GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,641 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need help defining mechanic. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello everyone. I have recently come across a game that uses an interesting way of dealing with time and I'm trying to add a dexterity mechanic to it. But first I need help figuring out what this way of dealing with time is called.
The players have player boards with slots numbered 1-12 and a deck of cards with actions, the cards are numbered anywhere from 1-12. Every turn a player may place a card on its corresponding slot on the player board. Once all players are done the cards slide down in number by 1 slot. And the actions that hit the "0" slot are played. Players then place a new action if they choose. (I hope that explains it)

So I have 2 questions for you folk, one, what is this mechanic called?( if it is indeed a mechanic). And how could a dexterity or accuracy mechanic be added to this way of dealing with time?

Thank you all so much! Oh and I am very interested in learning more about mechanics in games, so if you have any resources I would love to read/view them! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Japan
Fujisawa
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call it a "scheduler", but this might be my IT hat, not my gamer hat speaking ! (Although, technically, hats don't speak)

Adding dexterity to such a system sounds odd to me, but I have to admit games involving dexterity are not my favourite (there is something sinister* about them)

If the goal is to have your cards played faster, some kind of board with a target could be good : get a token as close as possible to the centre to get your card(s) to move faster.

* Well. If you get that, you might need as much help as I do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like standard initiative procedure.

It is often dexterity or speed defined. Faster characters act sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depending on theme/usage, I've seen that called:

cool-down - minimum amount of time between consecutive use of the same action

charge-up - an action requires a minimum amount of resources prior to activation ... and sometimes, additional resources may be expended to power it up for more effect

weapon/action speed - in an old version of AD&D, this was part of initiative. If I remember right, you roll d20, and then add your weapon speed. lower numbers are better. The DM then starts counting from 1 and proceeds up. When your number (total d20+speed) is called, your action takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If its a power with a cool down phase or a charge up phase then either term works depending on which it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Timeline...
Action queue...
Schedule or scheduler... (cron?)

Questions-- once an action is on the schedule, can the player (or other players) do anything to affect it-- bump it up, delay it, or remove it from the schedule? Once the action reaches 0, does the player HAVE to commit the action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card mechanic strikes me as essentially Hand Management, with each player having two hands to manage- the cards in hand and the countdown board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
To answer a few questions.
Once a action is on the timeline it can not be effected by players.
And the dexterity should work it's self into the timeline.

Thank you all, the more info the better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.