Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was pretty busy and didn’t manage to find the time to participate in the wolfy award stuff so far.

So I decided I should give out my own little awards. Of course, these are only going to be from games I played in and thus know about. I have know idea if I am duplicating any other awards.

Most Innovative New Game Mechanic: Items, by MDP, in Haunted Village. Abilities that are passable and acquirable! Pretty brilliant. And a lot of work for the mod. They were excellent games, and items have gone on to be used in other games.

Best play by a Wolf: BlueBehir, in Valley of the Seers. In the game, there were 5 seers and 4 wolves. There was a loop of 3 seers who proved each other, and a couple others claimed to have looked at them, so they were provably seers. Bluebehir pointed out that by his own claim, Moonmonster must know all 5 seers in the game, 100% logically provable, if he was a seer. But moonmonster wasn’t seeing it. So we went along with Bluebehir’s faultless logic, and lynched him. He was a seer, Bluebehir a wolf. I still believe it was the best play by the seers, to follow Bluebehir, based on logic and peoples actions. Bluebehir had put himself in a position where the only logical course of action was to follow him. Great play!

Best play by a Villager: Threnody, in one of the small games we played. Here, I was the seer, and had viewed Threnody as a wolf. SevenSpirits was the Sorcerer and was claiming Threnody was innocent. What should Threnody believe? Obviously, that I am evil and Seven is good. And yet, the whole thing was caused by Thren being the tinker (who loks like a wolf to the seer). She managed to convince me that she was the tinker, and believe that I was really the seer, and then we convinced the others to lynch a couple others, who were the only remaining wolf candidates. It was especially memorable to me because we play in person, and have a little competition thing going about beating each other when we are on opposite teams. So it was especially hard for us to ignore that cursed seer view and trust each other.

Best Short Game: Loony Toons, modded by Kuchick. It was a great game, and then it was made even better by Kuchick posting every PM that had been sent all game, in order, after it was over. It was an excellent read! I mean, in this game, there were multiple pairs of villager claiming via PM to various people to be the two wolves, to try and trick the evil support roles!!

Best Mysterious Game: Shadows in the Dark, modded by SevenSpirits. We didn’t know the role names, we didn’t know what all was in the game, but there were plenty of hints spread out amongst us to piece many things together. It was very exciting. And so funny to be hunting for ‘wayfarers’ the whole game and not finding them.

Best False Role Claim: Who could forget Jmilum’s “I am the Witness and Seanp is a wolf” when it was in fact the other way around. Classic. Another memorable one to me was in Elysia 2, where Oilslider claimed to be a Wayfarer (the second one in the game, when none were in the role description), with the power that he was immune to every various ability that anyone in the game had. And poison (which wasn’t mentioned anywhere but was secret dark elf power, that he had heard about). Incredibly, his claim was believed, at least for a few days, especially when poison ended up killing someone!

Best Win By A Village: Narnia, modded by Melsana. I mean, the game wasn’t exactly unbalanced. The wolves had incredibly powerful abilities. Including the evil seer that sees one extra person per night than the night before, and looks for good specials. And the evil could win by killing the 4 ‘children’ (good specials). Its just that the village managed to, with only one seer view, correctly pick 4 evil players in 4 days out of a total of 27 people. And there was no full role reveal or anything . There wasn’t much role reveal contributing to it at all.

Most Metagamed Against in Night 0 views: Jaredh. After his complaints that everyone always viewed him night 0, I noted that there was a fair amount of metagaming in the N0 views. I had noticed this some in person as well. I really felt it personally when on Night 0 of shadows in the dark, all 4 players with a targeted night ability targeted me. But in that case, it helped me. I have decided that in all future games I moderate, all seer roles will be given random Night 0 views. Its better that way. It really is.

Best Posts to a Werewolf game as a Zombie: Jmilum. With his Paparazzi Automated Smear System in Showbiz. Awesome.

Best Play by an Evil Support Role: I am going to say ‘screw modesty’ and pick me in Loony Toons. Yay me! I rule! Anyway, it was pretty aweomse. Day 1, last SECOND snipe of a person I had viewed as a seer, with seconds to go, after Jaredh moved his vote off me in the final minute so it was possible. Day 2, after lynching the random role seer, I convince people I am the seer and lynch another innocent. And then the seer is killed in the night. Day 3, its pretty clear I am the sorcerer, and yet we manage to lynch the person who had been going along with me instead, who they thought was a wolf helping me, and it turns out was a villager.

