Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I'm writing a weekly syndicated newspaper column about boardgames and designer card games called The Game Table. It's aimed at the general public more than gamers, but I've some upcoming columns that may be of interest. The first three installments are available at

http://gametable.blogspot.com/

Feel free to ask your local paper to carry it ;-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool opportunity! First sentence tries to say two things at once, though. "Many love Monopoly but few rarely manage to find the time to play it." Should be "...but few manage to..." I only mention because it is going to print...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks, I've made that correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other (possible) typos:

Fisherman's Warf => Fisherman's Wharf

"Pass" like "Go" but pays $300 => "Pass" is like "Go" but pays $300

Add an action to bid for turn order. =>
Add an auction to bid for turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, nothing like a public forum as an editor. How many papers are carrying it at the moment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice.
I enjoyed the articles.
It's great to see someone getting the word out on the new world of board gaming to the general public.
Would love to see the day when most folks could recognize their "Settlers" from a hole in the ground.
Keep up the great work.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Aak. Too many typos. Thanks, I'll fix those and vow to check more carefully in the future, yikes.

Right now, The Game Table column is in two papers (or their sites), one in Florida and one in Hawaii, so you can say it's available from coast to coast ;-). I contacted just over 1,000 papers and two agreed to carry it. Like many things, I'm sure some editors want to see the column happen every week for a while before they commit to it. When we started Comic Shop News, it was 29 issues before we sold our first ad. In order to get ads we had to prove we were able to get issues out on time without them. The best way to grow something like this is to just do it, so I was happy to declare two papers enough of a toe-hold to start.

I had four prepared already and am trying to stay ahead. Upcoming columns will be about the SdJ Awards, an interview with a creator of Deflexion, Simply Fun Games and childrens games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.