Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best vs. your best! Which is your champion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I haven't played a solo game that beats Mage Knight, which also plays more, so that wins for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utopia Engine is a pretty good single-player game. I haven't found a game designed for multiple players that has a single-player variant I enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My go to solo game right now is Friday, so I'll have to vote for "single player game". Really want to try out Mage Knight Board Game, that game might change my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:

OP you should give your own champion as an example.. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Single Player Game: Fields of Fire
Best Single Player Variant: Mage Knight Board Game

This really is a tough topic for me, as 90% of my games are either solitaire designs, or with variants. It comes down to my mood which I like more though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite single player variant is Sentinels of the Multiverse. I do not believe I own any actual single player games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Best solo game: Onirim (I know it can play 2, but it's basically a solo game)

Best game played solo: Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game or Mage Knight Board Game. Mage Knight surely is deeper, but Death Angel has the setup and length going for it, and it doesn't hurt my brain. Both are insanely fun for different reasons...anyway, this is all tangential...

I pick Death Angel. Onirim is a great game, there's just not much meat to it. SO much comes in the small box of Death Angel. The decision making on whether to support, move, or attack is the best part of the game, and then watching as all of your best laid plans are wiped away by the terrible die rolling comes in at a close second. The game is just so awesome.

That being said, I'd still also pick Mage Knight over Onirim as well. What a fantastic game this is. The setup is a bear, but once you get going, you forget all about it. I'm always completely immersed in the game, and love destroying mage towers, exploring dungeons, and managing my hand, which I never seem to have enough cards to get done what I want! Great game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I prefer soloing multi-player games.

Games (or variants) designed for solo almost always leave me cold.

That said, I'd stack Ambush! up against most experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Maximuss wrote:

OP you should give your own champion as an example.. shake

Ok...So my best Single Player Game is Friday VS. my best game with a single player varient is Ascension: Storm of Souls...and the winner is...Ascension: Storm of Souls!

Hey, I might be a bit of a Board Game Geek, but I'm not a computer geek at all...so how do you link the games mentioned and make them clickable through to the game's page?

Also, what does "enable public dice rolls" mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hey, I might be a bit of a Board Game Geek, but I'm not a computer geek at all...so how do you link the games mentioned and make them clickable through to the game's page?

When typing up your post there should be a dropdown that says "Insert Geek Link". Select boardgame in the dropdown, then in the top box type the name of the game your looking for. It'll give you a list of games that contains what you typed. Select the one you want then hit ok. It'll insert what is needed to link to a game.

Quote:
Also, what does "enable public dice rolls" mean?

I'm not sure either. Never quite figured that part out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I play solo a lot, this is really hard!

My fave single player game is Friday. I also like Onirim a lot.

My fave solo variant is Mage Knight, with Death Angel close behind. Castle Panic gets an honourable mention. I go through phases of being addicted to beating my times in Rallyman too. Space Alert gets better every time I play solo.

I also think there's a third category we could consider... Games without an official solo variant that can be played solo. In this category I like Pandemic and FlashPoint.

My champion would be Mage Knight. Such a great solo game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have 1 solo game (newish board gamer here) and it happens to be my go-to game at the moment: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

I would love to try Mage Knight with all the positive reviews it's getting, but the reported 4+ hour sessions is the big turnoff. I can barely manage 1-hour game sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite solo game is Zulus on the Ramparts!

My favorite solo variant is ... actually I'm not sure. I don't tend to play a lot of solo games. And especially not solo variants of multiplayer games. Usually the solo variant just changes things too much. I've played multiplayer Mage Knight and enjoyed it, but I don't own the game and so have never played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent topic.

My best solo game...Dawn of the Zeds (First edition).

Best variant...Sentinels of the Multiverse easily. I used to own Mage Knight and played solo a handful of times. It got to be too much of a time sink and leaving a game out isnt really an option in my house. That being said, I have almost repurchased it twice since I sold it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago is my favourite, but Mage Knight Board Game, Agricola and Le Havre are all very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.