Subject: Paula Deen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
The lady can afford better PR people, lawyers, and fixers. Does she have only family members running her business or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Who?
Or what...Oh its some cook (fuck me, a pretty loathsome example of the species).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know what this is about. Apparently she said a bad word once, but I haven't paid any attention. However, her new book is currently ranked #1 in Books on Amazon. Any publicity is good publicity, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
I don't really know what this is about. Apparently she said a bad word once, but I haven't paid any attention. However, her new book is currently ranked #1 in Books on Amazon. Any publicity is good publicity, I guess.
You mean wanting to have a "traditional southern wedding" complete with slaves, or promoting high sugar recipes whilst being a spokes person for an insulin manufacturer? By the way Dean herself said she used "nigger" at times, not once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
isnt that the fat cook who got a heart attack from eating too much of her own food
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
SabreRedleg wrote:
Any publicity is good publicity, I guess.
Possibly, she has been dropped by Food Network, 4 restaurants, A Ham Company, and Wal-Mart. I suppose the inevitable support surge in other business she has could make up for that income in the short term, possibly. But in the long run unless she replaces those sponsors, thats a losing proposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
single sentences wrote:
isnt that the fat cook who got a heart attack from eating too much of her own food
ah yeah she is in any other profession that would be a sign of immense incompetence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
single sentences wrote:
ah yeah she is in any other profession that would be a sign of immense incompetence
I think that if you had a driving instructor who encouraged his students to drive as fat as they can but was a spokesperson for a accident and recovery company questions might also be asked about their fitness for the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
SabreRedleg wrote:
Any publicity is good publicity, I guess.
Possibly, she has been dropped by Food Network, 4 restaurants, A Ham Company, and Wal-Mart. I suppose the inevitable support surge in other business she has could make up for that income in the short term, possibly. But in the long run unless she replaces those sponsors, thats a losing proposition.
She's 66 years old (or something close to it), and has amassed a fair amount of wealth. While I'm sure she'll miss the level of fame, it's not like her remaining years of potentially forced retirement will be rough.

In honor of Paula, enjoy this appropriate butter sculpture:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see it - now here is hoping that the media goes after other celebrities who use racially insensitive language - regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
Microbadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: impliesMicrobadge: Always the Banker
slatersteven wrote:
I think that if you had a driving instructor who encouraged his students to drive as fat as they can but was a spokesperson for a accident and recovery company questions might also be asked about their fitness for the job.
Freudian slip, heh-heh. I was about to ask whether this was really a problem across the pond, but I know your bridges aren't that weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Glad to see it - now here is hoping that the media goes after other celebrities who use racially insensitive language - regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum....
I agree. Where do we start?

Personally I feel like Deen got the short end of the celebrity stick here. Sure, she's an asshole. Everyone knew that. And if she'd been fired/dropped because of the way her managers were blatantly abusive to employees as alleged in the lawsuit that started it all, I'd have no problem with that. The narrative is that she's been dropped for admitting to using a racial slur at some unspecified point in the past.

I mean, I'm not a big fan of racial slurs. I think people who use them are terrible. I also think that if you fired every CEO who would honestly admit to using some racial/sexual/religious slur "sometime in the past" there would be an awful lot of high level job openings. This feels like a double standard to me. It's not like she threw down a n-bomb on the air or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
djgutierrez77 wrote:
The narrative is that she's been dropped for admitting to using a racial slur at some unspecified point in the past.
I thought it was for all the things she revealed in her deposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
single sentences wrote:
Quoting yourself to get around your self-imposed single-sentence schtick? How gauche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Amazon addictMicrobadge: I DON'T ROLL ON SHABBOS!Microbadge: I've visited all 50 US statesMicrobadge: Alice In Chains fanMicrobadge: Legacy games fan
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

Personally I feel like Deen got the short end of the celebrity stick here. Sure, she's an asshole. Everyone knew that. And if she'd been fired/dropped because of the way her managers were blatantly abusive to employees as alleged in the lawsuit that started it all, I'd have no problem with that. The narrative is that she's been dropped for admitting to using a racial slur at some unspecified point in the past.

I mean, I'm not a big fan of racial slurs. I think people who use them are terrible. I also think that if you fired every CEO who would honestly admit to using some racial/sexual/religious slur "sometime in the past" there would be an awful lot of high level job openings. This feels like a double standard to me. It's not like she threw down a n-bomb on the air or something.
Pretty good post, although I'm surprised you think people who use racial slurs are terrible. I thought you were in the camp where language isn't as big a deal as actions and intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Utrecht wrote:

Pretty good post, although I'm surprised you think people who use racial slurs are terrible. I thought you were in the camp where language isn't as big a deal as actions and intent.
Using a racial slur is an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmb
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me. I think I was perhaps four years old when I was taught that pithy little proverb. Apparently they can, however, lead to a loss of livelihood. Paula Deen's unwillingness to immediately demonstrate contrition collapsed very quickly, but was impressive while it lasted. I think she should just get a job as Mel Gibson's personal chef, and leave it at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to have spawned a new bingo game…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Utrecht wrote:
She's a Democrat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Duke UniversityMicrobadge: Lemur fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: Daniel Tosh fan - And for That We Thank You
Am I the only one who came in here hoping this would be pertaining to the 'S' in RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
She's a Democrat.
excellent - here is hoping that Maher is next. (and we can drop the pretense that the GOP are the racists)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
She's a Democrat.
excellent - here is hoping that Maher is next. (and we can drop the pretense that the GOP are the racists)
Who are you arguing with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Utrecht wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
She's a Democrat.
It appears you assumed she was a Republican though. Now that you know she is not, can we drop the pretense that the media only goes after Republicans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
And not one of them brought their one black friend.
I read an article that featured that picture and there was a black women at the front of the line. They interviewed her and she fully supported Paula Deen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |