There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this was criticized for not being in a new thread

Jodie Laubenberg, Texas GOP Lawmaker, Suggests Rape Kits Can Give Abortions

Quote:
"In the emergency room they have what’s called rape kits, where a woman can get cleaned out," said state Rep. Jodie Laubenberg (R), sponsor of the controversial SB 5, according to The Associated Press. "The woman had five months to make that decision, at this point we are looking at a baby that is very far along in its development."
That's also some super special word choice. Nothing really supports the integrity of your argument like referring to a rape victim getting an abortion as being "cleaned out". *shudder*

I realize politicians aren't subject matter experts on everything, but when YOU sponsor a bill...I expect more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puzzle Witch
Wales
flag msg tools
This why a lot of people in Britain (at least in my opinion) think that U.S politics (and certain states) are completely insane, and from another dimension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As a liberal living in Texas and born in Texas, I apologize on behalf of us all that use our brains. This does not represent us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the abortion equivalent of the democratic legislator who said that if we ban the manufacture and sale of high capacity magazines the ones already out there will eventually run out of bullets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Well, it could be worse.

She could have thought that products like "Summer's Eve" can also be used to induce abortion.

Ah well. Its not that Texas has the monopoly on crazy in our government; but we're just so much bigger and awesome than the rest of y'all that we've got a wider net to cast into that ocean of crazy (round by Waco, if you're looking for directions) to find politicians to serve in the Legislature.

Perry will call another special session, this bill will be rammed through the Legislature, then a big lawsuit will come up and we'll fight it out in the courts.

Everyone wins! The lawyers get their fees, and voters on both sides of the aisle get the benefits of having crazy politicians! I mean, seriously- this woman is a GODSEND to local Democrats- gives them something to get all excited about when the odds of them blocking ANYTHING is akin to the Cubbies winning the World Series. It's great Television! I mean, Texans deserve FIRST RATE political entertainment!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Spirit Island Fan - FearMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Roger Zelazny fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Great Zimbabwe fan
xilan wrote:
Since this was criticized for not being in a new thread

Jodie Laubenberg, Texas GOP Lawmaker, Suggests Rape Kits Can Give Abortions

Quote:
"In the emergency room they have what’s called rape kits, where a woman can get cleaned out," said state Rep. Jodie Laubenberg (R), sponsor of the controversial SB 5, according to The Associated Press. "The woman had five months to make that decision, at this point we are looking at a baby that is very far along in its development."
That's also some super special word choice. Nothing really supports the integrity of your argument like referring to a rape victim getting an abortion as being "cleaned out". *shudder*

I realize politicians aren't subject matter experts on everything, but when YOU sponsor a bill...I expect more than that.
Actually, she's not referring to the abortion as getting "cleaned out". What she is saying is far, far dumber.

She thinks a rape kit, AKA a sexual assault evidence collection kit, isn't about collecting fluids for DNA testing, etc. but is a way to wash out your hoo-ha so that you don't get pregnant. So, basically, she does thinks that products like Summer's Eve can be used to induce an abortion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
bjlillo wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
PuzzleWitch wrote:
This why a lot of people in Britain (at least in my opinion) think that U.S politics (and certain states) are completely insane, and from another dimension.
Well there's a (well, one) British politician who got laid by an alien. At least we haven't had a US politico claim that yet.
Didn't Kucinich say something like that a few years back?
I dunno, I believe that one.

Have you SEEN his wife? No way any human that looks like that would sleep with him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krakengames wrote:
As a liberal living in Texas and born in Texas, I apologize on behalf of us all that use our brains. This does not represent us!
Maybe you should 'clean out' you legislature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
PuzzleWitch wrote:
Well there's a (well, one) British politician who got laid by an alien. At least we haven't had a US politico claim that yet.
Not nearly on the same level (political) he can help determine where people can park, this woman can pass laws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Microbadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Thumbs up says 'I Love You' in that icky BGG kinda way.Microbadge: Chaotic GoodMicrobadge: I love Europe
slatersteven wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
PuzzleWitch wrote:
Not nearly on the same level (political) he can help determine where people can park, this woman can pass laws.
He is a Councillor... to put that in perspective there are 433 principal authorities in the UK (shorthand councils) which are made up of multiple members.

Councillors handle stuff like planning permission, assorted licences and certain provisions, with a bit of pubic money to direct when it comes to the local area - of which he would likely have only one vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Chad_Ellis wrote:
This is the abortion equivalent of the democratic legislator who said that if we ban the manufacture and sale of high capacity magazines the ones already out there will eventually run out of bullets.
Was that person the Sponsor of a Bill to ban the manufacture high capacity magazines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Also this was a response to the question of how could a women that has been raped get access to an abortion if she is not close to a clinic since if the Bill passes 37 of the 42 clinics will have to shut down. The remaining five will be in the east. Poor women in the west, south and north west of the state will be very far from one of those clinics.

Her response was that they could go to an emergency room and get an abortion via a "rape kit" as it would "clean them out" like a "d & c".

This lady is the Sponsor of the Bill...

The Democratic legislator who said that magazines would run out of bullets was probably not trying to show that gun owners would still be able to maintain the same level of access to something, but the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the weakness of our system of government, unlike the judiciary, there is no comprehensive presentation of evidence to legislative voters (representatives) so they make decisions based on their own level of knowledge, and from the sounds of it it seems they either are unwilling to or unable to properly research an issue before they vote on it or even speak about it. I didn't watch the video or read any transcript, did anyone in the opposition speak to her incorrect understanding of rape kits?

EDIT: I mean, if the bill were on trial and the representatives were the jury, she would have been kicked from the jury during their initial Q/A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Laubenberg wrote:
[I]n hospital emergency rooms, we have funded what’s called rape kits that will help the woman, basically clean her out. And then hopefully that will alleviate that.
dukes wrote:
Representative Laubenberg, you said these ladies would be able to acquire an abortion at one of the emergency rooms?
Quote:
In the emergency room they have what's called rape kits that the woman, she’ll get cleaned out, basically like a D&C, and emergency contraception, where they can also do the morning-after pill.
She has responded to Politifact and walked this back now:

Quote:
By email and telephone, we asked Laubenberg how she reached her conclusion. She didn’t immediately respond. After this article posted, however, Laubenberg said by telephone that she knows a rape kit does not include the D and C procedure and that a kit does not cause abortions. In the floor debate, Laubenberg said, she also was trying to say that a rape survivor who goes to a hospital might be offered the morning-after pill to ward off pregnancy, though she said that she is aware that the pill is not part of a rape kit.

In the debate, Laubenberg said, her point may have been muddled. "You’re trying to get your thoughts out as fast as you can," she said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Was that person the Sponsor of a Bill to ban the manufacture high capacity magazines?
Actually, yes. It was Diana Degette, lead sponsor of exactly such a ban.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe she should stop speaking:

Quote:
The response: Laubenberg told North Texas talk radio host Mark Davis on Tuesday that she was momentarily confused by Democrats’ questions and misspoke. “What I was trying to say is, when a woman goes to the hospital, that they have the procedures there” to help her obtain emergency contraception and other treatment, she said. “No, rape kits do not cause an abortion.” As for the reaction, Laubenberg added: “If that’s the worst that you can complain about me, go ahead.”
Seriously? She has no problem with people complaining she's stupid, is sponsoring a bill involving issues she apparently doesn't understand, and which she admits she was not capable of communicating clearly about? It's her job! She's a failure in her job and the main reason it's going to pass isn't because of her capability so much as the overwhelming superior strength of the agenda to pass that legislation in the state...but she still has no problem with people complaining about that? That's pathetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So wait. The Republicans want to shut down private clinics and push low income ablrtion seekers to hospitals allowing medicaid to pick up the tab, resulting in more government oversight into a private matter and sharing the financial burden across all the taxpayers? I don't know Which of their platform boards they are tearing up the fastest to beat this dead horse with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
People saying stupid things does not make them stupid people.

Remember that time when you said something stupid and didn't really mean it?

Public officials are still people. They also screw up.

Yes it's their job. Remember that time you screwed up at work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Well, she should at least blame it on her coworker like I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:
Well, she should at least blame it on her coworker like I did.
She tried:
Quote:
Laubenberg told North Texas talk radio host Mark Davis on Tuesday that she was momentarily confused by Democrats’ questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

She's not a child. She's a mature aged professional, putting in a terrible performance at her job - and not at all bothered by the criticism of it. There are these things called consequences and accountability, and our professional public representatives don't get exceptions. When someone screws up at their job, they've earned the criticism. It's pathetic that we have such a low expectation of our public representatives that they can be failures in their jobs, and we'll still pay them and make excuses for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
xilan wrote:
Jythier wrote:

She's not a child. She's a mature aged professional, putting in a terrible performance at her job - and not at all bothered by the criticism of it. There are these things called consequences and accountability, and our professional public representatives don't get exceptions. When someone screws up at their job, they've earned the criticism. It's pathetic that we have such a low expectation of our public representatives that they can be failures in their jobs, and we'll still pay them and make excuses for them.
It's not like she wrote a paper with those words in it. She stumbled over words after being asked a question. I don't know what YOU pay your legislature to do, but I pay them to make laws. Debate it a piece of that but she didn't really mean that a rape kit was an aboritificant, and she didn't refer to an abortion as being cleaned out. She switched from subject one to subject two in the middle of her statement. She stumbled over words and it ends up being a very quotable mistake, but it's not her job to avoid mistakes in speech as much as it is to avoid mistakes in legislation and/or understanding of the facts behind legislation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Dana, I'm glad to hear that you haven't stumbled over your words during important times and/or have started answering a question, realized you are answering the wrong question, and changed tacts in the middle of a sentence since you were a kid. I mean, this sort of thing happens to normal fallible people like myself and this woman all the time, but because people voted for her she shouldn't be given any grace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Jythier wrote:
Debate it a piece of that but she didn't really mean that a rape kit was an aboritificant, and she didn't refer to an abortion as being cleaned out. She switched from subject one to subject two in the middle of her statement. She stumbled over words and it ends up being a very quotable mistake, but it's not her job to avoid mistakes in speech as much as it is to avoid mistakes in legislation and/or understanding of the facts behind legislation.
Hmmm. She was asked about it and she repeated it. So she made the same stumble twice? What was she referring to about being "cleaned out"? Rape Kits don't clean anything out. They are not like a "d & c" either. What were the two subjects?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only saw it once. Oh well, I guess she's a moron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |