Subject: Great Cthulhu Mythos Games... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind...
Microbadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: I'm Against RacismMicrobadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: Into The Echoside fanMicrobadge: Tyrants of the Underdark fan
I've been a fan of the Cthulhu Mythos well before I ventured into board gaming all those years ago. In finding that Cthulhu has literally BLOWN UP the gaming world, I was wondering just how many different types of Cthulhu branded games are actually out there.

I know of:
Arkham Horror
Elder Sign
Cthulhu Wars
The CoC LCG
and all of the CoC RPG's

I wonder what other games the posters in this awesome community would suggest.

Also, I'm planning on running my first CoC RPG 6th edition session "The Haunting" at Con in the Castle, held at Ravenwood Castle Sept. 5th-8th. I thought that would be a pretty awesome setting. Hopefully it'll be a stormy night in the Castle...to really get those Horror/Mythos juices flowing lol. Being my first CoC RPG game I'm running, I wonder if anyone had any tips for being a good keeper. I'll definitely be "guinea pigging" this session on my wife and my fellow innkeeper at the Castle muahahaha (probably causing copious amounts of insanity fumbling through the rules for the first time.) If anyone is in the area, I'd love to try it out on them as well!

It just seems that whenever I go to a convention or some other related event, the Cthulhu RPG's especially seem sought after. They are ALWAYS booked up completely. So I thought screw it...I'm going to run one of my own...

Happy Gaming!

Genuinely,
Zymm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch of Salem is also one you might want to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a fan of dungeon crawlers then give Mansions of Madness a look. It offers a much more personal take on the mythos then a-lot of other Lovecraft themed boardgames, think CoC meets Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Microbadge: "Made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs."Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: English syntax to Jedi not important is!Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fan
You can check out the Cthulhu Family page for more Cthulhu games:

Cthulhu Mythos.

Also, over at the RPG realm of the Geek, you might find a lot of Cthulhu role players meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Demonstrating quite how 'required' Cthulhu versions are:
Smash Up - The Obligatory Cthulhu Set

Munchkin...How (not) surprising
Munchkin Cthulhu

Fluxx...How (not) surprising (Well, yeah)
Cthulhu Fluxx

I got bored already I'm stopping there for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle Meester
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Upon this blasted heath you stop our way!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Cthulhu obsessed Ohioan! Nice to meet you. Through hell or high water, I will see you at Ravenwood Castle in September.

I am new to gaming, but not new to Lovecraft, so the Mythos games are by far my favorite thing to play. Cheers to this thread!

My only additional contribution to the thread is for Innsmouth Escape, which I got for stupid cheap at Thought Hammer on their going-out-of-business sale. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the general consensus seems to be that it's biggest strength is the speed of the game. Anyone here have experience with this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not underestimate The Stars Are Right (SJG). A great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
We had lots of fun with IE last time we played it (first time, actually). Although that was mostly due to in-jokes and weird humor, which is also why it took us the better part of two hours to finish. I can, however, see that it can be played in well under an hour...
We were surprised by how close it was in the end. Still, I reckon that this is not a game I will get out more than every now and again.

There are a few more games:
Cults Across America, a location control game with lots of dice-rolling figting between different units
Cthulhu 500, a cthulhu car racing card game
Cthulhu Rising, a tile laying (and calculation) game that has nothing to do with the Mythos
Do You Worship Cthulhu?, a Werewolves clone
The Doom That Came To Atlantic City, some kind of Monopoly meets Mythos
Chez Cthulhu, a fun card game (can't really explain what it is)
Cthulhu Gloom, a "take that" card game with transparent cards and macabre humor

Only played the last one, and found it to be fun. The others hold not interest for me, however...

Edit:
Played TSaR, and found it to be not that good of a game. Fun for 2-player, less fun for 3, and none at all for 4. Things change so much during other players' turns, that you can start looking for combinations only on your own turn. Planning is almost impossible in 4-p.

Other than that, I highly recommend Mansions of Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
WitWief wrote:
Another Cthulhu obsessed Ohioan! Nice to meet you. Through hell or high water, I will see you at Ravenwood Castle in September.

I am new to gaming, but not new to Lovecraft, so the Mythos games are by far my favorite thing to play. Cheers to this thread!

My only additional contribution to the thread is for Innsmouth Escape, which I got for stupid cheap at Thought Hammer on their going-out-of-business sale. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the general consensus seems to be that it's biggest strength is the speed of the game. Anyone here have experience with this one?
I've played it, one time. So I'm no expert on it. But the two other players, and myself, all found it to be one of the worst first time experiences we'd had with a board game. It's never come out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose there's also Building An Elder God, but I've not played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: I'm Against RacismMicrobadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: Into The Echoside fanMicrobadge: Tyrants of the Underdark fan
All of these are awesome suggestions...I look forward to trying them all. Muahahahaha!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Miskatonic School for Girls and Miskatonic Madness? I've never played either but they belong in a list of Lovecraftian games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A surprising one coming out is Hornet Leader: Cthulhu Conflict

Quote:
The year is 2015… from the chill waters of the South Atlantic, the long-fabled Island of R’lyeh home to The Great Cthulhu rises from the depths. At long last, The Stars are Right, and the time of reckoning is upon the world.

Your carrier task force is in position to engage the hoards and overlords of the invasion as they spread across the globe.

Hornet Leader - The Cthulhu Expansion is an expansion to Hornet Leader. Players choose their mission aircraft and prep them to best suit their needs. The right pilots and the right armaments are key to a succesful mission. When the mission starts the player places his aircraft on the tactical map and does his best to bypass or destroy the enemy defenses before striking the mission objective.

You must own Hornet Leader to use this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot more out there but Ron allready pointed out the more or less complete list.

If you want to know which ones are good, these are my favorites.

Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition): No boardgame can be as good as an RPG when it comes to storytelling. Some of the rules are strange and maybe one of the other Mythos RPGs is better (I have not tried them.) but CoC is my favorite RPG.

Mansions of Madness is Mythos themed dungeon crawler and one of my favorite boardgames. It has a lot of storytelling, sets a great mood and is quite close to a RPG.

The Stars Are Right is a brain twisting abstract with a Cthulhu theme. Also a very nice game.

If you want to play something easy and fun there is also a wide variety of Mythos games. My favorite in this regard is Chez Cthulhu.

And these are the games I did not like at all: Cthulhu Dice (close to not beeing a game at all), Witch of Salem (based on the bad Mythos adaption of German author Wolfgang Hohlbein and te mechanics need some houserules to make the game OK), Cthulhu 500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmb
Jacobzymm wrote:
In finding that Cthulhu has literally BLOWN UP the gaming world, I was wondering just how many different types of Cthulhu branded games are actually out there.
If anything was likely literally to blow up the world I'd put my money on Cthulhu.

By the way, at the time of this writing, the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition Kickstarter has about 24 hours left. It's not a board game, of course, but I just mention in case you hadn't gotten wind of it.

Zymm, there are are also many terrific resources specifically for running "The Haunting" scenario - some on rpggeek, some on yog-sothoth. A Google search will find them. There is also plenty of advice for first time keepers on both sites, too. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, how could I forget them...
- Creatures & Cultists, a straight-off fighting monster game (dice rolling and silly doodleing included)
- Cthul-B-Que, a PnP silly card game about things that should not be on the grill...
- Mythos, basically one of the first CCGs with this theme
- Unspeakable Words, basically a card-driven word game, but with cute art and some quite funny twists (if you use the optional rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Microbadge: I am a Live Action Spam HunterMicrobadge: It's not over 'til it's overMicrobadge: Thumbs up says 'I Love You' in that icky BGG kinda way.Microbadge: Chaotic GoodMicrobadge: I love Europe
Moved from General Gaming to Recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle Meester
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Upon this blasted heath you stop our way!
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:

I've played it, one time. So I'm no expert on it. But the two other players, and myself, all found it to be one of the worst first time experiences we'd had with a board game. It's never come out again.
Lol. That is quite an (un)endorsement. If you don't mind me asking, where do you think Innsmouth Escape goes wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythos! An awesome game.

Can also add The Hills Rise Wild!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yeah I saw the 7th edition running on there...but it was between that or my $350 Cthulhu Wars pledge and well...I want those damn minis lol. The production in that game is going to be ridiculous. Not to mention summoning monsters is going to be pretty badass. I'll have to pick up 7th edition in retail unfortunately, though I'll probably pledge for a pdf copy.
Thanks for all the resources!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjfalzone wrote:
How about Miskatonic School for Girls and Miskatonic Madness? I've never played either but they belong in a list of Lovecraftian games.
Avoid Miskatonic School for Girls. It's just an awful, awful game.

If you are interested in a Chaos in the Old World-esque game, then check out Cthulhu Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldritch Condiment
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArkhamInvestigator is on my list of things to check out this summer. Looks promising.

And another hearty endorsement for mansions of madness. Cults across America is good fun in the Cthulhu Silly category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming out this year:

Cthulhu Wars

The Doom That Came To Atlantic City

A Study in Emerald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
And as mentioned earlier, Hornet Leader The Cthulhu Conflict.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
WitWief wrote:
MilesF wrote:

Lol. That is quite an (un)endorsement. If you don't mind me asking, where do you think Innsmouth Escape goes wrong?
Don't mind at all. It was a few years ago that I played it, I remember the biggest complaints were that it seemed unbalanced in favor of the human player, too easy to wipe out the deep ones, and not enough real depth to the game. As I said, it was a while back, so I may not be remembering all the details well, but I remember I was very eager to finally get a chance to play the game, and far less than eager to let it come near the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |