Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[rantstarting]I just saw an ad for Yedo which said something to the effect of: "if you ever played Lords of Waterdeep and found it lacking, this game is for you!".

Now, I have heard other people say that Yedo is the next step up over Lords of Waterdeep, and it has probably been added to the "games that got fired by other games" GeekLists, and that's all well and good. I've even added it to my "want to play" list to see what it's all about.

But why, oh why, in a niche industry such as ours, where game designers and developers make so little money and work at it for the love of the cardboard, does a company have to create an ad that takes a shot at another game or game designer? Does that mean we are no longer a niche industry? Has our hobby grown to the point where companies need to attack the merits of other games so that they can promote their own? I probably have a naive perception of the bonds that bind the designers and publishers on BGG, but I always felt like they were a close-knit group, had a gentlemen's (and gentlewomen's) respect for each other, and were above this kind of thing.

Or, is this not a big deal at all and I got irritated at it because it was the first time I've seen this occur? I can't wait for the next wave of ads, "If you ever played Stone Age and thought it sucked, then you need to play our newer edition, better dice placement game, Can't Stop!".
[/rantover]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Irish wrote:
There was a similar 'rivalry' between Sam Raimi and Wes Craven (one scene in Evil Dead shows a poster for The Hills Have Eyes' ripped in half as if to say this is way scarier than your film), it was all fairly friendly.

I can't imagine the company behind it would have done it if there was any actual enmity(?) there.
Well let's remember that the target company in this case is Hasbro (via WotC), so I'm not so sure it's "friendly rivalry" so much as "poking the 400 pound gorilla".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Actually, I think the ad effectively goes the other way. I've never played Lords of Waterdeep, nor have any interest in it, so I presume by comparing Yedo to it that the publishers of Yedo don't think I will enjoy their game.

I think they're actually shooting to capture exactly the type of people who do enjoy LoW, or if not intentionally doing so, probably capturing them unintentionally at the very least.

If I saw an ad for a new drink advertised with "Do you want something better than coffee in the morning?", I'd imagine it to be targeted toward current coffee drinkers, not people who can't stand the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"mjacobsca" hates when game publishers compare their products to other companys' products.

Why does "mjacobsca" hate free enterprise? Does he hate the American way of life too?

"mjacobsca". Wrong for Boardgamegeek! Wrong for America!

Paid-for-by-the-committee-to-post-useless-crap-as-thread-replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's a PnP company called World Works Games that used to promote themselves like that.

They'de say things like "why pay all that money for terrain or spaceship minis when you can just print ours up?"

The problem is it really insulted some of their potential customers who might enjoy actual model building and PnP stuff.

The other problem was that their products aren't cheap either. Card modeling is expensive, believe me.

They could have just said "There are great terrain and mini products available and we're proud to add ours to the list. Check us out!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I just saw an ad for Yedo which said something to the effect of: "if you ever played Lords of Waterdeep and found it lacking, this game is for you!".
I believe that was an actual quote from a video review by Tom Vasel (The Dice Tower).

As I recall, Tom likes both games.

Regardless... they are letting people know that their game is a more-involved game somewhat similar to Lords of Waterdeep and they are using a quote from a recognized game reviewer to do it.

I don't have a problem with any of this.

EDIT: Maybe I should add... I found Lords of Waterdeep to be lackluster and I have Yedo on preorder. But I think I preordered long before that ad appeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I actually see nothing wrong with the statement. Remember, text can be very easily misconstrued because people project their own tone and biasis to what they're reading.

I see the statement as just what it says - as an if then statement. If you're satisfied with waterdeep then look no further. If you wanted more, check us out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of that comparing of it to LoW has definitely scared me away, but maybe Yedo really is a good game. I will probably never know. I immediately disliked Waterdeep and was not expecting to at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
BGG has ads? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it an attack, but I think it is bad form.

Personally, I really like Lords of Waterdeep (minus the mandatory quests) and dismissed Yedo after reading the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood the rules of tv ads and billboards were that noone was allowed to specifically attack another brand or competing product (at least where I come from). Why are the rules suddenly different for online advertising?

Claiming that something is better than coffee generally is obviously fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I'm thinking it's was supposed to be taken lightly.
This is the internet, where nothing is true and everything is deadly serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears this ad has been highly effective at getting publicity ... they will be encouraged to run these campaigns again ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls