Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One nice thing about Hasbro is they keep copies of instructions for all their games, both old and new, online. You can find the complete rules for The Game Of Life: A Jedi’s Path here, under Life, the game of - A Jedi's Path (Star Wars) on Hasbro's website.

This is basically a roll and move board game with a whole pile of extra 3D plastic bits that you need to assemble and attach to the board in various places. Most of these extra monoliths are not needed to play this game; they’re just pretty scenery to set the mood. The one single necessary 3D game bit is the spinner, but unfortunately it simply doesn’t work. It’s almost impossible for anyone, large or small, to actually spin it as it sticks something terrible and often pops right off too! We replace it with a 10 sided dice (d10) for our games.

There are four pawns in this game, each representing a Jedi in training (a Padawan). These Padawans collect four different types of “life skill” tiles instead of money, and they have the option of challenging each other in certain places on the game board, as well as choosing between a longer, regular path or the “dark path”. You must carefully balance your desire to take a shortcut with being able to collect the proper number of skills to pass the various challenges, and collecting too many Dark Side tiles that may limit your choices later on. As well, certain paths require certain skills to venture down them, so your choices expand or contract as you collect your various skills.

Once the game is assembled, you simply spin the spinner (or roll your d10) and move your pawn the number of spaces indicated. You start out with 2 Skill Tiles of your choosing, and choose one of three initial paths (one of three Padawan Clans) with differing lengths. You need to balance your need to amass skills with the desire to finish the game first and being able to claim the end bonus. If you choose the shortest path, you may not get enough of the skills needed to move on in the game. If you take the longest path, others may pass you if the roll of the dice is with them. You cannot change clans once the game has started so choose wisely.

If you reach a red space, you must stop and follow the instructions on that space. There are a lot of red spaces on the board, and these give you the opportunity to draw cards and face challenges, which give you life skills, or get a Jedi Master (who also gives you certain skills), or build your own lightsaber (choose a lightsaber card and its resultant skills). Rolls of the dice (or spins of the spinner) determine success or failure in the challenge. Failing simply means you gain no skills from the encounter.

The Dark Path offers the temptation of easy skills and a shortcut route to finishing the game quicker. However, if you venture down the Dark Path too many times, you can force your Jedi Master to leave you, taking all his extra skills with him. The Dark Path allows you to steal skills from other players, and other such ways of acquiring skills easily, but you also get a Dark Side tile for every turn that you end on a Dark Path space. If you have 3 or more Dark Side tiles you cannot take the trials to become a Jedi at the end of the game.

The first Jedi player to reach the end space and pass the Final Trial gets to add any 6 skills to their winnings. The second Jedi player to do the same gets 3 skills, and the third Jedi player chooses 1 additional skill. Any other Jedi players reaching the end space and passing the Final Trial get nothing extra.

The first Dark Side player to reach the end space becomes a Sith Lord a chooses any 4 skill tiles. Any other Dark Side player doing the same is simply a Sith Lord with no extra bonuses.

If all the players are Jedi Knights, or if all the players are Sith Lords, then the one with the most skills wins the game. If there’s a tie in the number of skills, then players spin for the win.

If some players are Sith Lords and some are Jedi Knights, there’s a final duel between the Jedi players and the Dark Side players. The Dark side player gets to choose which 3 skills to contest with but has to win every single contest. The Jedi player only needs to win one of the three challenges.

This game plays faster than a regular Game Of Life, and there’s more interaction between players. I’m not a Game Of Life fan, but I found this fairly entertaining. It will definitely appeal to the Star Wars crowd and the theme can be felt, it’s not just “pasted on”. It’s fun “customizing” your pawn/Jedi. Good replay value. Fun game for kids or families. Plays nicely enough with just two; even better with more players.

Edit: edited to update rules link for 2008 Hasbro site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A nice, playable, family-fun variant on The Game Of Life
I greatly prefer the original Life. but that's probably because I have good memories of it when i was young.

