8 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reveal or do "X" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cooley
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been brought up before, but could not find this specific reference. (and I am horrible at searching forums)

When a card says to reveal an "X" hero or do "Y"..do you have to reveal that card if it is in your hand, or can you choose not to reveal the card and do "Y".

I ask only since the wording does NOT say "You MAY reveal "X" or do "Y"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always read it as it is something you can do, but not as something you have to do. There are times when it will be beneficial to take the Y effect and so you don't reveal the card asked for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to reveal a card if you do not want to. That is even true if the card lies open before you because you played it already.

Reference (and yes, I just went hunting for a Devin post only to find that the answer is in the rulebook... d'oh! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also agree. Sometimes its better to take a would than reveal a card that might be really useful on the next turn but would be useless if other players knew it was in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly convoluted case that came up in a game I played, but which I think is legal:

Sabertooth (reveal an X hero or take a wound) is on the board. I have Mental Discipline (an X hero) and Diving Block (if you would take a wound, reveal this to draw a card instead) in hand.

Can I beat Sabertooth, choose not to reveal Mental Discipline so as to take the wound, and then reveal Diving Block in order to draw a card instead of gaining the wound?

I think this works but it's my first time playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Slightly convoluted case that came up in a game I played, but which I think is legal:

Sabertooth (reveal an X hero or take a wound) is on the board. I have Mental Discipline (an X hero) and Diving Block (if you would take a wound, reveal this to draw a card instead) in hand.

Can I beat Sabertooth, choose not to reveal Mental Discipline so as to take the wound, and then reveal Diving Block in order to draw a card instead of gaining the wound?

Yes, you can do that. You don't have to reveal a card if you don't want to, if you have a plan that will benefit you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:

Yes you can. You are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, it works. As said before, you do not have to reveal, so that triggers the effect of "gain a wound", which in turn allows you to use Cap's ability. Definitely what you should do in that situation unless you also have a Hulk to power up in your hand

Edit: ninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.