I should invent more categories in my own awards that I can win! Just so that I can win the most! Like maybe: ‘Best use of a lance of the Crusader to kill the last wolf, right before a Book of the Damned makes a new one’, or possible ‘Best Avatar that looks like Viggo Mortenson’. Hmmmm, the possibilities…

Special Thanks:

Xlorp, for giving me 30 GG to buy an Avatar.

All the people who commented they like my avatar (and some who even have wanted to not kill me early in a game so my avatar doesn’t go away! Never underestimate the power of a good avatar)

All the werewolf moderators and players, and all those who have innovated new roles and abilities. You make werewolf great!

Boardgamegeek, for being the best boardgame website on the web, and hosting forums for us to play Werewolf in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xlorp is responsible for my avatar as well.

Alex, some great comments! This is the spirit of the awards: to talk about plays of the year past so they don't get forgotten. I think we are all winners if we are having fun, so it's not about the nominations or winners but appreciating what we have here on the geek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wanted to recognize some things that probably wouldnt be recognized in the wolys. I didnt play in most of the famous big games, so I wanted to remember some contributions in some of the smaller ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also want to thank Xlorp for going out of his way to donate avatar gg for me, too.
The man's a f'legend.
That should be a category.

And thanks for your comments Alex, about all of us.

I think it's fair to say most people consider you yourself an awesome player and a great person, so to hear your thoughts, comments and commendations (especially remembering my first game that I didn't die night 1!) is just momentus!

I notice you praise JMilum on more than one occasion, so so must we all.

All hail the noble Lord Nelson!
HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
I notice you praise JMilum on more than one occasion, so so must we all.

All hail the noble Lord Nelson!
HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!

* bows *

Thank you, my friends, for your kind words and regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
I think it's fair to say most people consider you yourself an awesome player and a great person, so to hear your thoughts, comments and commendations (especially remembering my first game that I didn't die night 1!) is just momentus!

Thanks. Your play in valley of the seers was realy excellent. You compltetely fooled me, so I definitely remember it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
I have decided that in all future games I moderate, all seer roles will be given random Night 0 views. Its better that way. It really is.

I have come to think this is necessary too. At least after N0, players have real reasons to view people.

I agree with a lot of these awards. My compliments to everyone as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:
I have decided that in all future games I moderate, all seer roles will be given random Night 0 views. Its better that way. It really is.

I have come to think this is necessary too. At least after N0, players have real reasons to view people.

amen to that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Most Innovative New Game Mechanic: Items, by MDP, in Haunted Village. Abilities that are passable and acquirable! Pretty brilliant. And a lot of work for the mod. They were excellent games, and items have gone on to be used in other games.

A tip of the Helm to the wielder of the Lance cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

I agree with a lot of these awards. My compliments to everyone as well.

A way to get around the metagaming aspect of night 0 is to not have it at all.
If the game has a slightly different aspect on day/night 0 you can completely avoid that.

For example, Bewitched uses Day 0 to bid for potions. You could completely hold off night 0 actions and let the players discuss potion purchases for a day instead. Then when they choose player X, it was because he said something odd about potions.

(Maybe not potions, but you could give them results of SOMETHING to discuss, which is player based, but not metagame-able.)

It's not infallable, but it's a step in the right direction. Most players, I find, only metagame because there's nothing tangible on day 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was really awesome and thoughtful Thanks for including me on your list!!

Xlorp also helped me get my avatar, along with jmilum and melissa, which I appreciate greatly.

I'd also like to thank YOU for introducing me to Werewolf in the first place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
All the people who commented they like my avatar (and some who even have wanted to not kill me early in a game so my avatar doesn’t go away! Never underestimate the power of a good avatar)

This is true. It is hard for me to see Aragorn as evil.

But I think it may have led to a few early wolf attacks because people associate Aragorn as a special good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

blush guilty as charged. blush

Edit: Oh crap. Melissa again. Just impersonating Fraser to make you all wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

amen to that!

I've done this in games and it makes for SUCH a better start. Otherwise as a moderator you have to avoid giving the Wolf role to:

jaredh
dalestephenson
xandryyte
agnespoodle

They're just too frequently the targets of the seer's first view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

This is true. It is hard for me to see Aragorn as evil.

But I think it may have led to a few early wolf attacks because people associate Aragorn as a special good.

Personally, it just encourages me to watch Alexfrog all the more. Aragorn is one tricky bastige. Some people even try to impersonate him, but fortunately Latria is too short to pull that off well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Best Win By A Village: Narnia, modded by Melsana. I mean, the game wasn’t exactly unbalanced. The wolves had incredibly powerful abilities. Including the evil seer that sees one extra person per night than the night before, and looks for good specials. And the evil could win by killing the 4 ‘children’ (good specials). Its just that the village managed to, with only one seer view, correctly pick 4 evil players in 4 days out of a total of 27 people. And there was no full role reveal or anything . There wasn’t much role reveal contributing to it at all.

Thanks for giving me a mention. I have to say, I kind of feel jiped with that game. I put so much effort into creating a game I hoped would be well themed and well balanced and it was over so quickly that it didn't really become as great and fun a game as I had hoped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

Thanks for giving me a mention. I have to say, I kind of feel jiped with that game. I put so much effort into creating a game I hoped would be well themed and well balanced and it was over so quickly that it didn't really become as great and fun a game as I had hoped.

It was really great. We just had rediculous luck. Like, every person we put on the block was evil. Day 3 was it, the two people on the block were Jadis and Fenris, each with a lot of votes, and the other wolf dead already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Melsana wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

It was really great. We just had rediculous luck. Like, every person we put on the block was evil. Day 3 was it, the two people on the block were Jadis and Fenris, each with a lot of votes, and the other wolf dead already.

Yeah, wasn't it kimapesan that had picked out every major evil after the first lynch for completely bogus logical reasons? It was fate that evil lost that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
Yeah, wasn't it kimapesan that had picked out every major evil after the first lynch for completely bogus logical reasons? It was fate that evil lost that game.

I voted for the lynch of all 4 evils, I think I may have been the only one to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't know the half of it.

Greek said you were a child on day 1, but we didn't listen to him, and he was lynched without hardly saying anything. Then we target Edmund N1 and don't get a statue. Then we lose an aux evil day 2 (and it would've been nice if he'd claimed to be a child beforehand).

THEN we latch onto a vote that turns out to be on a child, so the other children end up piling on *me* to get it off. Finally you reveal (basically) and convince all the votes off the child. I'm lynched.

Then you get the already suspect Seanp the next day.

That was hideously frustrating. Moreso even than in either Elysia game (and those were pretty darn frustrating at times).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess I should change great to memorable... the really memorable games are the ones that go to the end, and you still can't figure out the wolves. That one could be considered great, but for the evil... way to frustrating and something they would rather forget than remember. Oh well, I have high hopes for Prince Caspian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
seanp wrote:

I voted for the lynch of all 4 evils, I think I may have been the only one to do so?

Correct. And jmilum correctly guessed the ulterior motives for vote cancellation twice.

A lot of luck went into it, but it was gratifying as a village given how little info some of us had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acekim wrote:
jmilum wrote:
seanp wrote:

Correct. And jmilum correctly guessed the ulterior motives for vote cancellation twice.

A lot of luck went into it, but it was gratifying as a village given how little info some of us had.

Yeah, ever since that game Jmilum has gone into my brain as the master bluffer. He knows when to bluff so that people believe him, and he knows when not to bluff because people wont believe him, and he knows when others are bluffing. When I have played as a wolf against him, I'm terrified of that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
Yeah, I guess I should change great to memorable... the really memorable games are the ones that go to the end, and you still can't figure out the wolves. That one could be considered great, but for the evil... way to frustrating and something they would rather forget than remember. Oh well, I have high hopes for Prince Caspian.

You mean, like.... oh, say, Star Wars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Melsana wrote:

You mean, like.... oh, say, Star Wars?

LOL. Yeah star wars went quite a while.... actually I was personally thinking of Ladies Only 2... that is one of the most memorable games in my mind... Of course I guess it helps that I was one of the final 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.