My wife and I hated this game. It got played once and has sat on our shelf ever since yuk.

But maybe I should try it with my son. He, like his Dad, is a SW nut...

Dang you for making me think about trying this again . I hope it goes better than the last time, because I'm holding you resonsible .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My flatmate hates this as it is not like the original. His son loves it as it has the Star Wars theme. I think it is a clever redevelopment of the Game of Life to integrate the Star Wars theme. The choice of the dark or light side is a nice use of the theme and I actually felt like I had a choice unlike in the original. Whilst I actually prefer the gameplay of this one it does not feel like fun compared to the colourful stupidity of the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yollege wrote:
...snip...
But maybe I should try it with my son. He, like his Dad, is a SW nut...

Dang you for making me think about trying this again . I hope it goes better than the last time, because I'm holding you resonsible .

Oh oh, the pressure is on! I wouldn't have revisited this game, myself, if it had not been for "flu month" in our neighborhood. Several of the neighborhood moms have been ringing my doorbell off the hook, wanting to borrow this game for their home-sick, Star-Wars-crazy sons. It's seen a lot of gameplay recently, with a lot of positive feedback, so I gave it another whirl myself and found it fun enough for a themed roll-and-move, when played with the right group of gamers (ie. those Star-Wars-happy younger family members!) Their enthusiasm is contagious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
The one single necessary 3D game bit is the spinner, but unfortunately it simply doesn’t work. It’s almost impossible for anyone, large or small, to actually spin it as it sticks something terrible and often pops right off too! We replace it with a 10 sided dice (d10) for our games.

My copy of the original was like this, as I assume all Game of Life spinners are. Take off the spinner and put some oil underneath. My dear mother took a liquid Vitamen E pill, poked a pin in it and squeezed some out onto the surface under the spinner -- spun smooth as silk and stayed that way for as long as I owned the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
...snip...Take off the spinner and put some oil underneath. ...snip...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I never would've thought oiling a plastic part would help, and now I'll be sure to give it a try!

There are two other smaller points I forgot to mention in my review. One is that when playing this game with younger Star Wars fanatics, the pawn selection is often found lacking as there just isn't the "right" character mix available. We fixed this at our house by either offering plastic Star Wars pawns from various action sets, or simply printing some character pictures on card stock and using those. For one game we had young Anakin versus teen Anakin versus old, post-Vader Anakin. Guess what? Anakin won!

Along those same lines, there is often the wish among younger players for Yoda to be their Jedi Master. A Jedi Master card is luck of the draw, and Yoda can't be everyone's Jedi Master, so we use this situation as a teaching opportunity. Anakin didn't complain that Yoda wan't his Jedi Master, after all! We get to talk about the entire Jedi Council and all the individual Jedi Masters and their strengths and weaknesses, and about what it means to be a Jedi, about sportsmanship, acceptance, etc.

May the Force be with all you Jedi's Path gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam J
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Does anyone know where to get the game? I asked Hasbro about it and they said they are not the makers of the game and they have no info on it. I have looked on the web but haven't found any place where one can buy it - I only find comments *about* it. Anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn Rients
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Found this at a garage sale yesterday for a whopping 50 cents. It was complete, like new actually, with just one problem - no rules. The hasbro link is no longer operational, so I guess we'll read the reviews and wing it. My 6-year old could care less if we play it the right way anyway; it's Star Wars, for crying out loud - we can make up our own rules, right?

Oh, and Vaseline is the best thing I've found for these spinners. We used to have to "lube up" the spinner on our Life game when I was a kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerChick wrote:
The hasbro link is no longer operational, so I guess we'll read the reviews and wing it.

I've updated the link for Hasbro's 2008 website, so it works again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Velonis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Mmm... humans...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link! We also acquired a rules-less copy at a tag sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jogador1 wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the game?

I'm pretty sure this game is out of print. Try eBay, the BGG marketplace, or the BGG trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.