GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,638 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

The Civil War» Forums » Variants

Subject: Random leader entry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Kazmierczak
msg tools
Has anyone tried playing using this variant and if so, would you mind sharing your opinions on it? I'm really worried about the game balance being completely thrown off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TKaz84 wrote:
Has anyone tried playing using this variant and if so, would you mind sharing your opinions on it? I'm really worried about the game balance being completely thrown off.

It creates chaos. It can be fun chaos, but it can also be massively imbalancing. I played this once where the Union had Grant, Sherman, Lyon, and Thomas all going by turn 2 - Lee and Jackson wouldn't have appeared until turns 8 and 7 respectively if we'd played the game out that long. Which we didn't because there just wasn't any point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't really like it. I like the original way better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I felt the original was too easy to run as a lets get the good guys promoted routine. Actually prefferred War Between the States leader system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Kazmierczak
msg tools
Would your opinions change if i told you we were using the variant leader system where promotion only happens if you roll an 8+ on the casualty table (7+ if you win)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TKaz84 wrote:
Would your opinions change if i told you we were using the variant leader system where promotion only happens if you roll an 8+ on the casualty table (7+ if you win)?

We use a different roll than the casualty roll (roll once for casualties, once for promotion), and it doesn't change my opinion.

I'm also contemplating permitting wounded officers to be promoted on a 9 or 10+ on the promotion roll as a test in the next game we play. Getting shot was often a viewed demonstration of bravery that led to promotion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Joey Sabin wrote:
The only improvement would be to enter leaders at historical times but roll a leaders assets at the time of engagement. Now that would give you a seat in lincolns chair...

Hm. Using 2 (or even 3) counters per leader, it should be possible to separate leaders from their assets. Would be fun indeed to end up with a brilliant McLellan aided by a blundering Sherman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.