Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Marriner
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played a great game of Mythos on CCG Workshop yesterday (02/14/2006). I've never actually played Mythos face to face, and I'd only played one other time on CCGW at least a year or two ago. The bulk (three games) of my Mythos experience comes from playing it by email at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cofcmythos

With that out of the way, on to the game. I was playing a deck I'd just built. It's set in the Waking World and the adventures it uses are Brotherhood of the Black Pharaoh and Summon Great Cthulhu. I thought those would be an interesting choice. Desert and Sea. It also had a nice side benefit of being a Middle East deck that doesn't include the Sun Worshipper and/or Seeking Everlasting Life I. Lastly, it works with the standard Mythos point system or Alex Broadhead's Repoint system (which I think is terrific).

My opponent was playing a Dunwich Horror deck with A Day in the Life of a Miskatonic University Student.

I started off really well with some good card draws. My sanity was dropping quite a bit due to some of the requirements for the Brotherhood and my opponent had two pretty sizeable threats in the first two rounds. I was able to hit a Sanitarium and play Brotherhood right after he had played A Day in the Life so I didn't think I was doing too badly (especially since this was the first play for this deck).

My next round's draw was very poor and I had to pass twice early in the round. Luckily my opponent had a tough time with discards so it didn't work out too badly.

On the last round I'd drawn really well. I set down the White Ship on the way to R'lyeh and I had all the cards I needed in my hand to win (about 4). However, on my next turn I put down R'lyeh and my opponent used Yithian Mental Contact which sent R'lyeh to the bottom of my Story Deck! That hurt as R'lyeh is unique and I didn't have a way of getting it back since I'd already played my other adventure.

I had discarded Carter's Clock a couple rounds ago and so I didn't have my only means of getting R'lyeh back. I also couldn't get off the White Ship because I didn't have any other region cards in the deck so we ended the game there in favor of my opponent since nothing I could have done would have won me the game (it was unlikely that I would have driven him insane).

All in all I was pleased with the deck, and needless to say I added a few cards that would help that situation should it arise in the future. Playing at the CCGW was fantastic, too. Everything was very smooth and worked very well. I think Mythos is a terrific CCG, though I'm somewhat biased as I enjoy Lovecraft's stories.

So, who's up for another game of Mythos?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.