Daniel Sundström
Sweden
Bollnäs
Hälsingland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and am looking through the Adventure Book. Hoping to be able to play Adventure 2 tonight with some friends, but we'll see. Anyway, I was wondering about the wording under the "special adventure rules" for Adventure 2.

The goal of the adventure is to kill (and collect) twelve monsters. It says "if a Hero draws a Monster card and there are no figures of that type available because all of the figures are in the Heroes' collection, discard that card". My question is, do I draw a new Monster card instead of the one I drew or do i just discard it? It does not say, so normally I would play this as a "don't draw a new card"-situation. But what's got me wondering about this is the next paragraph, which talks about the Legion Devil. It says "if you draw a second or third Legion Devil Monster card later in this adventure, discard the card. Do not put the card on the bottom of the Monster deck and do not draw a new Monster card to replace it."

When talking about the Legin Devil cards, it cleary tells you not to draw a new card, but since the wording in the first paragraph does not, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm supposed to draw a new card after all. I'm a bit confused about this, so maybe someone can help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for the first part, do NOT draw a replacement monster card, just go by what the card says.
Legion Devils are a bit of a special case, because when you pull the first card, it actually summons 3 minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sundström
Sweden
Bollnäs
Hälsingland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracoprimus wrote:
for the first part, do NOT draw a replacement monster card, just go by what the card says.
Well, what if I draw a card that calls for a cave bear to be summoned and all cave bears have already been killed and collected, what do I do? Discard and have a monster-free Villain phase or draw a new one? and also, is this scenario even possible? I mean, are there more than three cave bear monster cards in the deck?

Dracoprimus wrote:
Legion Devils are a bit of a special case, because when you pull the first card, it actually summons 3 minis.
I realize this and understand why the second and third Legon Devil card has to be discarded. But then why am I not drawing a replacement monster card instead of the second or third Legion Devil card? In this instance, I get a monster-free Villain phase.

I'm feeling really daft by now, so I appologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've been looking around a bit since I saw your post last night and there really isn't a definitive answer that I've been able to dig up to support my thoughts. I personally have always played adventure 2 like Michael and do not draw another monster card if all the minis have been collected. I reasoned it out this way; to draw a new monster card you actually have to add to the rules as written, if you do exactly as directed and no more than you would not draw a new monster card. Typically when I'm confused about a rule in any game, if I have to add to the text as written, it's probably not the way it was intended and I'm probably over thinking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Cycling fanMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: World of Warcraft fanMicrobadge: Rainbow
There is 1 Monster card for every figure in the game. With the sole exception of the Legion Devils, for which all figures come out on the first card, the only way I can think of to draw a Monster for which all figures have already been taken is if you have cycled through the entire Monster deck and re-shuffled the previous kills, which must have been discarded by spending Experience. I think you would have collected more than 12 Monsters by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weimond Dembrink
msg tools
Isn't the reason that there seem to be enough cards to match the number of creatures in case several heroes would have placed the same monster?
In this case if a monster is slain you collect it's card to your xp pile, feel free to reuse the miniature, there's no reason not to, since why would you make use of every identical miniature when you usually only have at least 2 of the same kind in the field at the time, not even that is true for every onster in every game.

Unless you got your miniatures of the same kind painted diferent and would like to have some variation I see no reason not to reuse the minis of the defeated monsters because the minis don't go into the xp pile and this should always make sure you don't need to take out every miniature in the first place and i doubt you would need all anyway because you will always defeat some of them as the mission progresses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls