Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find bootleggers especially hard to recount in any official way. I encounter two major problems when trying to work up to write a session report for the game. 1) While jotting notes it's extremely easy to miss an important deal or negotiation foray. 2) The other players were extremely suspicious of my writing anything down during the match, on the charge that I was recording what cards people had, how much money, etc.

Now before you have a chance to berate the players for their obvious mistrust of me. I, in all honesty, have on numerous occasions been accused of playing this game very "dirty." This includes backing out on deals, demanding more payment to uphold prior deals, using extortion tactics relating to: influence counters, thugs, improvement markers and dice, truck availability, and knowledge of players' monetary situations. So while two of the players were new (Matt and Amy) and had no idea what was going to happen, the other two (Kira and Jerre) were convinced that I was going to abuse the note-taking. While I would never knowingly cheat, I would be hard pressed to actively ignore the information I was collecting so I don't have much in the detail about this particular session. I am, furthermore convinced that there's no chance I'll get anyone to let me take notes for any further sessions, so I'll push on with what I've got.

1) this game was played with 5 players with the lowly tan colored pieces being left (as usual) in the box. Kira and I are both old hats at this, Jerre has played a couple of games and Matt and Amy were brand new.

The first portion of the game went pretty standard for bootlegger familiars, with a lot of loud negotiations and attempted partnering as well as BarleyCorn's being opened on the first turn (at my insistence). Nobody had a clear majority at BarleyCorn’s, but with several turn’s maneuvering, Kira took control and Jerre and I decided to joint open Mother’s to gain an advantage. One most notable aspect about the first four turns was that Matt refused to play anything. He steadfastly held all of his accumulated influence, improvements, and dice while people tried desperately to purchase or negotiate the use of his assets, all to no avail.

Once the first third of the game was complete, Kira and I were both at a distinct lead with roughly 70gs apiece, while the rest of the players hovered around 30gs. Amy ended up with the loser’s advantage and also ended up with the ability to purchase influence as well. She was all for utilizing everyone’s combined influence to open the Real McCoy (which I was all for, anything to draw business away from Kira’s near total monopoly of BarleyCorn’s) but Matt refused to cooperate, insisting that it would somehow help me (he decided that I was a big threat early in the game and spent the rest of it trying to convince everyone else of this fact) and Used his influence to fill Texas Lil’s. This left Amy in a pickle and she used her influence and Thugs to knock me down at Mother’s, but failing to take-over, no-one made profits and people now vied for majority player there.

With little ability to make profit and continue to finance my growing empire, I resorted to extortion tactics and managed to gain a foothold at BarleyCorn’s where I was stuck the rest of the game trying to wrest control from Kira. Other players were less than cooperative with this goal, because of Matt’s ranting, while he found out that Lil’s wasn’t up to making him any money and Amy and Jerre made decent cash at Mother’s and I kept haranguing Kira for Barley’s.

By the second third of the game, I had managed to extort a great deal of money from the rest of the players and ended up with roughly 90gs. Kira was neck and neck with me, ‘cause everyone kept selling at Barley’s and Matt was screeching to stop selling there and kill me off too (‘course everyone pointed out that we’d’ve had a lot more variety if he’d not blocked McCoy’s)

I was heavy on production and Matt kept getting pinched by the Fuzz, while Jerre couldn’t get any profits anywhere and was barely making ends meet. Amy seemed to have peaked and, while she was still making lot’s of whiskey, ran into serious transportation problems and sold most of her crates to Matt and I. Kira, was prevented from making money by several thug cards thrown by several players and I had to sell at Mother’s to keep Kira from going over.

Then in turn 10, Jerre committed Hari Kiri, convinced the flying thugs would keep Kira from profiting, decided to sell all his crates at Barley’s. To everyone’s groan, his final plan was to use the Moll and roll her down under 100g. Needless to say, it failed miserably.

Kira took the win with 105g, I trailed closely with 98g and the rest hovered around 50g-70g. Jerre was completely unapologetic about blowing the game on the front that “I needed to sell some shit fast” and Matt, realizing that he made a drastic mistake, sputtered about how he didn’t want to give anyone control at the big bar, while complaining at how poorly Lil’s worked out for him. It was the first game I’d lost in quite awhile and may well have been Kira’s first (her second came two hours later when she one the second game too, but that’s another story). It was a great game (I’ve yet to have a game that wasn’t fun). Not very many fights, except people kept telling Matt to quit trying to predict the game out loud to the other players. His unusual tactic of holding his assets really threw the rest of us off and could’ve been a winning strategy. I’ll have to try it myself. And that’s the take home message here: I’ve yet to play a game where some new tactic hasn’t cropped up. Every game is fresh and exciting and I find that even when I lose, I’m pleased with the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game too. After about 6 plays, it has never worked out the same. I am, however, very careful when I play with my sister & wife. See the section on questions for clarification of my problems there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah,

This game has gotten people a little worked up from time to time. But sofar I've yet see anybody have bad feeling last much longer than the end of the game, or at least, the end of the next game at any rate. I like that though, because you finally get to see those dishrag friends of yours show a little deviousness and backbone.

Sorry 'bout your lady-troubles, but remember: in a room full of women, you'll always have the biggest ballz. So wear 'em proudly, even if you do get them handed to you in the end.

Dengue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Timing on when to place influence is a pretty big strategic decision. One of the most interesting games I played was when everyone held all their influence until the late in the game.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He was holding his dice and improvements? I thought those had to be played immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still (dice) and speakeasy improvements can be held in the back room just like influence.

I was demoing at a FLGS in Port Huron and I think everyone had 6-8 influence by mid-game and no one had opened a speakeasy. The last couple of rounds were a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.