William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
So the classic TV show, 'Crossfire', is coming back to CNN. Yep, you heard me right- the TV show that was a spike in the heart of the dying corpse that was intelligent political commentary on TV is COMING BACK.

I guess with our fascination with Zombies right now, this makes sense. Because while the Zombies who will star on this tired retread might not want to LITERALLY eat your brain, they are rising up from the political cemetery to eat what little residual intelligence might be in the brains of TV viewers across America.

Quote:
CNN is really truly bringing back the political yelling show Crossfire — and it's going to be even better this time, because it will star Newt Gingrich. Crossfire was cancelled in 2005, not long after The Daily Show's Jon Stewart went on as a guest and shamed Tucker Carlson for "hurting America." The new incarnation will feature a fascinating panel of hosts: Gingrich, conservative columnist S.E. Cupp, former Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter (at right), and Van Jones, who was President Obama's green czar in 2009 before his signature on a 9/11 truther petition was unearthed.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2013/06/crossfire-cn...

Let me get this straight-

We're going to have a 9/11 Truther, a political hack, and Newt? SE Cupp is at least a columnist- the only one who is vaguely close to being a journalist. These are people with agendas, who will do battle on TV for the sake of ratings, not to actually have any sort of dialogue that illuminates the issues of the day. Its news Crack.

Here's Jon Stewart on Crossfire, telling the hosts to just 'Stop'. One wishes they had.

It's not as if Crossfire is totally to blame. For that, we should probably go back to the News Crack that I was addicted to in the 1980s and early 90's, when I was in debate and consuming about 4-6 hours of news a day- The McLaughlin Group.

As Morton Kondracke put it-

Quote:
And then, of course, the show that changed punditry forever and primed us for our future addiction to cable-news know-it-alls. Kondracke said he wasn’t on the pilot but got invited onto the first aired episode, and then the second. “I thought, ‘this isn’t going to last — people shouting and screaming at each other?’”

But it did. “It was the beginning of the end of civil discourse in this country, if not the beginning of the end of Western Civilization,” he said. It also helped him get his calls returned faster.

How about some behind-the-scenes dirt on the show — a little McLaughlin Confidential? Regular panelist Jack Germond used to tell McLaughlin, “You’re an [expletive],” right to his face, Kondracke said, “and McLaughlin would be forced to laugh, because otherwise he’d have to fire him — and he was the most popular person on the show.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/mor...

The thing about this crap is that- at its best- its compelling drama. It just fun to watch witty men and women, who know a lot about politics, fight it out. Its why I like RSP, I think- this forum is like Crossfire but with more intelligent posters.

But no matter how smart the people on the show are- and the regulars, Left and Right, on the McLaughlin Group were very, very very smart- the nature of an argument forum on TV means that its not a replacement for news. And that is why I think that Jon Stewart has a very good point- Crossfire, in the heyday of the 1990's, had become the place where competing talking points battled it out to win in the news cycle- but this didn't help Americans actually understand what the heck was going on.

Infotainment, like Crossfire, is like a Twinkie. They're light fluffy and sweet, but its still junk food. Or Crack.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
well no one would watch twin peaks nowadays cos its not interesting who killed and molested laura palmer theyd only blame her for partying too hard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Its why I like RSP, I think- this forum is like Crossfire but with more intelligent posters.
Don't make me post .gifs to disprove this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Let me get this straight-

We're going to have a 9/11 Truther, a political hack, and Newt?
There's no evidence that Van Jones ever signed the 9/11 Truth petition. He denies it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
He is a Communist though.
Well, he was a communist in his mid-20s. I would call that more naive than stupid. We don't see too many non-naive activists in their mid-20s. That's more the rule than the exception. You ever have any naive ideas in your 20s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
well no one would watch twin peaks nowadays cos its not interesting who killed and molested laura palmer theyd only blame her for partying too hard
Nah, we'd blame Obama

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossfire's coming back? Thanks Obama.

Firefly was cancelled? Thanks Obama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
If I'd know Firefly's cancellation was Obama's fault, I'd have voted for Romney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Jythier wrote:
If I'd know Firefly's cancellation was Obama's fault, I'd have voted for Romney.
We could have swung... 500 thousand or so votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'd known that Firefly's cancellation was Obama's fault, I would have voted for Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I hope Novak is the first guest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If I'd known that Firefly's cancellation was Obama's fault, I would have voted for Obama.
you didnt vote for obama?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
Obama killed Laura Palmer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
I didn't say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
single sentences wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
I didn't say that.
you implied it~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
The contextual nature of language means it's strongly implied in that sentence.
If people with poor reading comprehension jump to conclusions, I take no responsibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Euroncrowseye wrote:
The contextual nature of language means it's strongly implied in that sentence.
If people with poor reading comprehension jump to conclusions, I take no responsibility.
i believe the people with poor writing skills are to blame here - you shouldve written "If I'd known that Firefly's cancellation was Obama's fault, I would have HAD MORE REASON TO vote for Obama."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
you shouldve written "If I'd known that Firefly's cancellation was Obama's fault, I would have HAD MORE REASON TO vote for Obama."
I should not have written that, because it's not what I wanted to say.

If you can't understand what I write, that doesn't bother me. It might even be a plus, have you considered that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
single sentences wrote:
you shouldve written "If I'd known that Firefly's cancellation was Obama's fault, I would have HAD MORE REASON TO vote for Obama."
I should not have written that, because it's not what I wanted to say.

If you can't understand what I write, that doesn't bother me. It might even be a plus, have you considered that?
i just think its funny you are so quick at blaming other people for having problems with reading comprehension although you yourself are prone to writing ambigious sentences~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It's not ambiguous.
what is not ambiguous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David's sentence wasn't ambiguous. It was a simple "If P then Q" sentence, and "P implies Q" says literally one thing -- if P is true then Q must also be true. If P is false then the statement is automatically true, and if Q is true then the statement is also automatically true.

While it's true that it's very common for people to use a sentence like his to imply a change, it's not inherently implied. David could also have said, "If Chad likes pizza I would have voted for Obama," or pretty much any other "If (thing that wouldn't have changed David's vote) I would have voted for Obama."

At most, David's sentence is consistent with him having voted for Romney...but it doesn't imply it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The joke is a lot less funny after picking it apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Yeah, that's just what I was thinking too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
lfisher wrote:
it cant be less than 0 funny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |