BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game with RPG elements that a youngish child can play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan McCourt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey there,

Been trying to find a game that meets the following criteria, drawn a blank so am now turning here for help

My 11yr old daughter has become interested in the games me and my gf play, so at weekends when she is here thats all we do. Mechanics wise she picks up on everything very quickly and has enjoyed games from King of Tokyo to Ark Horror.

Now I am trying to find a RPG style game, the goal being that when she is at her mums she can be thinking about how she wants her character to level.

So yea, I'm after the following

A game with a campaign option
A game where the same character is used and levels up between sessions
Not to mechanic heavy (Descent seems daunting to her, local shop had it set up, she was interested but put off by everything that was going on).

So far I have looked at the DnD base game, it seems far to RPG heavy for her though, am looking for something as a gateway into that aspect of gaming. Descent has been mentioned before, Warhammer Quest is far to expensive (and I wish I could find my old copy).

Any thoughts?

Mice and Mystics look interesting, not sure it fits my criteria though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics could work.

Don't think it has a campaign option, though.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Legends of Andor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan McCourt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee
Looks wise it seems perfect for her, I want the campaign option to try and spark her imagination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure you will find much of that, unless you go into actual RPGs (there are very simple ones out there).

Even Descent does not have a whole lot to decide on in-between games (it's mostly keep your character and stuff from one game to the next).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan McCourt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
eximeno wrote:
Perhaps Legends of Andor.

Looks good, am checking it now, thanks man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that there's something resembling a campaign option with the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games games (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, that unpronounceable drow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee
I have not played it yet but I am fairly sure that campaign is the only option for Mice and Mystics. The campaign book is called "Storybook" and the missions/adventures are called "Chapters".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan McCourt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanee wrote:
I'm not sure you will find much of that, unless you go into actual RPGs (there are very simple ones out there).

Even Descent does not have a whole lot to decide on in-between games (it's mostly keep your character and stuff from one game to the next).

Bye
Thanee
Hmmmm, the only thing keeping me away from normal RPG is my daughts attention span and confidence with something like this. Figuring if I can find a game that incorporates it I can try and ease her into it.

Cheers for the advise, everything helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Bye
Thanee
I have not played it yet but I am fairly sure that campaign is the only option for Mice and Mystics. The campaign book is called "Storybook" and the missions/adventures are called "Chapters".
I play it with my daughter. You are right. There are 10 chapters that can and really should be played as a campaign.

At the same time you can choose any chapter and play through it as a single session if you want. Or just throw down a bunch of tiles and play. It all works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
+1 for Mice and Mystics.

It does have a campaign option though. The game is designed as a series of linked, related adventures with the same characters. The characters DO gain abilities, but it happens in-session - not between. So perhaps that will be hard for the 'think about leveling up' feeling you are looking for.

Another option is the soon to be released (hopefully) Storm Hollow: A Storyboard Game. This is VERY RPG heavy in feel. It may be aimed at a younger crowd than your 11 y.o. And, sadly, it isn't released yet.

If the pure fantasy theme is acceptable, another option to consider is Quest: A Time of Heroes. Z-man picked this one up a while ago in English. It's a RPG in a box. Comes with stand-ups for the characters and complete adventures ready to run (in a campaign mode as well). This one definitely has the leveling aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I think witches are sexy *blush*
You've got about 7 hours to mail some yank and see if he will ship to Blighty. I've added the link to the ebay section of the Advanced Heroquest page although it's actually for two games.

From the looks of that it's roughly one complete base set of each of HeroQuest and its kith Advanced HeroQuest. AHQ is itself kin to Warhammer Quest and looks unpunched in main photo so it looks like it will sell for a good price for buyer with only one bid. Rules and rules expansions are available from various sources. You might even be able to improvise Warhammer Quest with the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only because it is similar in theme to Mice and Mystics...

Mouse Guard RPG

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls