United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I need some probability analysis for a game I'm designing. I'm looking for things like what's the chance of a 2 or more card run in a hand of five cards (obviously a 2 or more card flush is 100%!). Although there are four suits, the deck is not a standard playing card deck either as there are more cards in some suits than others, so I need to be able to specify the exact make-up of the deck.
Can anybody suggest some software for this sort of thing? I have access to Excel, but my excel skills are pretty rusty
Cheers,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
You're almost certainly going to need to roll your own solution for this. I have some simple Java code that I put together for a standard deck that implements a Deck class and a Card class. Judging from your comment that your Excel skills are pretty rusty though, I'd imagine you're not a coder. If you can code in Java and want me to send you what I have, let me know, or if not and you're able to easily describe the makeup of the deck and the probabilities you want, I can probably help you with that too. Just send along a Geekmail either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't need software. It's pretty simple to calculate the exact probabilities of these sorts of things by hand. Send me details about the deck contents, and the questions you'd like to know, and I'll see what I can do.

I've done this sort of thing many times in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klausbh
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
You can use the excel function hypgeomdist(A,B,c,d) to do this for you. It tells you the odds of drawing exactly A special cards out of B cards drawn, given c special cards in a deck of d cards. I used to use this sort of thing for tweaking tournament magic decks. Sigh.

-Klaus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a coder (though, sadly, Java is about the one language that I've never used), but a lazy one... so I was looking for an exisiting software solution rather than writing it myself. I seem to remember seeing a shareware program a few years back that did pretty much what I need, but I can't remember what it was called.

I've always found trying to do anything more complicated than add up a column of figures quite counterintuitive in Excel ... thanks for the heads-up on the hypgeomdist function, although I guess I'm going to have to do lots of combinatorial stuff to work out the probabilities of runs, etc.

And many thanks for the offers of help - I may well get back to you if I can't find a program sitting on the net somewhere that will do it all for me

Cheers,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Tom -

Just pulled these items off of the net - don't know if these are what you are looking for, but I will leave you to be the judge.

Calculating Odds (Free Software)

http://www.saliu.com/bbs/messages/266.html

http://members.aol.com/johnp71/javastat.html

Good Luck.....God Bless,

James (nventit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the relevant maths if you want to roll your own code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've learned a lot this evening from reading the excellent probability pages of the Wizard of Odds website, e.g. http://wizardofodds.com/poker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, Wizard of Odds is a good source for general gambling probabilities. For a lot of specific poker ones as well, Mike Caro's site is a good place to look:

http://www.poker1.com/mcu/mculib_odds.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.