GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,528 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discards; entraining; replacements; armor bonus. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I are on turn 4 of our first campaign game, and we're loving it so far. We do have a few newb questions, most of which are pretty obvious, but we want to be sure. I did spend a fair bit of time searching this forum for answers, and I've read the errata and living rules.

1. At the start of the grand campaign, the Russians have zero cards during the German turn. At the start of the Russian turn, the Sovs draw four cards, for a hand total of four that first turn, yes?

2. The rules say to "discard down to two" cards. But we often find ourselves with no cards to discard. There's no hand minimum, right? If we use all our cards, we draw four at the start of our turn, giving us four cards in hand. Right?

3. One can entrain even if in an any enemy ZOC, yes? The rulebook mentions doing this for sea evac; I assume one can do the same from a city, as long as the unit and city is in supply. Right?

4. In fact, it seems one can entrain from any hex on the map, as long as you're in supply. Right?

5. My son, the Russian player, has repeatedly had trouble placing reinforcements and replacements. He'll garrison most of his cities, and then realize he's blocked new units from arriving there because of the Soviet stacking limit. One example was Sevastopol: neither of us realized he'd be receiving a free fort there (though I should've guessed as much), so he put a unit there, and then he had to place the fort elsewhere. (I just let him exchange the two units as it was as much my fault as is.) Anyway, I guess the lesson is: move units just outside cities to make room for reinforcements/replacements? Because otherwise units are eliminated for overstacking at the end of the organization phase, yes?

6. Armor bonus still applies in counterattacks and counterblows, unless negated by terrain, if an armored unit is doing the attacking. Right?

7. Is there a list of frequently-missed rules somewhere?

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I've played, so the detailed answers are not fresh in my mind for most of your questions, except:

Grotius wrote:
7. Is there a list of frequently-missed rules somewhere?

Yes; there is a very long list, in fact:
http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/746924/no-retreat-the-russian...
whistle

(Seriously, searching the rules forum often reveals answers to these common questions. Also, be sure you are using the downloaded PDF of the rules, which has many corrections and updates, instead of just the printed rules which came with the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easier to post repeats of questions already asked and answered than to spend 10 minutes using the search function, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
It is easier to post repeats of questions already asked and answered than to spend 10 minutes using the search function, isn't it?

And it's easier to be snarky than to read his post and see that he did spend time searching for answers on the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1- YES

2- RIGHT

3- RIGHT

4- RIGHT

5- YES. but units are not fully eliminated by overstaking. They are "shattered" so will come back free next turn.

6- RIGHT

7- Already answered by another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6. Weather can impact the armor bonus as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
sduke wrote:

And it's easier to be snarky than to read his post and see that he did spend time searching for answers on the forums.

And it's easy to be snarky to my being snarky on here, big fella...

It was early, I hadn't had my first coffee. My bad...snore

Thanks, Carl, responsive as ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
And it's easy to be snarky to my being snarky on here, big fella...

Let's agree that snark is easy! [armpunch]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, folks. Yes, as my original post indicates, I did search the forums, and in fact I read through many of the rules threads before posting -- they answered another dozen questions or so.

Anyway, I'm glad I was right about all that (thanks for the clarification about shattering after overstacking). Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.