Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hello,

I thought I would post a review for anyone looking to purchase the game but wants some information regarding gameplay.
I will focus primarily from a solitaire perspective:

I thoroughly enjoy Runebound for numerous reasons one being theme.
The game does a very nice job of creating an ongoing adventure with an
end purpose in mind. The combat has both strategic and luck elements with
Dice rolls. The strategy comes in when to defend or attack and how to effectively use your weapons, armor or artifacts. The main goal of the game is clear: defeat the main boss or three of his dragonlords. I would highly suggest using Mr. Skeletor's doom track for solo play as it creates a sense of tension. The rules are easily found here on bgg. By the time you are ready to face the toughest challenges in the game you will be an experienced fighter with allies, weapons, armor and artifacts to assist you. The challenges are arranged by color and level of difficulty (green, yellow, blue and red). You engage in challenges as you move around the map. When you increase in levels, you decide how your character improves his stats.

Also the challenge can be difficult especially against Margath the main boss. I enjoy a challenge in games though so this is a plus for me.

Some negatives are: I assume after you have played and won multiple times, you will eventually see all the cards and although you will not know which was will be played, it will become somewhat repetitive.

Also the expansions for this game are expensive and basically you only have a few options i.e. ebay, bgg or amazon to purchase the expanions.

Hopefully this is helpful as an overview of the game and if you want follow up, just ask a quesion. I personally love Runebound for solo play and I rate it a 9/9.5 out of ten.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't played Magic Realm yet but this game is the best Adventure game in the market!

The theme and adventure really shine in this game. I've bought and played Mage Knight Board Game past week (I've bought it a long time ago but only had the courage to play it last week) and I found that MK is a lesser game compared to RB when it comes to adventure.
I guess MK is a better game when played competitively in some scenarios since it has several goals set in those scenarios that can drive players to clash against eachother, but RB with the Character Deck expansions really provides a great sense of competitive gameplay if needed.

And the expansions for RB are really the best!
New maps, new heroes, new foes, new win-conditions and objectives, all with theme dripping everywhere!

I guess this game is pretty underrated, I find it THE GAME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
I didn't played Magic Realm yet but this game is the best Adventure game in the market!

The theme and adventure really shine in this game. I've bought and played Mage Knight Board Game past week (I've bought it a long time ago but only had the courage to play it last week) and I found that MK is a lesser game compared to RB when it comes to adventure.
I guess MK is a better game when played competitively in some scenarios since it has several goals set in those scenarios that can drive players to clash against eachother, but RB with the Character Deck expansions really provides a great sense of competitive gameplay if needed.

And the expansions for RB are really the best!
New maps, new heroes, new foes, new win-conditions and objectives, all with theme dripping everywhere!

I guess this game is pretty underrated, I find it THE GAME!
I agree 100 percent. It is funny that you mentioned Mage Knight
because I was deciding on either Mage Knight, Defenders of the Realm
and Runebound. After much research, I went with Runebound and could not be
happier. I am sure the other games are excellent but for what I was
looking for Runebound rules!

Cant wait to try the expansions as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Landry
United States
Harvest
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you will get dozens of plays from the base set before the cards begin to become repetitive. That's just a couple bucks a play!

For comparison, I just spent $15 to see a single two hour movie in 3D! It's funny how we choose to value our money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RB 2ed is a fun game... but $149.50 on Amazon.com!?! DON'T PAY THAT!!! It's fun, but it's a game that runs a course and you move on from.

Hopefully FFG is going to bust out RB 3ed here pretty soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Cracky wrote:
RB 2ed is a fun game... but $149.50 on Amazon.com!?! DON'T PAY THAT!!! It's fun, but it's a game that runs a course and you move on from.

Hopefully FFG is going to bust out RB 3ed here pretty soon...
Yeah you can easily find it on bgg or Ebay
for 50ish. Well worth it imo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$50? yup.

If you can get Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim for a good price, get that too. One of the best expansions to any game i've ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
[q="Cracky"]$50? yup.

If you can get Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim for a good price, get that too. One of the best expansions to any game i've ever

I read some great reviews for Sands but there is
nota final boss fight correct? Also is it fun
Solo?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Osborne
England
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I have sat down with RB a couple of times recently after having let it gather dust for a couple of years and found it rather repetitive and dull.

Maybe it was my frame of mind at the time. Think I will leave it a bit and go back to it as it does continue to get rave reviews, its either that or sell it along with the Essential Collection which I bought at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
paosborne wrote:
Interesting, I have sat down with RB a couple of times recently after having let it gather dust for a couple of years and found it rather repetitive and dull.

Maybe it was my frame of mind at the time. Think I will leave it a bit and go back to it as it does continue to get rave reviews, its either that or sell it along with the Essential Collection which I bought at the same time.
Interesting. The game is new to me so maybe after numerous plays it will feel the same. Do have any expansions you may want to sell?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q !

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmb
surferthanos wrote:
[q="Cracky"]$50? yup.

If you can get Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim for a good price, get that too. One of the best expansions to any game i've ever

I read some great reviews for Sands but there is
nota final boss fight correct? Also is it fun
Solo?

Thanks
There's no final boss fight in Sands (as opposed to say, Island of Dread) but per its rules, you do have to take down at least one red challenge in order to win.

I've only played it solo once but I definitely liked it more than IoD (the final boss felt kind of anti-climactic, but that's just me). I liked the way that the "quests" in it try to integrate all the locations on the map (so that they're more than just flavor text on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
From the solo point of view, comparisons with Mage Knight are kind of misleading. While both are nominally adventure (run around and fight stuff and improve yourself) games, they scratch a very different itch for me. Runebound is what I play if I want to go out and kill monsters (always read the cards out loud to improve the adventurous feel); Mage Knight is what I play if I want to solve a series of intriguing tactical puzzles. I never have any problem choosing between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Ostadan wrote:
From the solo point of view, comparisons with Mage Knight are kind of misleading. While both are nominally adventure (run around and fight stuff and improve yourself) games, they scratch a very different itch for me. Runebound is what I play if I want to go out and kill monsters (always read the cards out loud to improve the adventurous feel); Mage Knight is what I play if I want to solve a series of intriguing tactical puzzles. I never have any problem choosing between them.
I do the same with Runebound regarding read the cards. In reference to Mage Knight, are there different scenarios for winning conditions or do you have to defeat a boss/city?

Also, are the rules really that difficult?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Tarken
msg tools
I was looking for a game to play by myself and I read your review......I got the game cuz of your great reviews! Thanks

I have a question, what expansion pack would you recommendation purchasing first? And, is there a place you go to first?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls