Popular Tags: [View All]
Math and Games With Margaret
United States
Ventura
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not play tested this yet, but I figured with all the versatility that is in Ars Victor already that it might be possible to tweak the game a little to create a 3 player version.

The idea I had was that the third player should be the mercenary or rebel group that has always been on the fringe of the civilization anyway. Before the epic battle between whoever the Attacker and Defender are there were always these disorganized faction or mercenaries out for both parties.

Since they are just a disorganized group, it is hard to give them commands. Also,none of them really have a leader. So, no banner, and no HQ for the mercenaries.

Also, The starting areas for Attacker(A) Defender(D) and Mercenary (M) are much smaller so, only 3 units in the Vanguard.

Starting set up and where everyone's starting areas are in the picture below.

Notice the Mercenaries start closest to 1 of the cp but are 6 and 9 minimum from the other two. I figured this would balance with their ability to be moved by any command card at off suit.

All you need to play this is a way to keep track of your third person's glory and another deck of normal playing cards.

I was thinking turn order should be M, A, D. But I am not sure if this is balanced badly. Anyway... just a thought. I hope people have some constructive critisism for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno to me that board looks a little unbalanced but you'd have to try it out some to see how it went in a real game.

I imagine the style you are trying to go for will work a lot better in a full triangle shape with the extra tile expansion (or 2 base games) then you can simply make a triangle and put the capture points in the middle areas equal distance from everyone.

As for how a 3 player game would go i imagine people would die a lot more as a weakened person can now be picked off before your turn comes around again so you might have to give people more glory to start the game with as my first idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Math and Games With Margaret
United States
Ventura
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolio wrote:

I imagine the style you are trying to go for will work a lot better in a full triangle shape with the extra tile expansion (or 2 base games) then you can simply make a triangle and put the capture points in the middle areas equal distance from everyone.
I do think the attackers have a lot of advantage in this set up and Byron was trying to help me fix it.
You are so right, though equilateral triangle would still have some too close to starting position places. I originally thought of something more like :

Which has a lot of balance though the mercenaries are still pretty far from the middle point. I try to work with existing materials and I had to use 8 small tiles to make it. Now you could change the starting position at the "top" for the mercenaries to be two large tiles and the "bottom" To be a large-small-large, but you still would not be able to build it with one set.

Tolio wrote:
As for how a 3 player game would go i imagine people would die a lot more as a weakened person can now be picked off before your turn comes around again so you might have to give people more glory to start the game with as my first idea.
I completely agree, I was talking with Byron about it and any set up like this will be pretty violent. I don't know if you would need to change glory, but it might make the game a little scarier/brutal. In fact the first save I made for this idea was called 3 player Quick and Dirty Ars Victor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls