep them going for minimal gain when you can invest in wells and/or churches instead, escpecially if either gets windmills to boot.

Ummm... Church sections do NOT get you trade points when built on windmills. It explisitly says so in the windmills section of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone would argue that you should build at least your first three sections of wall, as that point gives you a card when you roll a 7. And I don't think anyone would argue that it is best to build those sections cheap when possible, which creates a rush in the beginning of the game.

After that the importance of wall building very much depends on your position. Someone interested in building over other people will be more likely to spend spare money on walls to get the additional influence needed to strategically place the permits and to overbuild same-size buildings. A player focusing more on money will find the church and the five-gold buildings to be better investments, however such a player will be a constant target of the influence players.

In short (too late), there is no one thing that will win the game. Everything can help win the game, and some things will help more than others depending on your situation - and your situation depends greatly on the dice rolls that have come up for you and how the other players have played.

So ultimately, the answer to your question is: 'it depends'

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ummm... Church sections do NOT get you trade points when built on windmills. It explisitly says so in the windmills section of the rules.
Sorry, thanks for the correction. We played the correct way. I "mis-typed".

Good summary, Octavian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.