Mike Slabon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ding & Dent PodcastMicrobadge: City of Remnants fanMicrobadge: Waste Knights fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Unicornus Knights fan
My first experience with Ancient Ones came to me courtesy of a boxed game, known as, “Elder Sign”. Whilst atmospheric and thematic, the erroneous rulebook, made the experience less than enjoyable, at first. However, I persevered, and as luck would have it, the revelation of a Revised Rulebook vastly improved my invetigative technique. I pursued the Ancient Ones tirelessly, taking every opportunity I could to delve into their insidious realm. Then, one day, while perusing the shelves of my local FLGS, a package did arrive. The clerk kindly revealed the contents to me: an expansion to “Elder Sign”, titled, “Unseen Forces”. Without hesitation, I purchased the expansion and returned home post-haste. In the comfort of my parlour, safe from dark and thunderous skies, I set the box on the floor. Slowly, I removed the box lid. Setting it aside, I cautiosuly examined the contents within, and exposed myself to the lurking horrors which awaited me…

New Dice

Unseen Forces offers new dice: the Blessed and the Cursed. Both dice feature the same faces as the green dice. The Blessed dice provides the same effect as having an extra green dice: it is used to complete a task, and is lost if the investigator becomes Cursed, loses an adventure, or if the Ancient One awakens. The Cursed has a less than favourable effeft: when rolled, if the Cursed dice matches a green dice, you must discard both. The Cursed dice is lost if the investigator becomes Blessed, successfully completes an adventure, or the Ancient One awakens.

New Entrance(s)

The newly renovated museum entrance now provides 4 points of interest: Lost & Found, Souvenir Shop, First Aid and The Chapel. The first three entrances act in the same way as in the original game, except one can no longer spend ten trophies to purchase an Elder sign. As for the Chapel, eight trophies can be spent to “bless” one investigator. New adventure effects also cause these entrances to “close”, whereby the card is turned over and not available for use. This added functionality is most logical, considering the staff at the museum are already kind enough to work twenty four hours a day to accomodate a group of demon hunters. I imagine this is a welcome relief for the poor souls, especially with the ever-looming potential of all hell breaking loose on their place of employment.

New Investigators

The new investigators are a charming and talented lot, each with a unique ability, such as: ability to increase a trophy value by one when spent; ability to gain a clue token when a monster is defeated; ability to spend a clue token to skip the revealed mythos card (once per day), and ability to focus and assist, even if the task is successfully completed. Despite the different abilities, and varying degrees of mental affinity and physical prowess, I am happy to report that ALL new investigators possess an equal opportunity to be devoured.

New Ancient Ones

An Ancient One who demands sacrifice of an Ally (when attacking) or an Investigator is devoured, and THREE doom tokens are added to the doom track? Or an Ancient One who forces you to discard failed adventures without replacing them only to instantly devour all investigators when there are no more adventures on the table? I daresay, I need not go into detail regarding the other Ancient Ones contained within this box, for surely, you are already in a state of fear and terror, and I should not want to trouble your mind any further.

New Contents

However does such a small box hold such vast content: Mythos cards with the option for the party to choose whether they face the nasty “daytime” effect, or the nasty “when the clock strikes midnight” effect, spells, items, adventure cards with curses, blessings, museum entrance altering effects, the ability to hold-fast dice, and advance time, and… Allies! Having heard our plight, new allies come to our aid. Readily available, these brave souls offer unique abilities in the battle against the Ancient Ones.

Same old, same old!

Alas, with all these newly bestowed riches, how does the adventure now fare? A most forlorn undertaking, it has become. To think "Elder Sign" difficult is mere foolishness now that "Unseen Forces" has been unboxed. Never before has a greater sense of peril been instilled on the gaming group. In our first session, we are all quite pleased to have gotten ten of the required twelve Elder signs. With the light of day fast approaching, in the shadowy stillness of the museum, over-confidence remained as our only enemy. Within three game turns, however, the Ancient One grew most powerful, cursing two investigators. Our red, yellow, and one green dice were suddenly held-fast by a combination of failed adventures and horrible monsters. Two investigators perished, in a most noble, yet positively, dreadful attempt to solve an adventure, adding enough doom tokens, and thereby, awakening the Ancient One. The last of party, unable to sacrifice an ally in a manner most pleasing, was quickly devoured.

Thus, I have recounted my experiences with the “Unseen Forces” expansion. Every attempt to quell demonic entities has resulted in an endeavor most treacherous, most desperate, most… foul. And yet, I am left feeling… exhilarated, filled with a youthful exuberance and excitement. Were I to place my level of enjoyment on a scale of one to ten, surely, it would rate a ten.

I now endure many a sleepless night, whilst the pangs of demon hunting gnaw at my restless bones. Outside of the mueseum, the world seems vapid, and bleak. I am not the man I once was who played "Elder Sign" with such joy. I must now play it with the "Unseen Forces" expansion. Thusly, I succumb to my fate with every dice roll. So be it, should my mind be submerged in pools of madness, or my flesh rended by the most cruel of punishments. So be it, as I strive to grant the Ancient Ones eternal slumber.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Microbadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Variant DesignerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: DIY Expansion DesignerMicrobadge: Appreciate the little things in life
Quite an enjoyable read... thumbsup ...and a useful review of the components of the Unseen Forces expansion. But, according to your BGG profile, you don't own Elder Sign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia fanMicrobadge: Ortus Regni fanMicrobadge: Troyes fan
Jude wrote:
Quite an enjoyable read... thumbsup ...and a useful review of the components of the Unseen Forces expansion. But, according to your BGG profile, you don't own Elder Sign!
Don't believe eveything you read ! Bwah hah ha devil

But I know. "It was on the Internet."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Slabon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ding & Dent PodcastMicrobadge: City of Remnants fanMicrobadge: Waste Knights fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Unicornus Knights fan
Jude wrote:
Quite an enjoyable read... :thumbsup: ...and a useful review of the components of the Unseen Forces expansion. But, according to your BGG profile, you don't own Elder Sign!
My profile is now up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones - Only the best!Microbadge: Mistborn fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fan
Excellent! Both in writing and usefulness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Belmer
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: Geekway to the West attendeeMicrobadge: The Sandman fan
I'm in the middle of reading lovecraft's The Complete Fiction. Reading your review felt just like reading one of his short stories, well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Fabkok wrote:

The newly renovated museum entrance now provides 4 points of interest: Lost & Found, Souvenir Shop, First Aid and The Chapel. The first three entrances act in the same way as in the original game, except one can no longer spend ten trophies to purchase an Elder sign.
I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the Souvenir Shop and the Lost & Found have been made more useful. You can buy two items at once in the ship, instead of just one and if you are feeling lucky you can roll for a random item up to three times in a single visit to the Lost & Found.

These changes are an important part of the expansion as it often felt like visiting one was a waste of a precious action in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Apart from that, an awesome review. Very entertaining to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 06 BGG posterMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Brass: Birmingham fanMicrobadge: Fields of Fire fanMicrobadge: Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-? fan
Quote:
This added functionality is most logical, considering the staff at the museum are already kind enough to work twenty four hours a day to accomodate a group of demon hunters. I imagine this is a welcome relief for the poor souls, especially with the ever-looming potential of all hell breaking loose on their place of employment.
I LOLed, at my own place of employment. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls