Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play test this tonight. Looked through the various 2-player offerings in this forum and have seen several more complicated ideas that do similar things, but so far I think this is still unique.

1. Setup using the 4+ cards (as if for a 4-player game)
2. Both players play two wonders
3. Boards alternate so both your neighbors are your opponent
4. Then play as you normally would (EASY!)

-----P1_1

P2_1-----P2_2

-----P1_2

Using this setup, neither player is able to directly feed good cards from previous hands directly to his other wonder, or otherwise game the system in terms of military conflicts, guilds, etc.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having to play two wonders opposite each other is a big issue, I think. It sounds great on paper, but in practice, I think it'd be very cumbersome.

I'd personally consider using the official team game rules, with 4 players. It doesn't really need Cities to work. Alternatively, use the free city variant. It's a fine variant, seriously, I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 2 player variant, my wife does not. so we play 2 boards with the team rules and it works really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play tested this tonight with my wife, and Martin was right. It was really cumbersome. It took a lot of the fun out of the game. We talked about what we didn't like afterwards.

First, even with using the smaller cards used to pick your wonder to represent the play order, we were constantly asking, "Are we passing the cards clockwise or counterclockwise?" Then we'd still mess up and give the wrong pack of cards to the wrong wonder every now and then.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1704180/7-wonders

Second, with two wonders side-by-side to play, we both found ourselves focusing on what we were going to do next, not what we were currently doing. In general, we spent a lot more time paying attention to the two wonders in front of us, instead of our (normally) single wonder, and our two neighbors.

Lastly, with so much fiddling between both wonders and keeping track of both sets of cards, it really made a normally fun game (we usually play with 4 or 5 players) into a strange version of "double solitaire".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1704179/7-wonders

We love playing this game, and I thought I had a good solution for a two-player variant. But in the end, it wasn't fun and felt more like work than a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(As a side note, our point totals were consistently off by about 20 points as well. So we spent a lot more time screwing around with the components and must have played sub-optimally as well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Free City variant next, I'd say. It's big issue is that the player with the Free City typically spends a lot longer on his choice than the other player, but it's good asides from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls