Subject: Capturing a Stronghold with only Companion or Minion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Patrick

Medford
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to find this in the rules and forums but to no avail. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Can a Minion or Companion capture a victory point stronghold or city alone or do they need an army unit with them?

I've seen the definition of an army as regular/elite/leader but also that Companions/Minions are counted in the army size. The rules talk about an army capturing a city....so is the companion only an army when he's part of that army or can he be an army alone?

Sorry if I'm missing anything here, but I don't have the rules in front of me at the moment.

Thanks for your help

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You always need an army to capture. Just as companions/minions can't be killed when they are alone, they can't attack by themselves either.

Companions/minions/leaders are never counted in army size. They give you extra combat/leader dice, but they cannot attack without an army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned this the hard way. Yes, you must have at least one army unit to accompany your companion into the stronghold or area.

I think there should be an exception to this rule with Dead Men of Dunharrow. Even if there are no units available for Aragorn to summon (resurrect) at least one unit from the dead pile into Pelargir and take control of the region. Or, if not that, then one unit should be allowed to move from Minas Tirith, or Dol Amroth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Long
United States
Brush Prairie
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
I learned this the hard way. Yes, you must have at least one army unit to accompany your companion into the stronghold or area.

I think there should be an exception to this rule with Dead Men of Dunharrow. Even if there are no units available for Aragorn to summon (resurrect) at least one unit from the dead pile into Pelargir and take control of the region. Or, if not that, then one unit should be allowed to move from Minas Tirith, or Dol Amroth.
After about 10 games it seems like really knowing the cards becomes a big part of the game. Now i find my self doing things based on cards that haven't come into the hand yet. And in 10 more games i am pretty sure my actions will also be adjusted to what the other player hasn't shown yet
(to a higher degree than just knowing what ent cards have come out yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Kickerz
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Events are usually more important to the Sa player than the FP in my experience. Withiout a good wk cycle you are hard up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Long
United States
Brush Prairie
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FPP event cards and their combat effects do seem harder to use than the SA player's lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Patrick

Medford
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies guys! My forum manners are sorely lacking soblue Our next play will be the third game and I think we'll finally have 99% of the rules down cool And I've finished painting all the minis...whew. This game rocks hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls